Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Sometimes a autograph ruins it!

I have had some items signed by multiple players and looked back to see that it was a mistake! One of my biggest why did I do that moments came from the NFL Combines in Indianapolis. I had brought one football with me and a bunch of index cards. The first big name I had seen was Carson Palmer. I quickly had him sign the football and was thrilled to have it. I wish I had stopped there! I had four other QBs sign my football. None of the other four had much of an impact in the NFL. I knew it should have been great as a single signed Carson Palmer item. Now it is messed up with other worthless players bringing down the appeal of the football. Ken Dorsey and the other guys just do it no justice. Way too many baseballs are sitting in a box in my garage that I have had signed by multiple baseball players. They just are not display worthy even if they have signatures of future stars. It is great to see that some of these guys did do OK for themselfs, but horrible to realize that I have their signatures on baseballs with guys who did not make it out of the minors. Here is an example I have a baseball with Paul Konerko, Aaron Boone, Jon Nunnally and Sean Casey signed on it. An honest look at the players on it Konerko has been an all star, Boone was a playoff hero for the Yankees, Nunnally was a great guy who played some Big League games and Casey did OK for himself. I would have been happy with any of the four on their own and the ball is horrible with the four players. What was I thinking! They all played for the same AAA team in 1998 is all they have in common! Juan Rivera and Marcus Thames dual signed baseball? I should have definately known that as Yankees prospects that they would never both make it on the same team! The Yankees trade 90% of their position prospects! What was I thinking!
    I was interested in hearing if anyone else has had something signed by more than one player and looking back wondered why they did so.
    Hidden Content ~ best SCF feature ever!
    Go Mets, Colts, Reds and The Ohio State University
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

CC Sabathia and . . . Danny Baez on a baseball. Both were star prospects for the Indians back in 1999. I'd love to have the Baez off that ball right now.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Gaylord Perry, Denny McLain, Robin Roberts and Billy Bruton on a ROMLB.
    Who does not belong in this equation?
    I should have kept on with the pitcher sigs!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See indian1797's Items on eBay

Clay Bucholz... and about half of the PawSox team, but I dont mind, i love the PawSox
    Last edited by Indian71; 07-29-2010 at 08:57 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't have a "ruined" story but one that kind of irked me. I have a membership at the HOF and when I first signed up I got a bunch of stuff including a really nice map/guidebook. I decided to get it signed so I got it signed ttm by Doerr, MacPhail, Ford, Irvin, Feller, and Roberts. After Roberts passed away I decided to only continue with IP signings.

Last week I'm in Cooperstown and get it signed by Feller(with a HOF year), Perry, Jenkins, Killebrew, and Marichal. Reggie Jackson was running over an hr(ended up being 2+ hrs) late so I went to an Orlando Cepeda signing. Now on the 3 pages I've been getting signed there is still ample room. Mr. Cepeda cheerfully takes my tickets I paid $50 for and then signs my book right under the Perry sig. As I walk away I realize that in doing so he ran his last name right over the Perry "HOF 91" inscription.

Again it doesn't ruin it and its not horrible as you can see the sig and the inscription but there was ample room and he decided he was gonna run his name right over it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See RockiesFanCards's Items on eBay

I sent a baseball to Daniel Tosh when he was doing a comedy performace in Denver. The guy that did the opening act for the show also signed the ball (taking up an entire side panel and went above and below it) and then wrote "sorry!" on the ball. Tosh still signed it, but I don't display it because it's such an eyesore with the extra writing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Gaylord Perry, Denny McLain, Robin Roberts and Billy Bruton

Ha. Sorry, no offense. That's kind of like: Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Sulu, and Ensign Ricky were beamed down to the surface. Guess which one's not coming back?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

I would feel the same way. I would definitely want the 4 autos on seperate items.

well, you live and you learn. At least you know next time :)

Andrew
    Last edited by MasonRaymond0320; 07-29-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Hidden Content
    I collect: Adam Larsson, Mason Raymond and Matt Duchene

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See myturnatbat's Items on eBay

Who are you getting the auto's for?

Are you looking at the prospect of selling the item in the future, or the fact that you got to meet someone that you wanted to meet and they signed an item for you? If you are in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$ than stop your damn whining about choosing poorly, your item is wasted. If you are in it for the memory of meeting who you wanted to for a brief moment in time than relish it!!!!!!! I have a bat signed by Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Reggie Jackson, Enos Slaughter, Tommy John, Willie Stargell,Al Oliver, Renni Stennit, Bert Blyleven,Rollie fingers, Denny McClain, Warren Spahn, Bill Mazeroski, Robin Roberts, And Dolly kamwininski from the the all womens league. All of which I would not sell just for the stories each signature brought me! 30 seconds in front of each of them never brought $ signs to my mind ,its just a memory for me to share, of having there attention for 30 seconds and how ever much I paid to have them sign my item and my 30 seconds with them. Ted was wonderful, Enos Slaughter was funny as hell, Willie Stargell complained about the the guy ahead of me with a box of balls to sign for re-sale,Spahn made fun of my tattoos, Dolly K was just happy as hell anyone remembered her. If you are doing it for profit bro you screwed up royaly, if you you are doing it for you remember the priority. They dont have to sign.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Are you looking at the prospect of selling the item in the future, or the fact that you got to meet someone that you wanted to meet and they signed an item for you? If you are in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$ than stop your damn whining about choosing poorly, your item is wasted. If you are in it for the memory of meeting who you wanted to for a brief moment in time than relish it!!!!!!! I have a bat signed by Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Reggie Jackson, Enos Slaughter, Tommy John, Willie Stargell,Al Oliver, Renni Stennit, Bert Blyleven,Rollie fingers, Denny McClain, Warren Spahn, Bill Mazeroski, Robin Roberts, And Dolly kamwininski from the the all womens league. All of which I would not sell just for the stories each signature brought me! 30 seconds in front of each of them never brought $ signs to my mind ,its just a memory for me to share, of having there attention for 30 seconds and how ever much I paid to have them sign my item and my 30 seconds with them. Ted was wonderful, Enos Slaughter was funny as hell, Willie Stargell complained about the the guy ahead of me with a box of balls to sign for re-sale,Spahn made fun of my tattoos, Dolly K was just happy as hell anyone remembered her. If you are doing it for profit bro you screwed up royaly, if you you are doing it for you remember the priority. They dont have to sign.

There's some merit in what you say but for instance Willie Mays is notorious for signing his sig over that of other people's on multisigned items. There's no reason he needs to do that to somebody that paid $300 for his signature. Yes the memories are great and the signature is awesome but that doesn't justify him doing that. In my case Mr. Cepeda couldn't have been nicer and I think he was trying to sign under Perry but the final loop in his last name just clipped Perry's inscription. I'm not ™™™™™™ off about it but I did pay $40 for his sig and $10 to inscribe it HOF 99 its not as if he walked up to me and said "Hey, let me sign that book for you".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast