Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: IPA Franco Harris

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See rainman67ko's Items on eBay

IPA Franco Harris

IPA Franco Harris by Kevin O’Connor - aka rainman67ko

Living in Pittsburgh has it’s perks. You’re never far from the stadiums or arenas, down town has the theater district, and city garage parking is an easy walk across the Roberto Clemente Bridge to PNC Park, Heinz Field, and the North Shore. Mellon Arena and the new Consol Energy Center are also readily accessible from downtown or the interstates. The Strip District has its own multi cultural appeal with its markets, and there are still ethno-centric neighborhoods with festivals occurring throughout the year.

Last Fall, on a cloudy rain threatening day, my son Brandon and I ventured down to Bloomfield after his golf lessons at Schenley Park. This area is known as the city’s “Little Italy”. This particular weekend happened to be when Bloomfield’s Italian Festival was occurring. We walked around the booths set up along Liberty Ave enjoying the food and other sights and before long it started to rain. As we made our way along the festival we walked past a rather large man with an umbrella standing at a table with some flyers in his hand. I turned back only to see it was Franco Harris.

As our hands met we introduced ourselves and I did the inevitable “Big Fan of yours since I was a kid” thing. Mr. Harris was very friendly and asked questions about us, and then began to speak about his son, Dok Harris, as a Pittsburgh Mayoral candidate. I was familiar with the campaign, and while I supported it on Facebook, living in a borough bordering the city I was not eligible to vote for him. The conversation turned back to Steelers Football and Mr. Harris commented that Brandon was too young to know who he was. I let him know that my son was a collector and that together we had been building our collections of sports cards and memorabilia for a while. I added that I constantly talked with my son about Pittsburgh sports history. He immediately reached into his pocket, autographed a Steelers magnetic calendar, and handed it to Brandon. I then asked for permission to get a photo of them together, to which Mr. Harris smiled, and leaned over with his arm around Brandon for the opportunity. We thanked him and left him standing in the rain with a handshake, a waive, and a smile. Brandon flashed his alluring smile, and was polite as always, making the moment enjoyable for all of us.

I had seen pro athletes out in public a few times but never approached them or asked for an auto except at a signing event. Mr. Harris was as regular as anyone and treated us with the same respect and interest he was shown. When Brandon gets a few years older he’ll appreciate this moment a little more. For me it was like meeting Santa Claus.
    Last edited by rainman67ko; 06-17-2010 at 10:37 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Carolina Hurricanes
    See ejsr212715's Items on eBay

that is awesome! do u mind posting a pic of brandon & franco? i think we all would love to see that. take care, ed

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See rainman67ko's Items on eBay

Picture Posted. I'll try to add one of the auto too.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Air Force
    Carolina Hurricanes
    See ejsr212715's Items on eBay

sweet pic. is it just me or does franco never get any older as the years go by? LOL Crazy!