Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Greek soccer player gives nazi salute on field

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

In messages posted on Twitter late Saturday (before his account disappeared from the social network), Katidis, a midfielder for AEK Athens, insisted that he was “not racist,” and claimed that he was entirely ignorant of the meaning of the salute. “I despise fascism,” he wrote. “I would not have done it if I knew what something like this meant. I know what the consequences are and I would never have done it.”

Just my .02, but the Nazi salute and what this guy did are not the same. It looks similar, but unless there is some reason to believe that this guy is a racist, has racist ties or is racially motivated, it looks to me to just be some type of celebratory salute in the heat of the moment.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Get a load of how this guy's teamate is giving him the "dude what are you thinking" look.
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 03-19-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah I thought that part was pretty funny. Considering the guys heritage, I just don't think he was giving a Nazi salute. He probably saw the salute given some time, kind of forgot where he saw it, and in the heat of the moment he did it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

How could anyone who has completed any kind of schooling not know what that salute represents? He may have made an error in judgement in the heat of the moment but he obviously recognized the significance of it after it was done. Claiming ignorance over this only proves he is ignorant enough to think anyone would believe him.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

How could anyone who has completed any kind of schooling not know what that salute represents? He may have made an error in judgement in the heat of the moment but he obviously recognized the significance of it after it was done. Claiming ignorance over this only proves he is ignorant enough to think anyone would believe him.

I can see it. He grew up in Greece. I can't say this with certainty, but I doubt they place as much emphasis on the Holocaust in education as is placed in US and Canadian history. Also, he is a jock. I can see him sleeping through history class and still getting a passing grade.

And like I said before, unless there are some ties that associate him with Nazism then it would appear to be incidental. Banning the guy for life is a major overreaction.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I can see it. He grew up in Greece. I can't say this with certainty, but I doubt they place as much emphasis on the Holocaust in education as is placed in US and Canadian history. Also, he is a jock. I can see him sleeping through history class and still getting a passing grade.

And like I said before, unless there are some ties that associate him with Nazism then it would appear to be incidental. Banning the guy for life is a major overreaction.

Yeah what he did was ignorant, careless and insensitive but banning him for life is probably a little too much.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Considering the fact that Hitler invaded Greece in WWII after Italy failed to accomplish the feat, I would be inclined to guess that it is talked about in more than one semester of school. Even the "jocks" would have had to know who and what Hitler was. That all said, without any other connections to Nazi idealogy, I don't think a lifetime ban is appropriate either.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Here's my thinking.
    If his fist was closed, would it have been a problem?
    By making a fuss about this, whether he's a fascist or not, aren't we just confirming that holding your arm out with your palm faced down is an action with actual power?
    If this is wrong, should we be allowing any salutes in sports? (Example: Jaromir Jagr)

The way I see it, if he had his hand closed there's no problem. Making a deal about this does continue to give a simple arm motion incredible power it doesn't deserve.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I believe Mickey Mouse is going to be in trouble...and Joe Flacco may face some heat for his association with Mickey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast