Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I have always thought my purpose in life was to procreate, and my purpose in society was to make sure I raised my offspring to be productive members of society. I don't believe there is any greater purpose in life than being a parent.

But, and I'm just thinkin out loud here because I can't really disagree with that, if your only purpose is to raise your kids, then their only purpose is to raise thei's and so on and so forth. When you look at that, the whole purpose being to bring about the next generation of social creatures, what is the point of that continuation?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

habs, nothing wrong with that.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

But, and I'm just thinkin out loud here because I can't really disagree with that, if your only purpose is to raise your kids, then their only purpose is to raise thei's and so on and so forth. When you look at that, the whole purpose being to bring about the next generation of social creatures, what is the point of that continuation?

Just plain old survival of the species wick. Nothing more or less than any other living organism on the planet.

SCF Rewards
    Country

so family, friends, and community are worthless? your one life on earth means nothing?

Not to me shrew.

Life has plenty of worth, even if there isn't a specific goal/meaning.

your afterlife would not consist of you on a summer picnic with your wife and kids, a cool breeze from the ocean at sunset, the sound of children playing, waking up with your lover, or hanging out with your friends. you won't be a father, a mother, a brother, a friend. you will never be cold, wet, hungry, tired, sad, glad, a winner, a loser.

I'm going to skip the most obvious question of how do you know that there is an afterlife and go to the more important question....

How do you know (if there is in fact an afterlife) what it consists of?

I will never be cold, wet, tired, sad, glad, etc?

What does this even mean?

Are we going to be turned into emotionless humans?

What is the point of this afterlife if that's the case?

this shows your lack of study of religion, but yet you criticize it constantly

How so?

I accept that humans are part of the animal kingdom....the difference between a human and an ant (for example) is simply DNA.

We are both born, we live, and we die.

We KNOW that this is certain.

Past that we don't know if there is an Ant heaven and hell.....there could be, you don't know, nor can you disprove it!

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's interesting. I think a lot of people look at "this" life as a tryout for the "next" life.
    With that thinking, is training camp worthless for athletes? (not the greatest analogy, I know)

Let's say that everyone on earth were training to go to the NBA.

However, we have never seen this "NBA", we don't really know if it even exists.

Regardless, some people have chosen to train because they have a strong conviction that the NBA is real and they want to be accepted into it.

Others are not convinced and they feel that there are better things to do than train.

This is the best way I can answer your analogy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex, I can't prove in an afterlife, nor am I an expert at it, no one can be. with that being said, a spirit would not have the same trappings as a human body. I was pointing out how this life is great with all the things we can experience.

there are many religions that see all things as holy, even an ant. Hinduism believes all things are Braham, but we have an issue seeing it because of the earthly manifestation it takes(maya) so ants, cows, trees, or anything is just as holy and as important as a human. they believe that because we are fooled by the veil of maya we will remain in the cycle of birth, death, and rebirth (samsara) they seek to free themselves from this cycle (moshka) to reunite with Braham.

this is why I was pointing out you lack in your knowledge of religion, because yes an ant is important to some and their life meaning equals that of all other things.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

The problem with Humans is that we either do not believe in God or if we do do not see as God does. It does not have to be that way. Just think if we can see things through the eyes of Christ, how unselfish we would be in the human flesh. This is what Christ is trying to explain. though he is not with us he ways can live through us. If I could only be more like Christ we all should say every day. The world would be a better place.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Let's say that everyone on earth were training to go to the NBA.

However, we have never seen this "NBA", we don't really know if it even exists.

Regardless, some people have chosen to train because they have a strong conviction that the NBA is real and they want to be accepted into it.

Others are not convinced and they feel that there are better things to do than train.

This is the best way I can answer your analogy.

Okay, but it didn't answer my question. You just told me how basketball would work if it weren't basketball, but Christianity.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

The problem with Humans is that we either do not believe in God or if we do do not see as God does. It does not have to be that way. Just think if we can see things through the eyes of Christ, how unselfish we would be in the human flesh. This is what Christ is trying to explain. though he is not with us he ways can live through us. If I could only be more like Christ we all should say every day. The world would be a better place.

I'm sorry but this is where the problem lies. What makes you think I have a problem because I do not believe in a God? I do not have to aspire to be like Christ everyday. I choose to aspire to be like my parents. Or I could choose to be more like Ghandi for example. The world does not NEED religion to be a better place.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm sorry but this is where the problem lies. What makes you think I have a problem because I do not believe in a God? I do not have to aspire to be like Christ everyday. I choose to aspire to be like my parents. Or I could choose to be more like Ghandi for example. The world does not NEED religion to be a better place.

That's not what he was saying. He says we either don't believe or, if we do, can't see anything the way God does. Either way, we still think we have all the answers, even though we can't possibly.
    That's all. He didn't say you have a problem, he said everyone has a problem. You may not see it as a problem, many do. That's a different debate.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast