Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 116 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1666106113114115116117118119126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1543

SCF Rewards
    Country

thanks guys! this was one of the greatest graphing times I've had in awhile, given the outcome. I'm glad you all enjoy reading- I assume you meant long-winded in a good way, not a bad way!

The crowds can be killer. People rag on dealers, but generally it's the idiots that don't know ™™™ they are doing that push and shove. The dealers usually ahve the good spots up front and don't have to.

No it's enjoyable to read as I feel like I'm there with you as I read the story. You have some really great successes that I would love to get, but don't really have the time to graph like you do.
    I collect vintage in all sports and rookies. However, I do love any Red Sox, Bears, Penguins or Celtics that I need for PC! Need 1959 Topps Baseball cards for a set (ending stages). My cards come from smoke free environment, so please be upfront if your cards are not. Also if your cards are creased or bent, be honest about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

gotta make time- I'm pretty busy career wise, so I don't get out AS much anymore, but weekends or when anyone big is around, I try to make time. I don't have a family though, so there's that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

jeters sig is terrible

not even legible

SCF Rewards
    Country

thanks guys! this was one of the greatest graphing times I've had in awhile, given the outcome. I'm glad you all enjoy reading- I assume you meant long-winded in a good way, not a bad way!

The crowds can be killer. People rag on dealers, but generally it's the idiots that don't know ™™™ they are doing that push and shove. The dealers usually ahve the good spots up front and don't have to.

Truer statements have rarely been said...it's like when people say "dealers" push kids out of the way. It's usually kids (who have no idea whose autograph they're getting) shoving up against collectors/dealers who were prepared and will actually keep (or value) the signature.

Awesome Jeter haul, though, regardless.

SCF Rewards
    Country

gotta make time- I'm pretty busy career wise, so I don't get out AS much anymore, but weekends or when anyone big is around, I try to make time. I don't have a family though, so there's that.

I respect that you have to make time, but everyone is different. I like autographs as much as the next guy, but I can't dedicate hours upon hours hoping to get lucky. Some people like that thrill of waiting for hours and some don't. My time when I'm off work is very valuable and I just can't physical spend it waiting around to get lucky. It's awesome that people can, it's just not me.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yep- to each his own- I don't take offense as I hope you didn't. I like waiting around, and the results have been good, but you can only do what you can do.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So, I went kinda overboard with the graphing today. 7-8 hours. Exhausting. Worth it? You be the judge.

Before we go any further, I might as well backtrack and relay the experience I had on Wednesday night doing the giants. I was there for about 2 hours. We didn't see lincecum, Cain snubbed one of the guys 1 on 1, Posey didn't stop to sign, but did stop to make a snide remark to all of us (classy guy). Sandoval nearly bowled me over when I tried to block his path with my 8x10 and asked him to sign. Fun times.

The only one who did sign was Pence, who remains a classy guy regardless of the uniform.

So, yeah, that night sucked. I got Lince and Posey last year anyway, but I wanted Cain and Pablo, so this was an epic failure. Oh wells.

On to today. I set out with all my braves gear (and none of my phillies gear) to do the braves pregame. I got there very early. One of the graphers there happened to mention that 3 blocks away ALL the phillies alumni were staying for the weekend. I couldn't let it go without trying, so even though I just had no phillies gear, just baseballs, I set out to go.

I got there to that spot and got the lay of the land. Schilling had left for the weekend, so had Lidge apparently. Strangely, BJ Upton was staying there as well, because he could not get a room with the team because he didn't get to philly until Saturday and the team hotel was booked. I didn't see bossman though.

Shortly after I arrived at the alumni hotel Schmidt got dropped off in front in a car. He would not stop or even look up when I called out to him. Bummer. He was my mission though from here on out.

About 20 minutes later Schmidt came out again and snuck right into the passenger seat of a car with all his luggage. I figured he had checked out and was gone for the weekend. So I gave up, and headed back to the braves spot.

Turns out, Kimbrel had left while i was gone, and signed a bunch. I got him last year so I didn't sweat it so much. I had a dual photo of Justin and BJ Upton to get done, so I was a bit bummed that I would have to choose one or the other since they weren't at the same place.

Justin comes out and starts walking down the street. Turns out, he was going to meet up with his brother and they would go to the games together. I walked over to Justin and said (I was the only one there by the way) "Mr. Upton, I'm a big fan of you and your brother, could you please sign 1 autograph?"

He didn't look too happy, but he did sign. I asked if he was going to meet up with his brother and he shook his head, somewhat angrily. The doorman had told me that he was, and I do think he was, but he was annoyed.

Next as I was waiting, Evan Gattis comes out. Both him and McCann are balding white guys who look kind of similar, so I accidentally called Gattis McCann. No matter, he still signed! I didn't have any cards so I had to "waste" a ROMLB on him.

McCann (the real McCann) came out shortly after and signed.

Also, Uggla came out with apparently his 4th different girl of the season (According to the doorman who has seen him with a different woman each trip) and signed.

Kind of a fun surprise, Phils Prospect Cody Asche is living temporarily at that spot, and is a nice guy. I got him on a "junk" ball.

I had a 12x20 canvas printout of heyward, belonging to my brother, to get done. Heyward comes out, I'm the only one there. I call to him, he ignores. I call again, he turns, looks, shakes his head. Then gets in his chauffered car and leaves.

He has been good at times throughout his career, but it looks like those days might be past. Straight up jerk today.

So I left that spot and went back to the alumni spot to check things out. I was just ready to leave that spot when MIKE SCHMIDT returned to the spot from a round of golf. It was 5:00 at this point, 4 hours into my day. I knew I had to wait it out.

We waited there for 2-3 more hours, and Schmidt didn't come back out. Either he didn't go to the game tonight, or they snuck him out some other way. Carlton and Bunning wouldn't do it. A bunch of the 2nd tier alumni did it, but I didn't need any of them.

One happy surprise, Brad Lidge came back with his family, and told us he would sign on the way out. Sure enough, he came out and racked for us. I had never gotten Mr. Lidge before, so this was pretty cool. I got him on a card, and on the sweet spot of a ROMLB with an 08 WSC inscription. Sweet stuff!

I set the bar pretty high for myself these days, so it sucks not getting Schmidt. Still, I guess you always have someone that you're trying to get, and he might be it for me.
    Last edited by cyberer; 08-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Shame that so many guys were jerks. Glad to see Lidge is still a class act though. Legit one of the nicest players I've had the pleasure of meeting.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Did the dodgers on thursday night. Results were mixed.

They arrived and no one signed off the bus, surprise surprise. But they were on west coast time so we knew they would all be going out. Sure enough most of the team did. Kemp though did not, and I need him to finish a bunch of multiple items (we will get to that in a moment). I still did manage to get kemp on a baseball in spring training, so I'm not that upset about it. I need kemp to finish this SI already signed by magic johnson in spring training

As we waited, Kershaw came out and gave his usual D-bag routine. He did stop and take pictures with us though, which was pretty cool.

All the relief pitchers rolled out together, and I got Kenley Jansen and Carlos Marmol

McGwire went out and said he would sign on the way back. Being the gentleman that he is (not being sarcastic), he returned drunk and signed for all of us. Got him sweet spot ROMLB

Ethier returned from a bar shortly thereafter. He had refused us earlier, and said that nothing had changed. I asked him nicely if he could please sign to help me finish a multiple item that I was trying to get done. So he grudgingly came over and signed for me and the others. I got him on a piece that I had already gotten done by kershaw in spring training:

Now for the bad news of the evening. Puig. Puig didn't come out all night, so we thought he was a lost cause. Then around 9:15 he goes out to dinner. His translators push us out of the way and say we have a 3 game series to get him and he isn't signing now.

One of the graphers didn't take no for an answer, followed him to the restaurant he went to, followed him INTO the restaurant, and got him to finally sign at the bar just so he would leave. Seems a bit excessive. I don't believe in doing that, but I guess I have to accept maybe I won't get as many autos for being a decent guy about it. Still, people can collect however they see fit to do so.

So about an hour later, 2 guys leave to go wait outside the restaurant. They said that they would walk with him the whole way back and try to wear him down so he would sign by the time he got back. Again, I didn't feel comfortable staking the guy out.

Turns out, he left the restaurant, signed for the 2 guys waiting, then went to ANOTHER club, with 5 girls he had picked up in the restaurant. So he wasn't coming back to the hotel. This was around 10:30.

I decided with some of the others to wait him out until he returned. By that time the numbers had dwindled. Only 2-3 people left. I knew he would do it when he returned, he's not going to turn down that few people.

I waited. And waited. And waited. For 2 hours. At one point, Pauly D from Jersey Shore arrived off of a tour bus. He is a notorious jerk though and would not sign.

Finally, at 12:30, I left. I gave up. I couldn't take it anymore and admitted defeat. The bars in philly close at 2, so I figured he could be out literally all night by that point. There obviously was no curfew. I also had work at 8:30 the next morning.

It just sucks that if I had already waited so long- I was pot committed- and if waited longer I would have gotten it, but I had to call it quits. Oh well.

The McGwire ball and the Jansen photo are for sale.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

McGwire was always a great signer during ST with the Cards. I think I got him on every SI cover I ever printed up, plus pics & balls. It was like the dude would walk over to where I was standing every time - LOL! I actually started walking away & letting others in my spots toward the end of ST in 2011... And you are correct, he was always very pleasant!

Page 116 of 155 FirstFirst ... 1666106113114115116117118119126 ... LastLast