Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

Starting on November 5, eBay will no longer allow the wildcard '*' search term

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I mean, here's what eBay sent me:

Your saved searches will change on November 5

Dear xxx,

You're receiving this email because we noticed that you are using a wildcard (search terms with a *) in one or more of your saved searches in My eBay.
    Starting on November 5, we will no longer support wildcard searches. We encourage you to revise your saved searches to whole words without the *.
    Why are we making this change?
    We've made many recent improvements to our search capabilities on eBay that now take into account many spelling variations. This has helped us to offer better search results to our buyers and sellers.
    However, after November 5, your wildcard searches will not return the same results you're used to seeing. This means that you may possibly miss out on the new and recently-listed items that you're used to seeing in your saved searches in My eBay and in the emails that we send to you.
    Here's how to revise your saved search terms
    Replace any * in a wildcard search term with whole words.
    EXAMPLE: Replace "Floral silk scar*" with "Floral silk scarf"
    You can also include various spellings in a single search term by adding it in parentheses, with each additional term separated by a comma.
    EXAMPLE: Replace "Floral silk scar*" with "Floral silk (scarf, scarfs, scarves)"
    You can also exclude items from the results for your saved search by adding a "-(items to be excluded)".
    EXAMPLE: Replace "Porcelain minifigur* -lot*" with " Porcelain (minifigure, minifigurines) -(lot, lots)"
    Please update your saved searches today, so you can stay on top of the things you're most interested in finding on eBay.
    Thanks for shopping on eBay!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 90+ eBay searches and all of them use the wildcard.

Good bye:
    (aut*,sig*,cut*)
    (gam*,jer*,rel*)

Hello:
    (autographs,autograph,auto,autos,sig,signature,sig ning,cut,sigs,signatures,signings,cuts)
    (game,jersey,relic,gamejersey,gameused,relic,jerse ys,relics,gamejerseys,gameused)

If anyone has any other synonyms for these words that aren't above, please let me know.
    Last edited by reoddai; 11-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Thats a clear message that you should be collecting cards, not fabrics.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why those d* b*.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Wow. I didn't know you could do that in the first place.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Petro1717's Items on eBay

+1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Luckily I only had a few searches that used the * but this change is a PITA in general, as now when I want to do ad hoc searches I'll have to do the (aa, ab, ac...) stuff as opposed to a* now. F***.

Plus, when I made the corrections and selected "replace existing search" it still shows the old syntax with the * but corrects it when the results come up. Typical eBay lack of attention to detail.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

+2

SCF Rewards
    Country

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Why is everyone so upset?

Is everyone under the age of 30 living in an abbreviated world, and I'm just an outsider? Please tell me, I can take it.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

People are upset because they like to think their searches are thorough and they have put a lot of time into creating them. eBay is taking their guess work out and applying their own formulas to account for misspellings. The problem with their change is that Seller's mess ups go far beyond what their search system is likely capable of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast