Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Does anyone think PSA/DNA, JSA, Beckett, Steiner, Upper Deck, etc are all a JOKE?

Does anyone here think ‘high-end’ sports authenticators like Upper Deck, Steiner, Topps, Beckett, PSA/DNA, JSA, SCG, and GAI are nothing but a joke? Does anyone feel their services are often overpriced, more than what your autographed sportscards or memorabilia may be worth?

Someone told me about his experience with one of these ‘high-end’ authenticators when getting his rare autographed Babe Ruth baseball certified. He sent them $200.00 for the total fee but the ‘high-end’ authenticator returned his valuable item and gave him unvalid reasons why they WOULD NOT grade his autographed baseball. In the end, the high-end authenticator kept his money.

So he sent it a second time (paying an additional $200.00)… and amazingly, this high-end authenticator decided to grade and certify his autographed baseball! Guess what rating it received….yep…. an EXCELLENT 100% PURE AUTHENTIC rating between 9-10 (10 being the highest)! ™™™!?

Does anyone feel the media’s bias towards favoring these ‘high-end’ authenticators is often overrated and delusional? Why is it that when you read an article that says, “FBI discovered 70%-90% of fake autographs from ‘low-end’ or ‘3rd party’ authenticators….”…. that everyone becomes overly paranoid and starts buying from these ‘high-end’ authenticators and not the ‘low-end or third party authenticators’?

We’re stupid, you know? We’re driven by fear. Someone decides to instill fear in us and use it as a marketing tool. Why is it that no one question these ‘high-end’ authenticators and their services? Anybody want to share?
    Last edited by antileed12345; 02-10-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Misspelling

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually would never send to one, however I only buy items that are authenticated. I actually have never thought to question them, but have always known that there is no way to truly authenticate an item unless you are present when they are signed. However, with signed comic books, CGC will authenticate them ONLY when they have an agent present at the autograph signing, so I have never had any doubts buying those.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually would never send to one, however I only buy items that are authenticated. I actually have never thought to question them, but have always known that there is no way to truly authenticate an item unless you are present when they are signed. However, with signed comic books, CGC will authenticate them ONLY when they have an agent present at the autograph signing, so I have never had any doubts buying those.

Well Tristar is the same thing for sports mem isn't it?

I'm at the point I have a decent stable of autos and anything I get ttm I will probably never get it authenticated by GAI, PSA/DNA, JSA, etc.

That said I only buy things that are authenticated and from a dealer I have researched. My only exception is the Bob Feller museum because even if Bob Feller forged my Brooks Robinson ball thats pretty awesome.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thumbs up

That said I only buy things that are authenticated and from a dealer I have researched.

THen you could very well possibly be buying FAKE autographs. these So called authenticators are no more then hired Hobby store/card shop dealers who think they know how to authenticat items. they look at it for 2 seconds and deam it fake or Real. and the only reason it takes so long when you send in items is because they have to be redirected to card shop dealers that have been hired to authenticate items im sorry to break it to you collectors that think the items you send to the psa/dna address and jsa address go directly to them think again. also i have dont tests with them (why i wont get any of my items authenticated by them) i sent in a in person signed card which came back fake i then sent in a known fake and guess what it came back Real so with that i will never send items in to these companies. plus if you witnessed it person why should you send it in for someone to tell you if its fake or not (which they could possible deam it fake if they so wanted too when you know its not)?? but hey there are suckers born ever second. i really think your right media as well as other outlets have scared collectors into thinking if its not psadna or jsa authenticated then its a fake which is not true) i mean really all you have to do some research online find an example of a Known Authentic autograph and match it up if it matches up with the real one or close to it then....i mean really thats what these authenticators do and im not willing to pay good hard earn money to them for something i can do for free with a little research. also dont forget the biggest thing , the celebrity that is signing they could sign 100 autographs and NOT one will be exactly the same and thats a fact they may have some same charactoristics but they wont be exactly identically and again if you can find a know authentic example of the celebrity signature you have and find some same characteristics then you most likely have a real autograph (or at least what these HIGH END authenticators would deam real) and i do agree the only Real why to know you have an authentic Autograph is to see the person sign the item yourself, and these days its sorry to say that you cant even rely on pictures as proof as they can EASILY be edited.