Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

This Random Show and Tell Brought to You By...Boredom

Today is my last of three days off before heading back to work, and honestly, without work I have no idea what to do with myself.

So here you go, I picked up this 1979 Panini team set a few weeks back. Why? Well, I am a second generation Hungarian and I also collect Levente Szuper cards and he was the first ever Hungarian to be on an NHL team back in 2002-03. The way I see it is you should never forget the country from which your heritage originated. Be Canadian, but don't forget your roots.

Sure this is nothing big money, nothing super "epic OMG mojo", but something I really wanted in my collection the moment it popped up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those are some cool pickups, Bruce. I like how you like to pay tribute to your heritage by purchasing such items and adding them to your PC. I remember the Hungarian fans at the 2009 IIHF WCs. Wow! Only Latvians can whip up an atmosphere like that. It was the first time since 1939 that they had played at the highest level of World Championships and the Hungarian fans made sure to make it an unforgettable event. I remember watching the Denmark vs. Hungary game in the relegation round and was like: "They're behind! They're already relegated! Why are they still singing?" I was still a kid back then and I guess that back then I was just surprised more than anything over the fantastic atmosphere, and maybe even a bit jealous because the Hungarians were being noted in the arena while the Danes were quieter.

I sincerely hope that Hungary will soon play at the top level IIHF World Championships again... even if it's just for a year.

-Ethan

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Those are pretty neat Bruce, are they cards or stickers??

Lemme see, where'd I put my Israeli national team set...........wait, they don't make cards from teams in the M pool :(

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Lemme see, where'd I put my Israeli national team set...........wait, they don't make cards from teams in the M pool :(

They are tiny cards. They seem like the stickers, but do not peel off.

I do see Hungary climbing back up into the A-pool. They do have some up and coming talent that is already in North America including Daniel Koger and Zoltan Hetenyi. Levente Szuper is retired now, so Hetenyi could easily be Hungary's #1 goalie.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Aren't you of Polish descent, Ed? There's lots of cards out there of guys like Mariusz Czerkawski, Wojtek Wolski and Krzysztof Oliwa, haha. I haven't seen any Polish issued cards yet, though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do see Hungary climbing back up into the A-pool. They do have some up and coming talent that is already in North America including Daniel Koger and Zoltan Hetenyi. Levente Szuper is retired now, so Hetenyi could easily be Hungary's #1 goalie.

I agree. I've been looking forward to the 2013 IIHF WC Division I Group A since it's in Budapest. I watched a trailer for it last year and I got pretty stoked! The Hungarian hockey atmosphere is truly something. I think Italy and Kazahkstan are tough teams to beat for Hungary, but it's certainly not impossible. I'm hoping to watch a few of those games online as they're not broadcast here in Denmark (but we do get many NHL, AL-Bank Ligaen, IIHF World Championship and Winter Olympic games).

I'll be cheering for you guys at the upcoming IIHF Division I Group A tournament!