Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ideas for a new project?

Hey guys, I saw one member's New Years Hobby Resolutions and it got me thinking about what I'd like to accomplish. I have decided that there is going to be one project I want to complete and stay focused on throughout the year. I don't know whether it would be a jersey set, autograph set, etc. My problem is that I probably only open about 5/6 boxes a year, and maybe an equal number of blasters. In the past, I've tried collecting my favorite players John Carlson and Dmitry Orlov, but they aren't big named guys yet and it seems like nobody has anything of them. If they do, it's something like a Cup RPA or card that I could never afford. I've tried the Game Worn Gear jersey set, but I got about 10/100 cards and it just hit a wall, and i got frustrated and bored. My main problem is that I am a college kid on a budget and I only get money basically over the summer from working. I'm about to open a PayPal account to sell/buy cards, but I honestly don't have many cards that are even that good because I can't open anything high end like the Cup or Dominion, and anytime i open something in the middle, like Titanium and things like that, I get destroyed and get barely anything of note.

I'd like to work on a nice looking set, something that is challenging but doable that I won't get bored with - that's my main issue. I don't want to keep doing player collections because with my cards and lack of money, there is no way I would ever be able to keep up with an individual collection. I do have some nice PC cards that I would probably make available to complete this set.

All I'm asking for here is just some suggestions for a mid-end set that is doable and that would generally keep my interest. I know it's a broad topic, but I don't really have anything nailed down so my option are also broad :). Thanks for anyone who responds' help!

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I found that some of the newer cards are probably harder to put together than some of the late 90's.

There are some fabulous Subsets out there to put together with some of the most incredible designs, especially the Crown Royale, Pacific, Omega Subsets, Invincible, etc.

Cards like Freeze-Out Die-Cuts, Omega Silks, Omega Ornaments, Revolution Ice, etc. Very tough to pull in terms of ratios, but you will get them accomplished.

In terms of cool subset cards nowadays, there have not been any produced other than the Championship Rings, everything else is flat-out bland garbage.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dsslbrooks's Items on eBay

I put together All World Team- Not tooooo expensive

I also put together ITG1980s USA team.. that was extremely hard, but love it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not sure if you have any interest in the upcoming ITG 1990s release, but the autograph set from that one might be fun to chase depending on the number of SP autos...I'm considering that one myself.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the opinions. I wouldn't be as interested in any of the older products, as I was too little in the 90's to have a grip on all that back that lol. But some of them do sound fun for sure!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Masked Men from Between the Pipes is a great-looking and somewhat challenging set to do. And if you ever get tired of them, they're pretty easy to trade away.

This years Canvas from Upper Deck is in the same mold, it has some of the best photographs on card, but can be tougher to collect depending on how many shortprints there are in series 2 (if they'll make one).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

A few ideas:
    Team "Sets"
    Assuming you are a Capitals fan:
    -A Young Gun (or rookie card) of every player on the Capitals or of any Capital from 2005/06 on or something like that. Cheap (other than Ovi really) and cool to do.
    -A jersey card of every player on the roster. Again, doesn't have to be super expensive :D
    -An Auto card of every player on the roster. Autos will be a little more costly... but... ya never know.

Other ideas:
    -Spell out your username/name with letters from Prime and what not.
    -Team base sets from every product (would be pretty fun, actually)

As far as sets go...
    -Freshman Fabric Rookie Jersey Autos (Generally fairly cheap, especially so far, and they look good)
    -Some subset from Certified if you like Shiny cards :D
    -Artifacts dual jerseys

Lots of stuff to do actually... I might do one :D

SCF Rewards
    Country

A few ideas:
    Team "Sets"
    Assuming you are a Capitals fan:
    -A Young Gun (or rookie card) of every player on the Capitals or of any Capital from 2005/06 on or something like that. Cheap (other than Ovi really) and cool to do.
    -A jersey card of every player on the roster. Again, doesn't have to be super expensive :D
    -An Auto card of every player on the roster. Autos will be a little more costly... but... ya never know.

Other ideas:
    -Spell out your username/name with letters from Prime and what not.
    -Team base sets from every product (would be pretty fun, actually)

As far as sets go...
    -Freshman Fabric Rookie Jersey Autos (Generally fairly cheap, especially so far, and they look good)
    -Some subset from Certified if you like Shiny cards :D
    -Artifacts dual jerseys

Lots of stuff to do actually... I might do one :D

I like the team set ideas, I actually worked on the YG part of the deal and have a pretty substantial number of them already, minus the Ovi and Backstrom. Auto's would definitely be more tough but I've considered that as well. But trying all three of those would definitely keep my interest I think and be time consuming...I'll think about that. Thanks to all answers so far!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

I like the team set ideas, I actually worked on the YG part of the deal and have a pretty substantial number of them already, minus the Ovi and Backstrom. Auto's would definitely be more tough but I've considered that as well. But trying all three of those would definitely keep my interest I think and be time consuming...I'll think about that. Thanks to all answers so far!

I'm slowly plugging away at mine for the Canucks, at least my all time greats from the team/organization :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm slowly plugging away at mine for the Canucks, at least my all time greats from the team/organization :)

That's really cool! I know the Young Guns would be easy to do, but id have to figure out the players for GU/AU. I like the 05/06-present timeframe because since I'm younger, thats the time of hockey I remember best. Should I collect one of each player, regardless of how long they played for us, since then? I feel it would be better because it would be a pretty straight forward checklist to do.