Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Exclamation Player Card Counts -- SCF stats

I was just looking through my Tomas Hertl checklist, and I had a question about card counts. I saw this card listed:

2015-16 Upper Deck Buybacks Autos #248c Tomas Hertl 2013-14 Upper Deck Printing Plates - Young Guns

Since that was a 1/1 that was "changed" to create a new 1/1, doesn't that mean that there should now be only three 13-14 Upper Deck Printing Plates - Young Guns for Tomas Hertl? So now my overall Tomas Hertl collection number should be one less than is listed in SCF -- 726 instead of 727 (because all four plates are still listed). And that number would be reduced for each and every 1/1 that was re-released in UD Buybacks.

The other consideration would be serial numbered cards that were re-released in Buybacks. For instance, according to SCF, there were two Hertl Ice Premiers signed and released in Buybacks. So really, the print run for his Ice Premiers RC should now be 97 instead of 99.

I know this is only relevant to serious Player Collectors and Super Collectors, but there an awful lot of us on this site. It is a small point, but if SCF wants to be considered an authoritative information center for the hobby, these things need to be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, I realize this would take a great deal of work to fix. Finding all the various different numbers for each player and then changing them (manually, I assume) would take a huge investment in time. It may also be problematic for things like plates to find out which of the four plates was signed and no longer exists in an unsigned state.
    I realize that all I am doing is raising a problem that I have no solution for. But ya know, that's just the kind of guy I am....

At the least, it should start an argument about whether a Buybacks card can be considered as two cards at once or not?

@Iheartjacquie

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

Hmmm I think we can agree that all cards that released in buybacks that did not originally have a serial number are now two unique cards. IMO you make a very valid point in particular with the 1/1's that if an original 1/1 is altered there still is only on that exists. I can tell you it would take me quite a while to go through the entire release of 1300 plus cards and making the adjustments on print runs. For me personally this is something I would do on a per request base, assuming it is decided that the cards do need changed. @ShayneShark and @scottkoz20 would be able to give some good thoughts on this im sure
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

this is a rabbit hole I really don't want to proceed down. I think it is easier to let the manufacturers provide the information on their items. If they choose to "buyback", then that can't be our job to say the #'s are lower.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

That does open up the wild bag of ducks doesn't it!!! The only one card of it's kind listed in two checklists... In a way you have both variations in one card.

Man I don't want to ponder this. I'm going off to other business!!!
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's an interesting conversation..... just to paly devil's advocate for a moment:

Is there any guarantee that the buybacks are actually cards UD purchased on the secondary market, and not cards they took from the archives ??

If they make an Ice Rookie /99, but only insert 92 copies into packs, they've got 7 left over.... and could turn a couple of them into 1/1s for a buyback product, and still have "replacement" stock left over.

They insert 4 press plates into a set.... but there's a great chance there was actually more than 1 set made to produce those cards. Could they have used a second black printing plate to make another 1/1 card for the buyback product?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I would think that a lot of what UD has left over after pack out (replacement stock, trade ins, etc) could easily be augmented with a few keen eBay sales. I really wonder why it would be that UD would go to the trouble of having a buyback plate when there would be POUNDS of Hertl base singles from almost every set sitting around.