Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

I could be wrong but 10 years ago athletes were coming out after their careers were over.And also didn't Ellen comeout 10 years go and she was very popular.This is not a new thing it is just more and more now feel comfortable but from what I see and where I live 10 years ago this was as acceptable then as it is now.
    10 years ago or so....this would've been almost impossible for a male athlete to come out gay.

The progress that has occurred is amazing and gives me hope for better days in this country amidst all the nonsense.

You'll see more gay athletes come out because they finally feel that this nation is ready to embrace and tolerate them instead of shunning, ridiculing, and saying hateful things.

And that is a testament to the hard work of those that stand up for what is right.

America....welcome to 2013.

To those that are still living in 1950, please stop, join us, the future is not scary, we'll get through it together.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I agree that there have been male athletes come out after their playing careers and yes ellen did come out long ago, but in the current professional male athlete world this is unheard of. It's a section of society that has been slower to evolve. It's a pretty big deal and a sign of growing numbers of people who simply don't care. Although there are still too many people who do care.

SCF Rewards
    Country

AJ, I've actually gone and looked it up, and I can't find any male athletes that played in the "Big 4" that have come out prior to a few years ago.

This is something that is recent.

And again, it's due to the hard work of people who have tried their best to show that gay people are normal just like you and I.

Actually, that itself has been the MAIN problem the majority of human history.

Humans have equivolated gays as "Abnormal".....and YES, this is due to ignorance but also religion plays a factor.

Gays are not abnormal, unnatural, ill, or any of the nonsense that they have been made out to be.

They are perfectly normal and they just happen to like the same gender.....and who cares, why should that matter to anyone?

But when you grow up all your life with others telling you that these people are abnormal, immoral, abominations, etc., it's hard to change perceptions.

SCF Rewards
    Country

AJ, I've actually gone and looked it up, and I can't find any male athletes that played in the "Big 4" that have come out prior to a few years ago.

This is something that is recent.

And again, it's due to the hard work of people who have tried their best to show that gay people are normal just like you and I.

Actually, that itself has been the MAIN problem the majority of human history.

Humans have equivolated gays as "Abnormal".....and YES, this is due to ignorance but also religion plays a factor.

Gays are not abnormal, unnatural, ill, or any of the nonsense that they have been made out to be.

They are perfectly normal and they just happen to like the same gender.....and who cares, why should that matter to anyone?

But when you grow up all your life with others telling you that these people are abnormal, immoral, abominations, etc., it's hard to change perceptions.

I don't know about timing, but I think Amaechi and billy bean have been out for quite a few years. I'm guessing bean came out in the mid 2000's. Still not the same as an active player coming out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

It was also a guy who used to be a lineman for the Vikings who came out in the late 1990s or early 2000s. His name was Erza if I'm not mistaken.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I want to add something else...

Another problem as to why this process has taken so long (the normalcy of gays) is because of all the misconceptions and outright lies that some people are told about homosexuals.

I remember growing up (and mind you I'm only 25 years old), and I really believed that gays were different than us in just about every aspect.

I remember thinking that many homosexuals were gay because they were raped as young boys....(obviously this is a lie).

I also remember thinking that gays preyed on straight guys and that I should be careful of them....(this is an egregious lie and encourages fear and hatred towards them)

I was in fact TOLD these things....by my parents, pastor, and other authority figures.

And I'm sure they were told by others as well.

Slowly these lies have disappeared and what do you know, they're not the boogeyman.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know about timing, but I think Amaechi and billy bean have been out for quite a few years. I'm guessing bean came out in the mid 2000's. Still not the same as an active player coming out.

John Amaechi came out in 2007.....I still remember all the fuss they made about it on ESPN....although it was generally positive fuss.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esera_Tuaolo

He is the gay guy that used to play in the NFL in the 1990s and 2000s who came out after he retired.

SCF Rewards
    Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esera_Tuaolo

He is the gay guy that used to play in the NFL in the 1990s and 2000s who came out after he retired.

I had not heard of him....he came out in 2002 apparently.

Still, the majority of gay American athletes that have come out has been in the recent 5 years or so.

And let's not forget that for the first time, we actually had current NFL players advocating for gay rights, such as the Vikings punter Kluwe among a few others.

SCF Rewards
    Country

yeah... definitely progressing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast