Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    See Riley_NBHC's Items on eBay

What is Your Favorite Card And Why?

This thread is pretty simple, you know I love making them. You just post a picture/scan of your favorite card and tell a bit of a story or reason why it is your favorite card. This story/reason can be 1 sentence or 10 paragraphs, whatever you find fitting. If you don't have a picture/scan, just describe it.

I will get the ball rolling:

Kessel-1.jpg

I received this card from my brother on the past coming Christmas morning. My brother and I have a classic tradition we have fun with every year. We spend well over a $100 on each other basically just on hockey cards. Then, we plan how we are going to give each other each card. Usually the best card is given last as a grand finale such as the card featured above. My brother and I wake up every year on Christmas morning at 5:00 am and exchange gifts. We have a very good time doing it and it is probably my favorite 30 minutes of my life every year. I hope this tradition never ends, I don't think I will ever grow too old for it.
    This makes this card my favorite.

Share your stories!
    Last edited by HockeyCardMan; 03-28-2013 at 01:20 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (12)
    Country
    See nucksforcup's Items on eBay

Cant wait to see all the great cards this thread will produce!!

Heres mine...

Its my favorite card because it's A MTO of 3 players that not many, if anyone else would make. Sure its not the 3 most valuable players, or the same 3 guys everyone would choose, but its my 3 favorite canucks goalies on 1 card. Most unique 1/1 i think i own

YouTube Video Editor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See GHCHambone's Items on eBay

Wanted this card ever since I saw it in the previews:

And I hear this every time I see it!

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    See Riley_NBHC's Items on eBay

Cant wait to see all the great cards this thread will produce!!

Heres mine...

Its my favorite card because it's A MTO of 3 players that not many, if anyone else would make. Sure its not the 3 most valuable players, or the same 3 guys everyone would choose, but its my 3 favorite canucks goalies on 1 card. Most unique 1/1 i think i own

And I hear this every time I see it!

cool cards!

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

Mine will always bee this one.......

It was the summer of 1994 and I was a couple years out of high school. I spent the summer living with my brother and just having a great time with my recently found freedom. My brother and I were very close and grew up watching the Rangers. This was finally gonna be the year that the Rangers won the Cup! We went to as many playoff games as we could and ended up seeing the first Matteau overtime game and the Messier "Guarantee" game against the Devils. We also went to Garden to watch the first away game of the Stanley Cup Finals and watched the game on the Jumbotron at center ice. It was a magical year in so many ways. Seeing the Rangers win the cup the way they did made for one of the greatest summers of my life (at the time). The iconic picture of Messier holding the cup was an image I will never forget. This card above really sums up the "Captain" and for me, the greatest sports leader of all-time.

In 2008, my brother passed away unexpectedly. Needless to say it was a devastating and my life has never been quite the same. This card will always represent an amazing time in my life with my older brother by my side.....

SCF Rewards
    Country

KESLERS:
    4.jpg5.jpgq.jpg
    These are a few of my favs, specially the Jersey # jersey #'d :)
    And I have 5 of the 25 of these but unfortunately I just found out a guy who has 2 of them will never give them up, so there goes that dream of owning all 25:
    2.jpg3.jpg
    Last edited by RoyFanDale; 03-29-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Kessel-1.jpg

I received this card from my brother on the past coming Christmas morning. My brother and I have a classic tradition we have fun with every year. We spend well over a $100 on each other basically just on hockey cards. Then, we plan how we are going to give each other each card. Usually the best card is given last as a grand finale such as the card featured above. My brother and I wake up every year on Christmas morning at 5:00 am and exchange gifts. We have a very good time doing it and it is probably my favorite 30 minutes of my life every year. I hope this tradition never ends, I don't think I will ever grow too old for it.
    This makes this card my favorite.

That is a really, really cool tradition!

Heres mine...

I would have put Luongo instead of Schneider (3 Canucks Cup Finalist goalies) but I guess Schneider qualifies for that too. Either way, that is SICK and probably my favourite MTO I've seen to date.

I love it! Not enough love for Francis in the hobby.

Mine will always bee this one.......

It was the summer of 1994 and I was a couple years out of high school. I spent the summer living with my brother and just having a great time with my recently found freedom. My brother and I were very close and grew up watching the Rangers. This was finally gonna be the year that the Rangers won the Cup! We went to as many playoff games as we could and ended up seeing the first Matteau overtime game and the Messier "Guarantee" game against the Devils. We also went to Garden to watch the first away game of the Stanley Cup Finals and watched the game on the Jumbotron at center ice. It was a magical year in so many ways. Seeing the Rangers win the cup the way they did made for one of the greatest summers of my life (at the time). The iconic picture of Messier holding the cup was an image I will never forget. This card above really sums up the "Captain" and for me, the greatest sports leader of all-time.

In 2008, my brother passed away unexpectedly. Needless to say it was a devastating and my life has never been quite the same. This card will always represent an amazing time in my life with my older brother by my side.....

This is probably the first time I've been happy Vancouver lost that series. I think it speaks to what collecting really is in human nature. It's things that can remind us of the better times when things get tough. This was a sad but heartwarming story that reminds us we aren't just losers who hoard pieces of cardboard, but that each of us has a distinct reason for why we collect. Thank you for sharing this story.

KESLERS:
    4.jpg5.jpgq.jpg
    These are a few of my favs, specially the Jersey # jersey #'d :)
    And I have 5 of the 25 of these but unfortunately I just found out a guy who has 2 of them will never give them up, so there goes that dream of owning all 25:
    2.jpg3.jpg

Those are awesome! Never give up the dream!

My story:
    I was a kid during the early 90s card boom. My dad bought by the box, but I could only afford the odd pack. I watched him pull rookie cards all the time, but I couldn't pull one to save my life. Even when he let me pick a pack or two from one of his boxes I never pulled that rookie card. One day when I was 7 or 8 I had some change and found myself downtown outside the comic shop, so I bought 2 packs of 1991-92 Pro-Set. I waited until I got home to open them. I went into my room, closed the door and sat down on the floor. I opened the first pack and sifted through the cards. When I saw the little "ROOKIE" over the team logo and I went over the moon. It didn't matter that I had no idea who it was, I had FINALLY pulled a rookie card! I was so happy I almost forgot about the other pack.
    I opened it and saw the little "ROOKIE" tag again and couldn't believe it! And this time I had actually heard the name Nelson Emerson before, but that didn't matter to me much. Poor Nelson came in second, the guy I'd never heard of before was the card I was all about. I ran out to the living room to show my dad. I remember exactly what he said:
    "Oh cool. Nelson Emerson is supposed to be really good. I have no idea who the other guy is."
    So there it was. Emerson was the better of the two. Still though, I did not care. The other guy was the card I loved, the card I cherished, the card I protected.
    Fast forward to Christmas 2009. I was going through some storage and came across my box of old hockey cards from way back when. I found all my old rookie cards. Brodeur, Modano, Jagr, Fedorov, Selanne, etc, etc and of course, Mr. No-Name, still in the only toploader I owned as a kid (the card in that toploader rotated depending on my mood until that first rookie card came along). Wondering what they were worth, I bought a Beckett mag and, just for fun, a tin of 07-08 UD. When I got home I first checked what my cards were worth. Other than the Brodeur, I had nothing. The last card I checked was Mr. No-Name. $1.00. I was disappointed that all the rookie cards of great players I had were essentially worthless, though the one that didn't bother me was $1.00 Mr. No-Name. It didn't bother me because, while as a kid I recognized value in cards and did (and do) enjoy that aspect of the hobby as much as the actual collecting, this card personified the nature of collecting. When I saw Modano, Brodeur, etc my first thought was "What's it worth?" When I saw Mr. No-Name, my first thought was about the feeling I got when I saw that "ROOKIE" tag. It was about the thrill of pulling something, especially after trying for so long to pull one. It was about fond memories of cherishing Mr. No-Name over the card I thought was more valuable. It was about being a kid again, if only for a few moments. After deciding it would be displayed somehow, I took it out of the only toploader I had owned and put it in the only screw down I owned.

The card had another unexpected effect. The other RCs convinced me to buy the Beckett, but Mr. No-Name convinced me to buy a box of something. I opened that tin of 07-08 Upper Deck, having opened nothing but McDonald's packs since 1995, and hit a Phil Kessel jersey card. My mind was blown and I was hooked...now I'm here. All because of Mr. No-Name. That Pro Set rookie card is still the centerpiece of my collection. It sits among autographs and patch cards as the crown jewel of my collection. It is the centerpiece because it is why I collect. To feel like a kid all over again for a few fleeting moments at a time. Whether I'm breaking a box, opening a package or just browing someone's photobucket, I still get that feeling.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Mr. No-Name turned out to be a sure fire Hall of Famer:

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is a really, really cool tradition!

I would have put Luongo instead of Schneider (3 Canucks Cup Finalist goalies) but I guess Schneider qualifies for that too. Either way, that is SICK and probably my favourite MTO I've seen to date.

I love it! Not enough love for Francis in the hobby.

This is probably the first time I've been happy Vancouver lost that series. I think it speaks to what collecting really is in human nature. It's things that can remind us of the better times when things get tough. This was a sad but heartwarming story that reminds us we aren't just losers who hoard pieces of cardboard, but that each of us has a distinct reason for why we collect. Thank you for sharing this story.

Those are awesome! Never give up the dream!

My story:
    I was a kid during the early 90s card boom. My dad bought by the box, but I could only afford the odd pack. I watched him pull rookie cards all the time, but I couldn't pull one to save my life. Even when he let me pick a pack or two from one of his boxes I never pulled that rookie card. One day when I was 7 or 8 I had some change and found myself downtown outside the comic shop, so I bought 2 packs of 1991-92 Pro-Set. I waited until I got home to open them. I went into my room, closed the door and sat down on the floor. I opened the first pack and sifted through the cards. When I saw the little "ROOKIE" over the team logo and I went over the moon. It didn't matter that I had no idea who it was, I had FINALLY pulled a rookie card! I was so happy I almost forgot about the other pack.
    I opened it and saw the little "ROOKIE" tag again and couldn't believe it! And this time I had actually heard the name Nelson Emerson before, but that didn't matter to me much. Poor Nelson came in second, the guy I'd never heard of before was the card I was all about. I ran out to the living room to show my dad. I remember exactly what he said:
    "Oh cool. Nelson Emerson is supposed to be really good. I have no idea who the other guy is."
    So there it was. Emerson was the better of the two. Still though, I did not care. The other guy was the card I loved, the card I cherished, the card I protected.
    Fast forward to Christmas 2009. I was going through some storage and came across my box of old hockey cards from way back when. I found all my old rookie cards. Brodeur, Modano, Jagr, Fedorov, Selanne, etc, etc and of course, Mr. No-Name, still in the only toploader I owned as a kid (the card in that toploader rotated depending on my mood until that first rookie card came along). Wondering what they were worth, I bought a Beckett mag and, just for fun, a tin of 07-08 UD. When I got home I first checked what my cards were worth. Other than the Brodeur, I had nothing. The last card I checked was Mr. No-Name. $1.00. I was disappointed that all the rookie cards of great players I had were essentially worthless, though the one that didn't bother me was $1.00 Mr. No-Name. It didn't bother me because, while as a kid I recognized value in cards and did (and do) enjoy that aspect of the hobby as much as the actual collecting, this card personified the nature of collecting. When I saw Modano, Brodeur, etc my first thought was "What's it worth?" When I saw Mr. No-Name, my first thought was about the feeling I got when I saw that "ROOKIE" tag. It was about the thrill of pulling something, especially after trying for so long to pull one. It was about fond memories of cherishing Mr. No-Name over the card I thought was more valuable. It was about being a kid again, if only for a few moments. After deciding it would be displayed somehow, I took it out of the only toploader I had owned and put it in the only screw down I owned.

The card had another unexpected effect. The other RCs convinced me to buy the Beckett, but Mr. No-Name convinced me to buy a box of something. I opened that tin of 07-08 Upper Deck, having opened nothing but McDonald's packs since 1995, and hit a Phil Kessel jersey card. My mind was blown and I was hooked...now I'm here. All because of Mr. No-Name. That Pro Set rookie card is still the centerpiece of my collection. It sits among autographs and patch cards as the crown jewel of my collection. It is the centerpiece because it is why I collect. To feel like a kid all over again for a few fleeting moments at a time. Whether I'm breaking a box, opening a package or just browing someone's photobucket, I still get that feeling.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that Mr. No-Name turned out to be a sure fire Hall of Famer:

What a great story, that I can totally relate to, thank you for sharing it! Funny that my favorite card is from the same worthless set, and that I know exactly the feeling of hunting fruitlessly through pack after pack for the one card that I NEEDED above all else; and the feeling of pure happiness when I finally saw the card sitting there in my hand.

This card is my childhood:

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shlhockeyfan's Items on eBay

Hi,

Great thread. My all time favourite card is this one:

Being from the Netherlands hockey is not a very big popular sport. However somewhere in the 90's I picked up some Swedish hockey cards while on holiday over there. Ever since I have been hooked on cards even though I never saw a hockey game until a couple of years ago. Fortunately enough times are changing and the NHL is coming over to Europe once a year to play some games. Last year I went to see a demonstration game of the LA Kings in Hamburg, Germany. Besides going to matches in Europe I watch the NHL on ESPN America. My love for hockey cards has grown and I love breaking boxes. This year's SP Game used has been very good to me and I was very happy when I pulled this card. It is my best pull ever.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

This is my all-time favorite card. Tough to describe why, but I'll try. It has a brilliant shining design, features a great picture of Arturs Irbe, and utilizes a piece of Irbe memorabilia which does not just "pop-up" like others. Jerseys of Irbe are insanely tough to find as they are, but a glove making it into a card is almost unheard of. The swatch is excellent, shows tremendous wear and has part of the logo on it.

Whenever I have moments in which I lose interest in the collection due to the millions of 1/1s seemingly released in every second product by a certain company, I always look back at this card to bring back that interest. Haven't stopped it yet!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast