Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

That's a REAL stretch.

Can you explain how it is a STRETCH. Is she not listed amongst the property of the neighbour? It sure sounds to me like she is being equated to the rest of his chattels. Funny how legal standing for women throughout the centuries mirrors my interpretation of this commandment and not yours. Let's hear your explanation.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

Maybe you are taking it out of context? possibly?? Maybe it's saying you shouldn't desire something that is not attainable? When one gets married they become one. The wife is the husbands and the husband is the wives.
    Also in the same Ten commandments it says to honor thy father and mother. Why honor the mother if she were simply property?
    Show me "how often" the Bible refers to women as property. Taking 1 verse out of context doesn't do anything...
    SHow me something Jesus said about this as well. There is a difference in the old and new testament as well. That's another topic though.

Really? Out of Context? I don't see it.

Old or New? I thought the commandments were the "word of God"?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jloganofan's Items on eBay

the Bible says that the man and woman become one...so if there is any property to it, both of them would be property

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pdawson21's Items on eBay

How about right here?

Exodus 20:17 lists the last of the Ten Commandments: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ™™™, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's."

Sure looks like a piece of property to me.

And how many times is irrelevant. It is after all God's words and to treat women as property ONCE is once too many times.

I do believe it is a stretch. The tenth commandment is: Thou shall not covet. The rest are examples.

Men and Women are equal in worth but have differing roles.

Also in Ephesians 5:
    21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

the Bible says that the man and woman become one...so if there is any property to it, both of them would be property

And what does Genesis 3:16 say about it?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

I do believe it is a stretch. The tenth commandment is: Thou shall not covet. The rest are examples.

Men and Women are equal in worth but have differing roles.

Also in Ephesians 5:
    21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Where is the part about the husband submitting to his wife and respecting her?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Where is the part about the husband submitting to his wife and respecting her?

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The act of submission would be giving up your own body for your wife just as Christ gave his life on the cross. The husband has to take care of his wife by providing. That being said, humans are equal (male and female) but they have differing roles.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

The act of submission would be giving up your own body for your wife just as Christ gave his life on the cross. The husband has to take care of his wife by providing. That being said, humans are equal (male and female) but they have differing roles.

So what you are saying is that it clearly states the wife's role to submit but we have to interpret the husband's submission.

How about Genesis 3:16

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

What is your interpretation of this?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Has to do with creation story, in particular because she did not ask advice of her husband about eating the fruit, but did it of herself, without talking about it as one flesh and tempted him to do the same.

Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161 ... LastLast