Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Rob Parker Won't Continue with ESPN

I know the last thread got out of hand and closed. However I figured anyone who was a part of it and reading it would be interested to know. I feel it was the right move. It stinks for someone to lose their job for saying something stupid whether they meant what they said or not. I feel it would set a bad example to treat certain people differently than others and I feel it was fair he was let go considering their stance it the past in similar matters.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...t-renewed-espn

ESPN will not renew its contract with commentator Rob Parker, who was suspended last month following remarks he made on "First Take" in which he questioned Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III's "blackness."

Rob Parker
    Parker

"Rob Parker's contract expired at year's end. Evaluating our needs and his work, including his recent RG III comments, we decided not to renew his deal," an ESPN spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

During a Dec. 13 episode of "First Take" on ESPN2, Parker was discussing Griffin's answer to a question about Griffin's role as an African-American quarterback. In questioning Griffin's "blackness," Parker cited that Griffin has a white fiancée and is rumored to be Republican.

Among his comments, Parker, who is black, said: "Is he a brother or a cornball brother?"

Parker later issued an apology on his Twitter account. A day later, on Dec. 20, ESPN announced he was suspended for 30 days.

SCF Rewards
    Country

ESPN took far too long to "let go" a racist with no talent other than making Skip Bayless look good
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

It stinks for someone to lose their job for saying something stupid whether they meant what they said or not.

Except 95% of his job was "just don't say something stupid".

Like Krusty the Klown says: There's only two rules in show business. Don't swear and don't whip it out." This fell under "swearing"

SCF Rewards
    Country

I honestly dont understand that comment. What place does this have in sports reporting. They should state facts not sensationalize the news with blatant race baiting tactics.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

He deserved to be let go (because he technically wasn't fired), whoever let the comment air on the re-run was probably let go as well.

Parker has always been one to say dumb things just to see if it would stick.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Well it stuck and raised an uproar which is what he wanted.Rob Parker will have a job in about 2 weeks with another sport affiliate

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I didn't necessarily disagree with his line of thought even he was still making some serious insinuations and he should have came out with proof before he went there. I'm sorry to hear about him getting fired because I really don't believe that he had any malicious intentions. That being said that type of discussion was inappropriate for ESPN and would have been more appropriate on a Black forum. Trust me I know from personal experience with my dealings on P&R.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

I didn't necessarily disagree with his line of thought even he was still making some serious insinuations and he should have came out with proof before he went there. I'm sorry to hear about him getting fired because I really don't believe that he had any malicious intentions. That being said that type of discussion was inappropriate for ESPN and would have been more appropriate on a Black forum. Trust me I know from personal experience with my dealings on P&R.

I guess my question is why does that discussion even have to exist on any medium? Like, I wouldn't go on a white people forum and discuss whether or not Tom Brady is white enough for my liking. Maybe RG3 doesn't make his decisions while thinking "How black am I going to look if I do this?" And he absolutely shouldn't. I think anyone should just be what they want to be. I'm a proud many things (Irishman, Pittsburgher, American), but I don't base how I do my hair, who I marry, etc. on those things.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

You want proof he's really black? Look at the guy. He's black.
    Does he fit into some self imposed racial pigeonhole? No.
    Asking if a guy is really black sets social equality back 30 years.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Seeing as the trash is being thrown out, why do they not do the same with Stephen A. Smith?

This guy is a solid piece of garbage.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast