Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

Unfortunately, for me I'm mostly online. I like going in and buying but my city's shop is just terribly priced. I like to bust boxes but since there's hardly ever any ROI I have to get a good price.

There's someone on eBay who I can buy Ultimate boxes off of for $85 flat. My shop sells it for $110 plus tax which comes out to about $124. Contenders online is between 50-60, there it's $120 + tax ($135ish). The Cup online is between 450 and 500, there it's $600 plus tax which is almost $680.

I'm impatient when it comes to waiting for products but when it comes to those price differences, there's no way to justify almost double the prices. I also don't think the owner is completely honest. The last time I went in, I noticed they had more of this year's Cup where they had previously been sold out. It was now selling for the $600 mentioned above instead of the $500 it used to be. And the owner said that it was a good price because he had seen tins of it going for over $1000 online. Like, don't insult me. With the prices I get online, I doubt I'll ever go there again except for penny sleeves and top loaders.
    Last edited by pinchmebnl; 12-30-2012 at 11:44 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dsslbrooks's Items on eBay

I've purchased from DA, DScardworld, and Pittsburgh sports something..

Do you guys have any other good places?

I also live right near downtown Detroit.

Any good places in windsor for cards? or Sarnia?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I suppose I would fall into the online buyer category. My opinion of the LCS was ruined by the last (and only) LCS in my area. First downer was the owner was a notorious pack searcher. He would pull all the packs with hits in them and sell the rest. Once they started using decoy cards, he had a harder time identifying the hits, so he jacked up the pack prices to make up for it.

Second, They barely cared about hockey at all. The only hockey they knew was Gretzky, Howe and the Flyers.

Finally, the internet provides competition and lowers prices. Being the only LCS within 50 miles, this guy could charge whatever he wanted.

I say internet - all the way!
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I may be the lucky one with about 3 different LCS' within a 10 minute walking distance. Are the prices all the same as each other or cheaper than online? Not at all. But each visit there is always something different to talk about with the owner! And of course there is always the chance of meeting new people!

Of course I get all my supplies and wax from tr LCS by what I really cherish is the countless conversations I've had. It turns a 10 minute supply grab into an hour long talk of whatever is on our minds!

I do respect the decision of others to buy online due to the distance of the closes LCS or for whatever reason. To each of their own! The main point is that we enjoy the hobby for what it is!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jlai624's Items on eBay

I suppose I would fall into the online buyer category. My opinion of the LCS was ruined by the last (and only) LCS in my area. First downer was the owner was a notorious pack searcher. He would pull all the packs with hits in them and sell the rest. Once they started using decoy cards, he had a harder time identifying the hits, so he jacked up the pack prices to make up for it.

Second, They barely cared about hockey at all. The only hockey they knew was Gretzky, Howe and the Flyers.

Finally, the internet provides competition and lowers prices. Being the only LCS within 50 miles, this guy could charge whatever he wanted.

I say internet - all the way!

My LCS owner mentioned another shop in the area doing that in the past. They were doing well for a bit and then eventually folded. Karma will hit them :)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dave71120's Items on eBay

I like to support the LCS's when I can. My area doesn't have many anymore, and I found one recently that seems more hockey-friendly but is open only 1-2 days per week right now. There is a monthly show locally that has some tables with packs/boxes that are pretty competitively priced vs online. I picked up a hobby box of 12-13 UD1 for $58, a box of Score hobby for $30, and paid $10/pack for Certified. The Score box was the same price as my LCS, where I picked up another box as a Christmas present for my boys. But my card funds are pretty limited right now so I can't justify spending $65 for a box of O-Pee-Chee when I can get it for less than $50 online, gotta get the most bang for my buck, for now at least.

BANNED

Country

I used to support my LCS but recently put 2 and 2 together. I was recently on a Football splurge and went in 4 Consecutive days.

Day 1 Spent $400 on Wax of Chrome
    Day 2 Spent $225 on Wax and some GU/Autos of Chrome
    Day 3 Spent $350 on Wax of Chrome and Strata
    Day 4 Spent $400 on Wax of Chrome and Black Diamond Hockey.

Day 5 I come in ready to go and he tells me Chrome went up $15 a Box (Now they are retail Mind you)

I see his Distributer outside while leaving on day 5 and jokingly said "Wow you raised your prices fast I must have cleaned you out" and he responds with " Your the chrome guy? I gave (Owners Name here) a Better deal because he loaded up on chrome today". So like any smart business owner I guess my LCS guy saw I would pay. Cant Blame him but after spending like that (I do that every 2 months) I figured he wouldnt try and gouge me. Guess Ill go on Blowout or DNA and get them cheaper from now on.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

I used to support my LCS but recently put 2 and 2 together. I was recently on a Football splurge and went in 4 Consecutive days.

Day 1 Spent $400 on Wax of Chrome
    Day 2 Spent $225 on Wax and some GU/Autos of Chrome
    Day 3 Spent $350 on Wax of Chrome and Strata
    Day 4 Spent $400 on Wax of Chrome and Black Diamond Hockey.

Day 5 I come in ready to go and he tells me Chrome went up $15 a Box (Now they are retail Mind you)

I see his Distributer outside while leaving on day 5 and jokingly said "Wow you raised your prices fast I must have cleaned you out" and he responds with " Your the chrome guy? I gave (Owners Name here) a Better deal because he loaded up on chrome today". So like any smart business owner I guess my LCS guy saw I would pay. Cant Blame him but after spending like that (I do that every 2 months) I figured he wouldnt try and gouge me. Guess Ill go on Blowout or DNA and get them cheaper from now on.

man, that sux if it is true. Why would a small business owner do that in this day and age of the interwebs ruling everything

BANNED

Country

I definatly understand his thought of hey I need to put food on the table. As owning a card shop isnt exactly the money maker it used to be. Knowing that I spent that much on wax every 2 months is what baffles me.

1. Why I do it knowing that I can get so much more for my money buying singles. I love opening packs.

2. He just lost that $1k Plus a month because he got $15 greedy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

I definatly understand his thought of hey I need to put food on the table. As owning a card shop isnt exactly the money maker it used to be. Knowing that I spent that much on wax every 2 months is what baffles me.

yeah, I also agree that you have to put food on the table, but that is not the way to do it...esp to a sure bet customer.

1. Why I do it knowing that I can get so much more for my money buying singles. I love opening packs.

2. He just lost that $1k Plus a month because he got $15 greedy.

I am definitely in the camp of not minding to spend some extra money to:
    1. support my LCS and
    2. get to open packs at a time and see what I get. I will then fill in a set with singles, but I like the mystery of seeing what I will get first...the box thing is a bit more expensive, but also a bit more "magical"

but I definitely would not support an LCS if I knew they were not playing fair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12