Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

My parents did when I was younger.

My dad has been in unemployment and both my parents used to receive food stamps when they still had the actual paper food stamps, not the debit card they have now.

That's why I NEVER look down on poor people.....my family WAS poor when I was younger and I'll admit that I don't remember it too much, but I know that my parents really needed that help.

Currently, my parents are doing much better these days but who knows what would've happened to them or MYSELF if it wasn't for that help.

I'm only 24 years old, but I've been working since I was 17, and I managed to go to the University of Florida and Florida International University without incurring ANY debt.

I was fortunate to receive pell grants and scholarships to pay my way through school, and I intend to one day get a good job and PAY my FAIR SHARE of taxes to this government which HAS helped me and my family out to where we are now.

And I'm NOT the type to cross a bridge and then burn it down......other poor families need food stamps, unemployment, etc to help them out in their tough times.

I'm all for ending corruption of those that DO take advantage of the system, but some people love to talk as if these programs should be completely eliminated, and that's NOT the way to go about it.

Fair enough, and I, and I hope everyone on here wouldn't look down on poor people, but I look at programs such as food stamps and unemployment differently. I've seen my dad abuse that system for YEARS. (Although from what I hear, he's on disability now, of course). At the same time, at one point about 7-8 years ago, my mom fell on hard times and needed some assistance as she was a single mom raising me and 1 of my brothers. However, she happened to not use the system, and now has a successful job with the American Red Cross.

My real issue is I believe too many abuse the systems. I'm completely in favor of those who truly need the help to get it, but I feel a lot of people are just not motivated or use it as a way to "get back at the government".
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I fear this is running in circles, but....

I think most who object don't object to people who actually need the help, they object to the many people who use the system and don't need it. I know it's hard for some to grasp, but a lot of people don't need unemployment, but choose to use the system instead of doing something better with their life. I have/had 2 family members on unemployment, and can safely say they either didn't deserve it, or shouldn't of been allowed to have it.

One of those family members had a job offer that would've made him slightly more money than being on unemployment, but he turned it down because he could do nothing and still get his unemployment, and believe it or not, it's possible to live on unemployment.

It's not hard to grasp. What I'm saying and have been all along is to actually cut the program is ultimately counter productive, makes it easier for those who don't need it to use it and costs more in the end.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm guessing NO ONE here has ever received food stamps, unemployment or any other social safety net.

If you people really believe ANYONE can "live" on these things, then it's crystal clear you guys have no idea how poor people live day by day.

You can't use food stamps for anything other than Food.....OH MY GODZZZ, CAN YOU BELIEVE THESE POOR PEOPLE WANT TO EAT?!??!

Unemployment benefits are a FRACTION of what you used to be paid in your last job.....in other words, if you were making minimum wage, your unemployment benefits will be very, very low....and they don't last forever.

Do SOME people take advantage of these entitlements?

OF COURSE, but they are still necessary because the majority that receive it really do need it.

But who cares about poor people, when you have a job and are not in the same situation as them....right?

You would be guessing incorrectly.

My issue isn't with the people who get entitlements and need them. My issue is with the people who milk the sysytem. Living in a area with a high poverty rate I see a lot of system milking and I would disagree with the idea that SOME people take advantage. In fact, if forced into a corner I would wager that at least 50% of those in my area who get entitlements take advantage of it in some manner.

What do I consider "taking advantage" of the sysytem?...
    - The most obvious is those who could work but refuse to.
    - Those who have the money to buy beer and cigarettes and then use food stamps to buy food.
    - Those who work odd jobs or work and get paid under the table and still draw benefits.
    - A woman having a kid every two years because the welfare system provides for her needs during the pregnancy and during the first year or so after the baby is born. Along with the obvious scam of her "making a living" on welfare, the more kids she has the larger of a burden she becomes on the system. And yes, I know a woman like this. Not only does she have a kid every few years to keep getting benefits, her older children have been taken from her because of neglect. Yet she keeps right on having more and getting welfare for them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

You would be guessing incorrectly.

My issue isn't with the people who get entitlements and need them. My issue is with the people who milk the sysytem. Living in a area with a high poverty rate I see a lot of system milking and I would disagree with the idea that SOME people take advantage. In fact, if forced into a corner I would wager that at least 50% of those in my area who get entitlements take advantage of it in some manner.

What do I consider "taking advantage" of the sysytem?...
    - The most obvious is those who could work but refuse to.
    - Those who have the money to buy beer and cigarettes and then use food stamps to buy food.
    - Those who work odd jobs or work and get paid under the table and still draw benefits.
    - A woman having a kid every two years because the welfare system provides for her needs during the pregnancy and during the first year or so after the baby is born. Along with the obvious scam of her "making a living" on welfare, the more kids she has the larger of a burden she becomes on the system. And yes, I know a woman like this. Not only does she have a kid every few years to keep getting benefits, her older children have been taken from her because of neglect. Yet she keeps right on having more and getting welfare for them.

Well said how about those who use food stamps and access cards buthave 3 thousand dollar rims on their cars.Or 4 thousand dollar diamond chains and earings on.They abuse big time but i am sure their are some that feel these people need it and it is owed to them

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Well said how about those who use food stamps and access cards buthave 3 thousand dollar rims on their cars.Or 4 thousand dollar diamond chains and earings on.They abuse big time but i am sure their are some that feel these people need it and it is owed to them

Not taking either side at the moment, just wondering what percentage of those on food stamps etc you think you just described. Also, if anyone has some hard data finding an official estimate of that percentage, that would be great to.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

47.4 million people (another new all-time record) collecting food stamps at a a rate of $134/month.

143.5 million people are employed.

In essence, for every three workers we have one person collecting food stamps.

That's why many of us laugh when people throw out the "lower unemployment rate" as if it is a sign that the economy is improving.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

47.4 million people (another new all-time record) collecting food stamps at a a rate of $134/month.

143.5 million people are employed.

In essence, for every three workers we have one person collecting food stamps.

That's why many of us laugh when people throw out the "lower unemployment rate" as if it is a sign that the economy is improving.

the economy absolutely is improving, those that don't think aren't seeing it realistically. And not sure what can be done about the unemployment rate. Good portion of the unemployed are lazy or think they are too good for some jobs or think they shouldn't get a job because it is beneath them

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

the economy absolutely is improving, those that don't think aren't seeing it realistically. And not sure what can be done about the unemployment rate. Good portion of the unemployed are lazy or think they are too good for some jobs or think they shouldn't get a job because it is beneath them

Just curious, what you are basing your opinion on?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'll ask my question again. What percentage make up this "good portion"?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

I'll ask my question again. What percentage make up this "good portion"?

I'm not sure that's something you can quantify.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast