Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cardcollector1972's Items on eBay

Very good article Mike. Another reason I think the hobby has all but deteriorated completely is the fact that online auctions like eBay and others are like a double-edge sword. They are good for buyers in most cases who can find cards they want at way below price guide value without leaving their homes. As you said, the card companies have flooded the market with so many GU and autographed cards, that collector's can pick them up for far less than the price of packs in most cases. Why buy cards or packs at shops when you can get them delivered to your door for less? On the other hand, sellers may feel like they just took a hockey puck to the groin when they end up getting one bid and sell their awesome autographed patch card for way below book value. Taking a huge loss on a high-end product can deepen the wounds and just turns people off to collecting, especially those who can't afford to spend $100 only to get a low-tier autograph or jersey card. This is the point where you find out who the true collectors are and who are in it just for the money. Personally, I feel it would be nice that if you pay $100+ for a product, that you would get $100 in value. However, the hobby has become a lottery and there are some that win and a whole lot who lose on box breaks. If the manufacturers don't change their marketing strategies soon, everyone will lose as the hobby slowly dies out as card shops disappear.
    Last edited by stewart20rulz; 02-13-2010 at 08:35 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (44)
    Country
    Seattle Seahawks

Card shops are going the way of the Video Game Arcades extinct due to the fact that like you said you dont have to leave your home to get the best deals. Local card shops need to take a clue and price a little better. No one is going to pay $10 BV for a David Carr GU card let alone even $5 bucks.. I walk into card shops these days and just think "no wonder these places are going out of business" The ones that stay in business constantly keep track of the fluctuating market of Ebay/Online values and price around them.
    Hi I'm Grant I collect all Kraken in a Kraken uniform that I do not already have. Epack user name - xiiytras. I super collect Kam Chancellor, Marcus Trufant, and Jarran Reed.
    Link to my Hockey Traders - Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123