Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Physics Questions...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Physics Questions...

All of my CC to whoever can help me with these two

An archaeologist climb a pyramid in Egypt. The pyramid's height is 105.8 m and its width is 216.3 m. What is the magnitude of the displacement of the archaeologist in meters after she has climbed from the bottom of the pyramid to the top?

The archaeologist now climbs the Great Pyramid in Giza, Egypt. The pyramid's height is 136 m and its width is 230. m. What is the direction of the displacement of the archaeologist in degrees above horizontal after she has climbed from the bottom of the pyramid to the top?

Thanks in advance

SCF Rewards
    Country

(105.8)^2 + (216.3)^2 then you take that number and take the square root of it. You should get this 240.78 m. I don't know if it rounds to 240.8 m though it looks like it should in your equation.

The second part remember the SOH CAH TOH method. The sin and cos stuff. If I had a calculator that was doing that stuff I'd figure it out for you but you taking the answer above should get you something in degrees (will be positive) for your answer.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the response- apparently there must be a different formula for pyramids or something else since it is 3D because the Pythagorean theorem does not work (unless the online thing is wrong). I have tried those numbers and it marks it incorrect.

Andrew
    (105.8)^2 + (216.3)^2 then you take that number and take the square root of it. You should get this 240.78 m. I don't know if it rounds to 240.8 m though it looks like it should in your equation.

The second part remember the SOH CAH TOH method. The sin and cos stuff. If I had a calculator that was doing that stuff I'd figure it out for you but you taking the answer above should get you something in degrees (will be positive) for your answer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See andrew_co1's Items on eBay

for the first one, wouldnt this work? need a calc to finish but try and see:

O (theta) = tan-1 (105.8/216.3)

that gives you your angle, then do pythagorean theorm to get your Hypoteneuse and thats your magnitude of displacement

has it been that long since I did physics haha or does this sound correct? try it out see what happens
    Last edited by andrewconnors9; 11-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See andrew_co1's Items on eBay

just because its a pyramid doesnt change anything, as your not using all dimensions of the pyramid, just doesnt make sense to say in the question "the person walked up a paper thin 1-dimensional inclined plane"

SCF Rewards
    Country

Turns out we had to use the area formula for the pyramid, which is 1/2(b)(h). Thanks!