Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Auston Matthews, the Maple Leafs, and the hobby?

Hey everyone!

As you all know, the Toronto Maple Leafs will be selecting # 1 Overall at this years NHL Draft in June.

If today was draft day, we all know who'd be selected # 1 .... ZSC Lions/Team USA's very own Auston Matthews.

My point of discussion is what impact do you think this will have on the Maple Leafs and the hobby as a whole going into the 2016-2017 NHL season?

With Upper Deck S1/S2 releases, they'll be no doubt some hype surrounding Matthews, not to mention the Leafs' other potential YG's with the likes of Nylander and maybe Mitch Marner's as well.

I think this will be a very good thing for the hobby, not to mention the increase of non-rookie Connor McDavid cards next season that will have more collectors with tighter wallets actually being able to somewhat afford and grow Connor McDavid PC, I think the hobby is looking really , really good.
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

2016-17 should be a great year for collecting in my opinion. Since the rookie cut-off date from this season there have already been something like 70+ players who have made their debut and will be eligible to have rookie cards next season, let alone guys making their rookie debuts next season! The Leafs alone have 8 or 10 of those guys (not all will get rookies), and then add in Matthews, Zaitsev, and possibly Marner. Hopefully this will bring more new collectors to the hobby and bring back former collectors back into the hobby. Then there are all of the rookies with the other 29 teams. Overall 2016-17 should offer another strong crop of rookies for the hobby.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Total agree @flemingc04 ! I can't wait to see all the darkhorse or under the radar rookies that will be popping up with the other 29 teams in the league, ones that may have strong rookie campaigns that drive more collectors back in (Larkin is someone that comes to mind, IMO).

I'm excited for this rookie crop. Should be another great year for the hobby! Back-To-Back excitement!

And with the new/re-released products that will be hitting the market this year and hopefully again next year (Ex. Champs / UD Portfolio) we could be looking at another well-rounded mix of brands that offer up some more veteran content as well. Still many rookie-loaded products though, and I still hope for more veteran content included, but these changes are good IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

The Toronto Maple Leafs will be very, very expensive in 16-17 Group Breaks. Fans of the other 29 teams, thank Maple Leafs fans.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's going to be a great year to be a Leafs fan & collector. The team's tank strategy paid off and now they get the #1 overall pick...the Stamkos rumours are still out there too. It's their Centennial year and Upper Deck has said that there will be some cards sprinkled throughout their release calendar next year honouring 100 years of the Leafs.

It's a good time indeed.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spares_91's Items on eBay

I can't wait! Been waiting for Nylander Young Guns forever!...overall though the leafs rebuilding is gonna help the hobby for quite a few years, seeing as how they're stocked full of picks and prospects already!

SCF Rewards
    Country

The number one overall draft pick going to a huge hockey market can never be a bad thing for interest. Even if Matthews doesn't get a point a night right away, he will still help. If he does, wow and look out.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

The number one overall draft pick going to a huge hockey market can never be a bad thing for interest. Even if Matthews doesn't get a point a night right away, he will still help. If he does, wow and look out.

If he scores in his debut, Toronto will go nuts.

I couldn't even fathom what that will be like. The hobby next season will be awesome too.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country

I can't wait! Been waiting for Nylander Young Guns forever!...overall though the leafs rebuilding is gonna help the hobby for quite a few years, seeing as how they're stocked full of picks and prospects already!

I think it will too! Toronto + Good young Prospects is just what the hobby needed right now.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Hmm, the last relevant leaf's rookie was james reimer? he went nuts for those couple of months and the hobby was in a good place here. i believe his cup auto still sells pretty decent but i think that was the last time the leafs had a prospect that had the hobby word buzzing. with the potential of having 3 of the top rookies next year, the sky really is the limit on the impact toronto will have on the hobby next year. personally, it will get me buying hockey products regular for the first time in almost 10 years and it might be my main hobby focus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast