Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

I really wish the hobby hadn't turned so rookie-centric. Take away new rookies for the 2012-13 season and all of a sudden all products are condemned? Come on, how about collecting oh I don't know, established stars who have accomplished something? Or retired vets and HOF players? People want rookies for one reason: money.

I could care less about not having any new rookies this year, but it's very sad that hobby shops will suffer because nobody wants to buy anything without a top dollar rookie pull in it. People scramble for these cards then forget about them the next season when the new crop hits. I don't see the fun in that flavour-of-the-month outlook.

Rant over :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This is just a thought, but doesn't it make sense for the hobby to be rookie-driven in order for it to be sustainable?

I mean, every year there is a ton of rookie cards, but those rookies have little to no chance at all (unless they're top tier) to make a comeback later on. If it was all about HOF's and retired vets and that essentially products were similar with jerseys, patches and autographs, wouldn't we saturate the market at light speed? I think the rookies are keeping everything in balance seeing as there's a new batch every season.

How would you run the show if it was all about the old timers, legends and current superstars?

I really wish the hobby hadn't turned so rookie-centric. Take away new rookies for the 2012-13 season and all of a sudden all products are condemned? Come on, how about collecting oh I don't know, established stars who have accomplished something? Or retired vets and HOF players? People want rookies for one reason: money.

I could care less about not having any new rookies this year, but it's very sad that hobby shops will suffer because nobody wants to buy anything without a top dollar rookie pull in it. People scramble for these cards then forget about them the next season when the new crop hits. I don't see the fun in that flavour-of-the-month outlook.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fully agree, rookies isnt everything, focus more on star players who are hall of famers and worth collecting would be nice.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

This is just a thought, but doesn't it make sense for the hobby to be rookie-driven in order for it to be sustainable?

I mean, every year there is a ton of rookie cards, but those rookies have little to no chance at all (unless they're top tier) to make a comeback later on. If it was all about HOF's and retired vets and that essentially products were similar with jerseys, patches and autographs, wouldn't we saturate the market at light speed? I think the rookies are keeping everything in balance seeing as there's a new batch every season.

How would you run the show if it was all about the old timers, legends and current superstars?

I'm not saying we need to get rid of rookie cards, obviously we need fresh faces around to keep things from getting too stale. It's the mentality of many collectors (if they are in fact "collectors") that grinds my gears. When I see people say they won't buy any products that don't have big rookies in them that just tells me all that matters to them is the chance to pull a top rookie and make money. This is not a collector mentality, this is a scalper mentality.

The people who refuse to buy any product that doesn't have new rookies in it will also be the first to complain when their LCS closes down this summer. If that happens where will they buy their 2013-14 boxes when the precious rookies come back? I hope people try to support their local shops this season by buying wax even though there's no Yakupov's to make money off of. Take it from a guy who doesn't have access to any hobby shops at all, if you have a shop nearby that is struggling you best support it or you'll miss it once its gone.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I'm not saying we need to get rid of rookie cards, obviously we need fresh faces around to keep things from getting too stale. It's the mentality of many collectors (if they are in fact "collectors") that grinds my gears. When I see people say they won't buy any products that don't have big rookies in them that just tells me all that matters to them is the chance to pull a top rookie and make money. This is not a collector mentality, this is a scalper mentality.

The people who refuse to buy any product that doesn't have new rookies in it will also be the first to complain when their LCS closes down this summer. If that happens where will they buy their 2013-14 boxes when the precious rookies come back? I hope people try to support their local shops this season by buying wax even though there's no Yakupov's to make money off of. Take it from a guy who doesn't have access to any hobby shops at all, if you have a shop nearby that is struggling you best support it or you'll miss it once its gone.

That statement you made is not true. Im not a scalper but think about it. Its not worth droping $100 on a box because there is absolutely no return. Look at 12-13 certified its a rookie product with no rookies and honestly it sucks this year. People that do not have deep wallets like me are not going to buy a product that I know im probally not going to get value out of. Now 12-13 SPGU looks really good and is the only 12-13 product so far I would touch. I understand where you are comming from but some people cant afford to loose $80-$90 at time and thats why you get that statement.
    Last edited by theboxbreaker96; 01-21-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Also too much emphasis placed on cards 5, 15, 25, and 30 years after players retire. It was a privilege at one time to get a Johnny Bower or Eddie Shack Auto card, now there are thousands of them.

Boo.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Also too much emphasis placed on cards 5, 15, 25, and 30 years after players retire. It was a privilege at one time to get a Johnny Bower or Eddie Shack Auto card, now there are thousands of them.

Boo.

This is why I won't collect any Yzerman made after 05-06. The same is going to go for Lidstrom. It just becomes never ending...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That's so sadly but so true!
    Almost all wants top-name rookies for now to selling these for insane bucks to buying more ultra high-end boxes and so again and again in a endless cycle.

I almost gets offended every times by how much many are able to paying for a B-grade rookies from any of Upperdeck's series, it's a huge gambling we're experiencing now, because it's impossible to predict a players future.
    IMO many players who debuted at 00's tends to be very more inconsistent than those who debuted at 80's or 90's and fades out much more quickly.
    What if Nuge or Hall (who already have a huge injury issues at such young age) didn't lived up everyones execptions in some years later and starting fading away from here now and starting to producing at as best 40-50 points every year?
    It would be a epic waste of moneys then.

I'm really happy that ITG exists and gives some hobby-love to players who gets absolutely ZERO love from Upperdeck who still stubbornly giving such many crap players huge love and uses non game-worn (eventused) memorabilias on their card and listing them as game-worn or other shady activity at lately!

I really miss the 90's when we ineed enjoyed to collecting either bases, subsets, inserts, parallels, rookies or whatever and not 90% rookies as in nowdays.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you really miss the 90's the wait is over. ITG Decades The '90s this March.

Details will be out soon.

Hard signed autographs, loads of authentic memorabilia, many new members of the ITG family of players.

Brian Price

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dave71120's Items on eBay

You guys are awesome - This thread has given me a lot of food for thought around collecting, and given me pause as to why I'm collecting again. More specifically, it makes me pause about what I collect, and why.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast