Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Why house league hockey is an attractive option

With minor hockey numbers in Canada declining, there is a less serious route you can take that provides plenty of fun.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20121006

SCF Rewards
    Country

If the adult House leagues are anything like the ones around here, then they love to fight. It seems like every game has a fight or two.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

If house leagues are anything like here, the kids are just about 1 step behind the "travel" players. I remember growing up and playing with/against kids who are 20000x better and smarter players.
    I collect Matt Dzieduszycki, Derek King, Pierre Turgeon (Isles only), Zigmund Palffy (Isles only) plus specific current Isles (mainly Wahlstrom, Dobson, Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock)

All photos/lists can be found here:
    Hidden Content

Please, no more offers for tradebait. I have enough of it as it is.

SCF Rewards
    Country

My son has been offered spots on rep teams in the past few years but he chooses house league every year to play with his friends and stay close to them.

Rep/AAA teams around here have become a joke. If a kid can afford to play and make all the travel they will make the team. Its not how it used to be when I was a kid.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Rep here is very competitive, house hockey players seem to have more fun. House is great for kids who have other interests, like skiing/snowboarding and can't make the commitment to a rep team.

Also, little side fact, Sakic played house until Midget.

BANNED

Country

I played AAA for a couple years when I was around middle school, when I went to high school I couldn't afford to pay 4-6K to play a sport on top of trying to juggle a job plus have somewhat of a life. My rinks were about an hour away at closest. I played AA Club and played for free since the organization gave goalies free or half off the cost to play. Our team was great and we made it to Nationals and I had a blast. Only one practice a week until playoffs it was awesome. I had a life, and could play lacrosse. Over 3/4 of the team is playing somewhere in college. Its all who can afford the high cost of exposure.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

I played house league hockey up until I was 14. It was always a great time and competitive. We had a tourney every February where we would play the two other house leagues in the area. It was like our world juniors.

Finally when I turned 15, my parents saw how dedicated I was to hockey and that I could balance school as well. I spent the rest of my minor hockey days playing mid level rep and went on to play in college as well.
    Collecting Jim Carey cards!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See baseballislife1984's Items on eBay

When I played house if you fought you were suspended the rest of the season. In the last game of the season you could usually get away with a fight, however they sometimes suspended kids for the entire season after if the fight was severe.

If the adult House leagues are anything like the ones around here, then they love to fight. It seems like every game has a fight or two.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

What is house league?

Never had such a thing in Sask growing up. After Juvenille, you went and played in the Highway Hockey League which makes the ECHL seem like Tom Thumb in terms of both on and off-ice nonsense.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Around here it can be anywhere between 2-5 games for a fight, also I think after two or three fights your done for the year. They frown upon fighting but there are alot of people who played in JR.A's and College, ECT who never went anywhere and they feel the need to prove something now that they are in the mid 20's. That is why I left playing in adult leagues and just found pick up games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast