Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Imac7065's Items on eBay

Can someone make a LEGAL argument against gay marriage?

I'm getting sick of the right wing side of this debate... all they do is speak about religion, morals, how children need a mom and dad.. etc etc etc... none of them have made a single legal argument in favor of their side of the debate.

A law that restricts a right, rather than clarifying a right is always a bad law. Prohibition, drug laws, interstate tariffs, none of these things have ever been popular, and most have been struck down... just as DOMA will be this week.

Legally.. we cannot legislate morality, not your morals, not my morals, no one's morals.... equal protection under law means homosexuals have the right to be married, period.

Morally... is it any of your business, my business, or anyone else's business what 2 consenting adults do with their lives? I love how right wingers scream "government needs to stay out of my life".... then want the government to regulate the rights of marriage, abortion, drug use, and whether or not we pray in public. Nothing hypocritical here.

so lets hear it right wing, DOMA supporters... or anyone generally against gay marriage. Lets hear a LEGAL argument about it. Stop trying to legislate your morals!
    Last edited by Imac7065; 03-27-2013 at 03:52 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

We did this a while back....guess how many GOOD arguments we got?

Not surprising....ZERO!

And that's because they KNOW it to be true....there are no good reasons.

Any person that is anti-gay marriage is ether a bigot or in some way ignorant of reality.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

I think the only real legal defense is that this redefines marriage from being understood as between a man and woman to something else. (man/man, etc)

Also - since it is state who recognizes marriage in general I could see them making it states rights issue and kicking back to individual states to decide.
    Last edited by maccards44; 03-27-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

equal protection under law means homosexuals have the right to be married, period.

what does protection or laws have to do with marriage?

the only issue I have is how the government, including the military and business' will find the money to pay for all the new benefits?

not a legal issue, just a thought

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Besides religion there is no reason not to have gay marriage in the United States. It is impossible to have an argument against gay marriage without religion. BTW I do believe in God and the bible but not everyone else does so it is not my call nor it is the call of the gov't to push christanity or any other religion for the matter on non believers. What two consenting adults do in the privacy and comfort of their own bedrooms or who that want to marry for that matter is of no intrest to me. I have my own life and marriage to worry about.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Imac7065's Items on eBay

the only issue I have is how the government, including the military and business' will find the money to pay for all the new benefits?

A) It's called the equal protection clause.. which states that any right 1 american has, all americans have. If you and I have the right to be married.. so does a homosexual

B)... you're really going to justify prejudice by asking how much it might cost in tax revenue? Holy hell dude. "We cannot free the slaves because it will cripple the south's economy"... sound familiar?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The idea that if a legal argument can not be made then there is no valid argument is asinine. No legal argument can be made against sex with animals. No legal argument can be made against driving 200MPH. No legal argument can be made against citizens owning nuclear weapons. These are all social issues and people have a right to their own opinion about social issues.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

You're right. Laws have nothing to do with marriage. As such, explain to me how gay marriage being illegal is the law having nothing to do with marriage, Jay.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

The idea that if a legal argument can not be made then there is no valid argument is asinine. No legal argument can be made against sex with animals. No legal argument can be made against driving 200MPH. No legal argument can be made against citizens owning nuclear weapons. These are all social issues and people have a right to their own opinion about social issues.

Actually, with the animals you're raping them as they cannot legally consent.
    200mph puts many, many people in danger. We have laws to prevent such danger in other areas, why not speed?

Just spitballing.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

The idea that if a legal argument can not be made then there is no valid argument is asinine. No legal argument can be made against sex with animals. No legal argument can be made against driving 200MPH. No legal argument can be made against citizens owning nuclear weapons. These are all social issues and people have a right to their own opinion about social issues. Animals cannot speak to consent to having sex with humans. Driving 200 mph is extremely dangerous and their is a higher probability of getting in a accident and killing someone. The average Joe on the street is not trained on nuclear weapons and if unleashed on the public they could kill innocent people. Tell me again what your argument for gay marriage is.

response in bold.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast