Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

Paul Corby ... Please read

His name is Paul Corby, he is 23 years old and because he was born with left ventricular noncompaction, which mean the left side of his heart cannot sufficiently pump blood. He was also born with Pervasive Developmental Disorder making him autistic and because of this the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania had decided to not give Paul his life saving transplant. I am not writing this so we can blame the left or right or this person or that person or to have this thread degenerate the way a thread here normally goes. I am asking that you please sign the petition so that Paul can have a chance to live. Just think if you know someone with autism they to can be denied a life saving transplant. Thank you to all who help support Paul.

http://www.change.org/petitions/help...art-transplant

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

are you stinking kidding me? because he has autism they won't give him a transplant? i am against whoever came up with that idea regardless of party or anything else. that is just flat out wrong!!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See doctom2005's Items on eBay

are you stinking kidding me? because he has autism they won't give him a transplant? i am against whoever came up with that idea regardless of party or anything else. that is just flat out wrong!!!

It is not that simple. With most transplants(except kidneys), people need to take immunosuppressants. Part of getting an organ is if the patient will take his medicine. If his behavioral disorder is too severe, he may refuse to take the medicine. Organs are hard to get. People have to be compliant to get them, since they are so rare.

They do pyschiatry evals on patients with schizophenia and bipolar all of the time before they can get a transplant. Because he has an autism spectrum disorder, he gets to be special?
    Last edited by drtom2005; 08-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I signed the petition. I would be interested in knowing exactly what the hospital committee had to say about this, although I can't imagine there is a valid excuse for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It is not that simple. With most transplants(except kidneys), people need to take immunosuppressants. Part of getting an organ is if the patient will take his medicine. If his behavioral disorder is too severe, he may refuse to take the medicine. Organs are hard to get. People have to be compliant to get them, since they are so rare.

I am pretty sure that his mother and family is going to make sure that he takes his medicine. This is something that you do not use general data. You need to go on a case by case basis. has he been taking his medicines so far? This are the questions you need to ask. The doctors know how good or bad he can be when taking medicines or treatments.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I am pretty sure that his mother and family is going to make sure that he takes his medicine. This is something that you do not use general data. You need to go on a case by case basis. has he been taking his medicines so far? This are the questions you need to ask. The doctors know how good or bad he can be when taking medicines or treatments.

Yeah, and kids/adults with autism sometimes refuse to take their medicine. I'm siding with the hospital on this one unless more data comes out.

BANNED

Country

If this guy can write a book I think he can take his medicines.....

Seriously the guy is an author of a children's book

http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Runner-P.../dp/0578104504

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If this guy can write a book I think he can take his medicines.....

Seriously the guy is an author of a children's book

http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Runner-P.../dp/0578104504

That has nothing to do with medicine compliance. It's not if he can understand how to take medicine, it is if he will take it.

BANNED

Country

They do pyschiatry evals on patients with schizophenia and bipolar all of the time before they can get a transplant. Because he has an autism spectrum disorder, he gets to be special?

An autistic girl was refused a kidney transplant because of her autism as well not sure if it was by the same hospital

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

An autistic girl was refused a kidney transplant because of her autism as well not sure if it was by the same hospital

It is not about the autism, ultimately. It is if the person will take the medicine. They are plenty of examples of people with different mental illinesses(bipolar, schizophrenia, etc) not getting transplants, because their disease was not under control.

Would you say the same thing about a non-medicine compliant schizophrenic (he may or may not have his autism under control, I do not know)? I surely would not want them getting an organ. They are too rare right now.
    Last edited by drtom2005; 08-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast