Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

Is Obamacare intended to force people into government assistance?

hey guys -

no article, just sharing my own experience. I purchase my own insurance because my employer doesn't provide any (only 3 full time employees). I carry blue cross for myself, my wife, and my daughter, (and son on the way). We have elected to purchase insurance that does not cover pregnancy because it runs roughly 400-500 more a month. As such, we are paying for this pregnancy out of pocket because it will cost less than 15 months worth of increased insurance rates. Once obamacare hits next year, all blue cross policies will disappear and we will have to choose a new one. Unfortunately, these new policies are required to carry prescription plans and pregnancy. Therefore, even though we will be done having children, we are going to be forced to pay hundreds more a month in insurance costs to have an insurance that provides a service we don't want or need.
    But fear not, if we are unable to pay the new insurance costs, we easily qualify for government assistance in the form of federal subsidies. So we are forcing insurance companies to charge hundreds more while at the same time offering free federal subsidies. How is this not, to some degree, forcing people who otherwise would not need or want federal assistance, into accepting just that?

Now I do ask a favor of the boards. I know I am typically anti-obama so it will be easy for some to dismiss this as just a rant against him. However, I can genuinely say I would have this issue regardless of who wrote the law or who passed it. So if you will, please deal with my topic and not just assume I am bashing obama. Because for me, this is much bigger than Obama. I could care less who passed this law. I take pride in not needing federal assistance and being able to provide for my family without it. It isn't always easy but we make it work. This new law feels like an attempt to trap the middle class income group who are above needing assistance but not so well off that this won't effect them. Thoughts?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Everyone wants to say Obamacare is an epic fail before the law is even enacted. When it comes to pass if there are major problems with it I will blame the republicans. When Obamacare was being worked on instead of working with the Obama administration on comimg up with a health care plan that we can all live with they instead played politics as usual. Obamacare is far from perfect but it will probably be better than the system we currently have.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

first, congrats on the new one coming!!!

I listened to a radio program yesterday who talked about the same thing. I like the idea of health care coverage for all, but in my opinion, this is not the way to go about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Everyone wants to say Obamacare is an epic fail before the law is even enacted. When it comes to pass if there are major problems with it I will blame the republicans. When Obamacare was being worked on instead of working with the Obama administration on comimg up with a health care plan that we can all live with they instead played politics as usual. Obamacare is far from perfect but it will probably be better than the system we currently have.

first of all, not shocked that you just default to it being the republicans fault. but how in the world is forcing me into taking government assistance to pay for coverage that I don't need or want better than what we currently have? The only people this is better for are those who are already on government assistance.

SCF Rewards
    Country

first, congrats on the new one coming!!!

I listened to a radio program yesterday who talked about the same thing. I like the idea of health care coverage for all, but in my opinion, this is not the way to go about it.

thanks! I like the idea of coverage for all as well. However, all they would need to do is give people the option of not carrying certain types of coverage which would lower their bill. Requiring hundreds a month in maternity coverage for a couple who is done having kids is ridiculous.

SCF Rewards
    Country

first of all, not shocked that you just default to it being the republicans fault. but how in the world is forcing me into taking government assistance to pay for coverage that I don't need or want better than what we currently have? The only people this is better for are those who are already on government assistance.

I am not on gov't assistance and except for a short time that I was on unemployment have never been on any type of gov't assistance. I also currently do not have healthcare. I thank God that I haven't had anything seriously wrong with me during the time. I have a decent job and it will be good that I can finally get decent health care to go along with it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am not on gov't assistance and except for a short time that I was on unemployment have never been on any type of gov't assistance. I also currently do not have healthcare. I thank God that I haven't had anything seriously wrong with me during the time. I have a decent job and it will be good that I can finally get decent health care to go along with it.

have you done the math to see if you will be able to afford the new coverage without using government subsidies? honestly curious.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Now I do ask a favor of the boards. I know I am typically anti-obama so it will be easy for some to dismiss this...

first of all, not shocked that you just default to it being the republicans fault.

Irony.

As for the issue, are you or wife getting "fixed" so to speak? If not, then it is possible you could end up using that pregnancy insurance.
    As for being forced into it, I get your issue there. You don't want it now, you won;t want it then. Fair enough.

SCF Rewards
    Country

have you done the math to see if you will be able to afford the new coverage without using government subsidies? honestly curious.

Honestly the "math" is useless right now because no one really knows the true cost until Obamacare is actually rolled out. It may actually save a lot of money in the long run.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Irony.

As for the issue, are you or wife getting "fixed" so to speak? If not, then it is possible you could end up using that pregnancy insurance.
    As for being forced into it, I get your issue there. You don't want it now, you won;t want it then. Fair enough.

yeah, the issue will be getting "fixed" so pregnancy won't be an issue.

after speaking with both blue cross directly and my health insurance agent, it definitely feels like my only available options will be to accept assistance or cut every non-essential out of our budget just so we can purchase insurance that covers things we don't need.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast