Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Ehrencrona83's Items on eBay

Nicklas Backstrom not signing cards?

Hi all, anyone else noticed that Nicklas Backstrom has not had a hard signed auto in a product in years? Does anybody know if he does not sign anymore?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

12-13 Fleer Retro, but it's a sticker, so could have been sitting for awhile.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jogesc2's Items on eBay

Are current players who are part of the NHLPA allowed to do that? Can they just say I don't want to sign cards?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... but based on my understanding:

Absolutely. Their image can be used on cards.... that's part of the group licensing.... the old BAP sets were PA sponsored, so players were strongly encouraged to sign those cards. Other than that... they can sign or not sign at their own discretion. Nobody can make them do it, the card companies have to pay them to do it. I think the rookies may be pressured into obliging for the crazy volume of signatures that first year players sign.

Are current players who are part of the NHLPA allowed to do that? Can they just say I don't want to sign cards?