Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Ilya Kovalchuk Just Retired from the NHL

Wow.

Stunning.

He's only 30 years old.

He has 12 years remaining on that cap-circumventing contract he signed a couple years back.

Just....wow.

-----------------

More from TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

"After many conversations with Ilya over the past year on his desire to retire from the National Hockey League, Ilya's decision became official today," said general manager Lou Lamoriello in a statement.
    "On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Ilya and his family all the best in their future endeavors."
    Kovalchuk played 11 seasons in the NHL, including the last four with New Jersey. He retires with career NHL totals of 417 goals and 399 assists for 816 points with 516 penalty minutes in 816 games.
    He added 11 goals and 16 assists in 32 career playoff games. Kovalchuk scored 89 goals and 112 assists for 201 points in 222 games, while adding eight goals and 11 assists in 23 playoff games with the Devils. He was traded to New Jersey by Atlanta on February 4, 2010. He was Atlanta's first choice, and the first overall selection in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.
    He represented Russia at three Olympic Winter Games, nine World Championships, one World Junior Championship and the 2004 World Cup.

Last edited by RGM81; 07-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

They just added this blurb:

"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," said Kovalchuk in a team statement. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

-_- x's 10000000

I'm a little ticked from a hobby standpoint. But i will still go on to collect him and my want list of him still stands because I do like him as a player and I like to finish what I start. But at the same time i am extremely disappointed. Even though i collect him and planned on never reselling his cards anyway, no one wants to know that their money spent was just devalued by %90 At the end of the day there is nothing i can do, hes a human being and if he wants to go back home with his family then thats his decision. Best of luck Kovy, i enjoyed watching you all these years.

Now i feel bad for my NJ Devils =(
    Last edited by redwingsfan11; 07-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    WANT: ROOKIE YEAR & JERSEY NUMBERED cards of Aho + Zetterberg + Kovalchuk + Datsyuk + Kopitar + Nash + Spezza + Zibanejad + F. Forsberg + Teravainen + Barkov + Huberdeau + Mantha + MORE

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

They just added this blurb:

"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," said Kovalchuk in a team statement. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

"lot of respect"... good thing he doesn't hate them lol

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

There are going to be major consequences for the Devils because of this.

The team must forfeit its first-round draft choice in next year's draft. The odds of this selection being a lottery pick just increased dramatically.

The Devils will face a $250K salary cap penalty every year until 2024-25, due to the salary cap benefit recapture mechanism that applies to all long-term back-diving contracts.

By announcing this now, instead of a week ago, the Devils lost their captain David Clarkson to free agency because they couldn't afford him.

In many ways, this contract is the ultimate poison pill for Lamoriello and the Devils.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think I can say from all us Kings fans that this is hilarious!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nhanna45's Items on eBay

I bet he comes back. Two thoughts about this for me is first, how can you give up on your team and just walk away? But also props to the man for choosing family over money (even though he will still get a good chunk of it). Pretty funny though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I bet he comes back. Two thoughts about this for me is first, how can you give up on your team and just walk away? But also props to the man for choosing family over money (even though he will still get a good chunk of it). Pretty funny though.

He also hasnt retired from hockey. Hes retired from the NHL. Whats stopping him from going back home to be with his family, but still playing for millions in the KHL. He gets both by going home
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

he did it because he'll be getting more money (tax-free) in Russia... by retiring, and filing the papers, he is no longer under contract with the Devils and would be able to sign in Russia

Also, he was due to make 11.3 Million this season, and would have to pay an effective tax rate of nearly 40% (over 4 million dollars). If he makes $8 tax free in Russia, he is making more money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast