Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Why Did I "Buy It Now"?

We all like to brag about our ebay 'steals", but try to hide our ebay goofs. Just curious about everyone's really bad purchases on ebay. Either you got caught up in a bidding war, or your fingers were faster than your brain hitting the "buy it now" button. I'll share mine. Last year, the day Forever Rivals was released I jumped all over a Doug Gilmour jersey /130. His Habs jerseys were few and far between and was just so excited to see one. About 2 minutes later, I realized..."Wait, I paid $20 for that?"

We all think we know what we're doing, but I know everyone has let emotion override common sense at least once or twice. I want to hear some other examples so I don't feel like such a goon.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

I had one a couple of weeks ago on a group break...more of a finger-fumble, but a mistake nonetheless. I was bidding team-by-team on a group break from one of my preferred sellers, so basically trying to snipe a good deal on one or more teams - which means I have no time to correct an error like bidding $520 on the Minnesota Wild instead of $5.20 as intended. Luckily, it only cost me a few bucks but I ended up paying close to $9 on them - and I didn't even get a hit! LOL

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I bought an Eric Staal ITG GU Stick card for $10 because for some reason I thought it was low until the moment the auction ended.

Luckily, it was a nice card and I had someone to trade it with. All in all I basically broke even, but still...

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I've done it more than a few times....

Can't think of a specific time / price off the top of my head, but often when something low #ed is brand new, I've found that I paid 30% more for the first eBay copy than what the second goes for.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I paid a ridiculous amount for a pair of sheet-cut artist proofs, my bad for not reading the auction title / descrition carefully and missing the fact that these were not pack inserted The Cup black 1/1's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

10-11 Between the Pipes Masked Men Emerald /340, $40 each for 3 Bobrovskys ($120) and $25 each for 6 Howards ($150).

Sure I needed them for the redemption and I'm very happy to have completed the redemptions but that is still some serious money for an insert that in any other BTP release would sell for under $5. But to be fair I did sell a couple Carey Prices at $50 each to help lighten the low on my wallet. Even though I moved the Bob PC, that redemption masked men card is and always will reside in my collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country

This one still irks me.

A borderline scam. I thought I was getting a steal until it came and was obviously a reprint worth $5, I gave it to my son to mangle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181142598710

The seller told me he was poor and spent the $25 on food for his family. No wonder. Block this seller. Buyer beware I guess.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

10-11 Between the Pipes Masked Men Emerald /340, $40 each for 3 Bobrovskys ($120) and $25 each for 6 Howards ($150).

Sure I needed them for the redemption and I'm very happy to have completed the redemptions but that is still some serious money for an insert that in any other BTP release would sell for under $5. But to be fair I did sell a couple Carey Prices at $50 each to help lighten the low on my wallet. Even though I moved the Bob PC, that redemption masked men card is and always will reside in my collection.

Man those things were going for crazy money. When they first announced the program I jumped on every copy out there I could find. Usually was able to get them under $10 but one or two probably went closer to $15. I know that when I posted my redeemed card that sparked something of a fury. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------

The only time I've probably badly overpaid for some stuff would be a few of the Gorges cards that hit the market in the past year. Stuff that I thought would be pretty scarce and all that, but recalling the headache of 08-09 OPC Retro Blank Back I wanted to ensure that I got the first one out there.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dmaksymyshyn's Items on eBay

I loved that time...I as selling those (sorry MattDMC) pretty high....and the Miller's I collected weren't going for that much. I may have overpaid for a few Miller's, but the redemption I got was worth it (only 4 were redeemed)!
    Man those things were going for crazy money. When they first announced the program I jumped on every copy out there I could find. Usually was able to get them under $10 but one or two probably went closer to $15. I know that when I posted my redeemed card that sparked something of a fury. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------

The only time I've probably badly overpaid for some stuff would be a few of the Gorges cards that hit the market in the past year. Stuff that I thought would be pretty scarce and all that, but recalling the headache of 08-09 OPC Retro Blank Back I wanted to ensure that I got the first one out there.

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

when score came out this year I didnt put any research into print run at all. First day they were on ebay saw 2 bobby ryan blacks, one for $25 and one for $15. Jumped all over the $15 as I have had a hard time finding his previous years blacks. of course the next day I saw another 4 or 5 on the bay for as low as $3......of course the blacks arent a SP this year and I got hosed....100% my laziness :(
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast