Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

Why?
    And if there are "liberal" and "conservative" colleges, what is the issue?

like I was trying to say (i may not have been clear) I have no issue with liberal colleges having a liberal slant and no issue with conservative colleges having a conservative slant. My issue is the 80% of state run colleges who claim to be neither and yet very clearly have a liberal slant. And even more so my issue is the large number of people who say that any claim of a liberal agenda is false and incorrect.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I went to a public college in maryland as well as a private but open to the public college in dc. I didn't notice any liberal or conservative indoctrination for that matter unless you consider being able to go to school with people of different, races, religions, nationalities and view points and for the most part all getting along a liberal indoctrination.

i have been very clear in this thread as to what I think liberal indoctrination consists of and clearly I am not referring to the bolded above.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

like I was trying to say (i may not have been clear) I have no issue with liberal colleges having a liberal slant and no issue with conservative colleges having a conservative slant. My issue is the 80% of state run colleges who claim to be neither and yet very clearly have a liberal slant. And even more so my issue is the large number of people who say that any claim of a liberal agenda is false and incorrect.

I'm sure given the same time and resources a liberal could come up with comparable instance of conservatism in the same schools. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it isn't a one sided thing and neither side is "better" for the other side doing it more.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

i have been very clear in this thread as to what I think liberal indoctrination consists of and clearly I am not referring to the bolded above.

I went to college both as a kid and an adult, know plenty of people who went to college and are currently going and yes I heard the so called liberal indoctrination talk spewed by the media but have never heard from anyone that I actually talk too mention it. I guess they are too busy writing term papers, going to the library and studying for math tests than worrying about is their choosen school to liberal or conservative for their tastes.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

I went to college both as a kid and an adult, know plenty of people who went to college and are currently going and yes I heard the so called liberal indoctrination talk spewed by the media but have never heard from anyone that I actually talk too mention it. I guess they are too busy writing term papers, going to the library and studying for math tests than worrying about is their choosen school to liberal or conservative for their tastes.

or since they were already liberal they didn't notice it?

feel free to comment on the examples I provided instead of acting like I am making things up.

i do find it ironic that it only took 2 pages to do exactly what I said it would do. the majority of the replies, even when proof is given, state it either doesn't happen or it happens just as much on a conservative basis.
    Last edited by ensbergcollector; 03-05-2013 at 05:56 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

Why is it "liberal" to teach in a class called "multicultural education" that racism still exists and white people have benefited from it?

Do 'conservatives' teach that racism doesn't exist and white people didn't benefit from it?
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why is it "liberal" to teach in a class called "multicultural education" that racism still exists and white people have benefited from it?

Do 'conservatives' teach that racism doesn't exist and white people didn't benefit from it?

no, it is liberal to teach a class that teaches that if you are white you have benefited from racism. there is a difference in teaching that it still exists and that it applies to every white person and every non-white person. It is liberal to teach that all white people are basically born racist and must overcome it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

no, it is liberal to teach a class that teaches that if you are white you have benefited from racism.

I have to disagree. If you are born white in this country you have benefited from racism. It's not a liberal or conservative point of view, it is just a fact.
    Things have historically been better for white folks in this country than black folks. That history gives white people a leg up, especially in higher education.
    (they weren't alloweed to go there) In fact, I don't see how any of the stuff you are pointing to teaches a "liberal agenda."

Is that class touting higher taxes for rich people? no. Cutting the influence of corporations? no. Supporting organized labor? no. Universal health care system? no.
    That stuff is a liberal agenda. Being realistic about racism in this country isn't liberal.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have to disagree. If you are born white in this country you have benefited from racism. It's not a liberal or conservative point of view, it is just a fact.
    Things have historically been better for white folks in this country than black folks. That history gives white people a leg up, especially in higher education.
    (they weren't alloweed to go there) In fact, I don't see how any of the stuff you are pointing to teaches a "liberal agenda."

Is that class touting higher taxes for rich people? no. Cutting the influence of corporations? no. Supporting organized labor? no. Universal health care system? no.
    That stuff is a liberal agenda. Being realistic about racism in this country isn't liberal.

we aren't talking historically. care to tell me how in my entire life I have benefited from racism? Did I have a better chance at getting into college? Nope, in fact it was harder for me to get into college. Did I have a better chance at receiving a scholarship to college? Nope, in fact as a white male I only qualified for about 60% of the scholarships that I would have qualified for had I been black.
    So, I ask again, tell me one way that the history of racism in this country has benefited me in any way.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

we aren't talking historically. care to tell me how in my entire life I have benefited from racism? Did I have a better chance at getting into college? Nope, in fact it was harder for me to get into college. Did I have a better chance at receiving a scholarship to college? Nope, in fact as a white male I only qualified for about 60% of the scholarships that I would have qualified for had I been black.
    So, I ask again, tell me one way that the history of racism in this country has benefited me in any way.

You have to look back farther. If you're black, there's a good chance you live in a very poor area, probably inner city, and have no choice but to go to the worst of schools. If you're white, this could also be your reality, but chances are, it isn't.

It's not about whether someone gave you, the individual, breaks because you're white. The world was set up for you long before you were born. I get what you're saying and a part of me agrees with it, but the long term effects of racism are quite far reaching. For example, I look around and I see Native Canadians who have worked as hard as anyone, just like everyone else and live good, solid lives. At the same time though, the rate of alcoholism and drug abuse among Native Canadians is staggering. Many do live up to the negative stereotypes that exist. A short-sighted person may say those individuals simply didn't care enough about themselves but the reality is he is probably an alcoholic because his father was and his father was going all the way back to the introduction of alcohol by white man. It's a cycle that can be next to impossible to break, especially for a group of people with genetic predisposition to alcoholism. I could blame the individuals, but the fact of the matter is they started behind. The same goes for blacks in the US.

What I find interesting is how terribly Asians were treated in both countries and they never say a word about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast