Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country

then why does it work for hall of famers?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Different time and different era. Most HOF didn't make nothing during their playing days. I have no issue with sending money to older players, new ones playing the game now, I don't do.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would imagine the main source of income for the older HOFers is doing autograph shows and signing TTM.

then why does it work for hall of famers?

SCF Rewards
    Country

When someone has more money then they can use, thier time becomes VERY important to them, ( it's the one thing they can't buy more of ! ) Fanmail would probably be viewed as a waste of thier precious time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I heard that last month Cargo sent a letter out asking for the $25.

The Tigers had some guys do the cards for $10/8x10's for $20 - but I'm not sure if they are doing it again: Dontrelle Willis (pre-trade), Jeremy Bonderman (currently FA), Rick Porcello (cards only), Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Cabrera.

I've always thought that was a great thing to do.

Raises easy money for good causes, fans are stoked, and it only takes a couple seconds of the players' time. Wish more teams did that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Different time and different era. Most HOF didn't make nothing during their playing days. I have no issue with sending money to older players, new ones playing the game now, I don't do.

Exactly. Most guys that played in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and even some in the 70's sometimes had other jobs too, football isn't what it is today. I think Chuck Bednarik was a concrete salesman in addition to being in the NFL. Just because a guy like Hugh McElhenny for instance is in the HOF, that doesn't mean he's loaded and just sitting on tons of cash. I too don't mind sending a reasonable fee to older guys, I think it would be a slap in the face to fans for current stars to ask for money for graphs though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12