Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Have you ever owned a dog from puppyhood to old age? That dog knows no God. He lives each moment for what it is? Humans could only hope to be so lucky. Unfortunately, our intellect alerts us to the fact that these moments are fleeting and many of us need a God to counter that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

habs, though I agree with your post, I would like to add that at the root of most religions it is about living in the now

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

habs, though I agree with your post, I would like to add that at the root of most religions it is about living in the now

I would disagree and say, with many religions, it's about living for the future. Do good and you go to heaven, get 70 virgins, etc, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Country

wickabee, I would say that is for people who are seeking a reward from religion, or someone who fears death, or perhaps someone with different views than mine.

Hinduism, Jainism, Taoism, and in my view, even Christianity are about who we are now and what we do now, the heaven/hell thing is the end results.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Have you ever owned a dog from puppyhood to old age? That dog knows no God. He lives each moment for what it is? Humans could only hope to be so lucky. Unfortunately, our intellect alerts us to the fact that these moments are fleeting and many of us need a God to counter that.

Ya listen to this guy. Next he will tell us somehow through evolution or alien kidnappings that we had a hidden code placed our brains that require us to have a god complex in order to advance our intellects.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

wickabee, I would say that is for people who are seeking a reward from religion, or someone who fears death, or perhaps someone with different views than mine.

Hinduism, Jainism, Taoism, and in my view, even Christianity are about who we are now and what we do now, the heaven/hell thing is the end results.

But you have to admit, that is how the majority approach it. Be good now for reward later, not be good now to be good. Sure, the message of the religion may be that, but you and I both know that's not what it's about for most. It's about being righteous so you don't burn in hell.

SCF Rewards
    Country

wickabee, I can agree with that

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

There is a difference between, religion and a relationship. Sgt York received religion and then killed a battalion by himself, so that is what is said. A relation with God first starts with acknowledging that God does exist.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See duwal's Items on eBay

but isn't Christianity more about doing good in the now purely in order to be rewarded by passing through heaven?

SCF Rewards
    Country

but isn't Christianity more about doing good in the now purely in order to be rewarded by passing through heaven?

depends on the individual. for me it is about following the teaches of Jesus because you believe He was the messiah, the tricky part in doing it in daily life and trying to view His ideas for what they were and not want you want them to mean or not to mean.
    I agree many are enticed with the idea of heaven and immortality, but if you are concentrating on the goal you will miss out on everything along the way, perhaps for some it is the journey rather than the destination.
    but each to their own, I am not the decider of what is the right way.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast