Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Capitals Roman Hamrlik Breaks Ranks, Calls out Donald Fehr

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3368--nhl.html

If you're wondering if he's frustrated … well, how many other players have taken a run at the head of the National Hockey League Players Association lately?
    Roman Jedlicka, a play-by-play voice for TV Nova, offered a translation of this interview with Hamrlik in which he addressed Donald Fehr:
    "I am disgusted. We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost 1/4 season, it is $425 million. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr?
    "There should be voting between players. Four questions - YES or NO - then count it. If half of players say let's play, then they should sign new CBA. If there is no season he should leave and we will find someone new. Time is our enemy."
    Well, time is a 38-year-old defenseman's enemy, but there you go …
    Hamrlik said that the players should have learned a "lesson from 2004", when they didn't take an early offer from the owners and "came to an even worse deal." He also mentioned the NHLPA began negotiations later than he'd have liked under Fehr.

Response and condemnation of Hamrlik has been swift.

Former Habs teammate Josh Gorges, quoted in a pair of tweets by Louis Jean of TVA Sports:
    "I think it's a joke that a guy that hasn't made any efforts to be informed, hasn't been on conf calls..." "...hasn't been at any meeting makes a statement like that. It's so far from reality. We're 150% behind Don."

Erik Cole has apparently also made some comments to Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette, which should be going live on their website in the next hour.

**UPDATE** Here's the Stubbs interview with Cole: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...nhls-rejection

Suffice to say, it's mighty scathing.
    Last edited by RGM81; 11-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Probably a little out of line, but I can't say I blame him. His last year or two he's been pretty fringe and at 38, he can not afford to lose a season, which is where we are headed.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Hamrlik loses a big payday prior to retirement. I'd be upset as well. He should however be yelling a Bettman, Not Fehr. You don't lose form by stepping out of the marching line to yell at your own team.

Had he directed comments at Bettman, then the other players would not be upset with him.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Lots of stuff floating around out there. Reportedly he's been saying stuff like this to other players & agents for some time now, to no avail. Still, this is the type of thing best left said only behind closed doors or within the players' circle of trust, IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gerberlili's Items on eBay

Good for him. Let him voice how he feels. I'm sure there are other players who feel the same way who are being hushed because of the backlash from the bigger name players. This strike is a joke. Billionaires fighting with millionaires over money which the truly hard working man/woman will NEVER see in a lifetime. Suck it up. Sign a deal and play for the love of the game again. The almighty dollar has ruined the sport.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good for him. Let him voice how he feels. I'm sure there are other players who feel the same way who are being hushed because of the backlash from the bigger name players. This strike is a joke. Billionaires fighting with millionaires over money which the truly hard working man/woman will NEVER see in a lifetime. Suck it up. Sign a deal and play for the love of the game again. The almighty dollar has ruined the sport.

Yep,at least he has the balls to come out and say something unlike the other so called leaders in the NHL!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See flopscards's Items on eBay

I love Cole's response:

“For him to come out and say this, it’s the most selfish thing I’ve heard during the lockout. Without a doubt. It’s just disappointing. You’d think the veteran guys are the guys who’d take more pride in what other veteran guys sacrificed in the last lockout, how we all benefited from that as a group. Some guys never played again. That’s … I don’t know, for me, and I’m not over 35 or anything, but being an older player, (expletive), I feel grateful to the guys who gave me the opportunity to earn what I’ve earned in this game. Out of that I feel a responsibility, not entitlement. Maybe that’s just the difference between Hamrlik and me.”

Most of the veterans from the last lockout said to take the deal because it won't get any better. GUARANTEED if you were in Hamrlik's shoes you'd say the same thing. He's already lost 1 year to hockey and doesn't want to lose another. Also he pretty much stated the obvious in that the players will lose more by locking themselves out than they would've from taking a deal in September...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Cole should shut his over paid pie hole, having inked an 18 mil contract with 5 MILLION bonus IN pocket sitting in some investment fund growing exponentially by the day while he lounges around getting way more than he deserves if he was actually playing, never mind doing nothing...I can't afford to see an NHL game live but if I could I would not pay 5$ to see that guy play... I am betting no more than 18 goals a year for the rest of his career if that...72 goals/18 million...Selanne did that plus change in one season and we will most likely never get to see his greatness again...Grrrr....Eric who???? give me a break...as for "breaking ranks" is that not a war term...so these 2 sides are at War, that will work, Not!...maybe it is time to break ranks and end this senseless war!!!
    As for Hamer, pretty sure after a 20 year career money is not the issue for him either....could it actually be he simply wants to extend the childhood "dream" of playing in the greatest league on earth for as long as possible, because once it is over, it is Over FOREVER!!! just my 2 cts...
    Last edited by mooneyes; 11-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Agreed.

Cole has got a deal whereby he is overpaid by 2 mill per season with a bonus he does not deserve. He should shut his gob.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hahaha, now it depends on the contract a player has signed and that determines if he is right or not.

Since Cole makes more than Hammer he is automatically wrong, not worth the money, and owes every fan a hand written apology.

No one cares that Hammer has potted well over $50 million in his (while never living up to his 1st overall selection potential) career and at 38-39 only cares about the last $2.5 he can make before he retires?

Cole is a selfish ™™™ for sure

I also don't agree with "Cole is overpaid" either. Take a look at the players who scored fewer than Coles 35 goals and points and tell me he isn't in the low end of the scale. Ovechkin only had 3 goals and 4 points more for his $10M+, and Cole makes $4.5M (Average salary on term)
    Last edited by Habitforming; 11-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast