Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61
  1. #31
    I don't have a problem with anyone speaking spanish or any other language they like. Unfortunately I only speak english so if anyone wants to have a conversation with me they have to speak in my language. Whenever I need to speak to someone who appears to be of hispanic decent I speak to them in english because that's all I know. If they can't speak english (or don't want to speak to me for that matter) they will simply say that they don't speak english. Funny thing is that I have many hispanic people and even an asian lady come up to me and try to speak to me in spanish. BTW I am Black. Mabey they think that I am dominican.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxxon View Post
    Get use to it and you should learn a second language if you already do not know one. Notice I did not say Spanish just that you learn one....

    Funny story.... many times I have had white people talk to me in Spanish and I look at them and say "what?" Of course I can speak Spanish but why do they assume that I can't speak English.

    Please don't worry. Its not like Mexican people are going to push you off your land, force on to a reservation and strip you of your culture.
    I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

    It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

    Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

    It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

    Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

    I would think that most people if the are in the united states regardless of what language they speak would understand if you nod their head and say hello to them. They can take the conversation from there if they need something.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodor Madison View Post
    Perhaps thats the problem, just because I am hispanic, they only think I know spanish. I can tell you I deal with People that still think New Mexico is a part of Mexico. I am 48 born here in the US and the fact that they think I do not know English bugs me.
    Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.

    Quote Originally Posted by OnePimpTiger View Post
    When Americans go to a foreign country and make no attempt to learn the language of that country, we are called rude, ignorant Americans.

    When others come to America and do the same, we are called rude, ignorant, culturally insensitive Americans.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    "They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

    You can't tell me this isn't rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive.
    Brace yourself buddy, the Spanish Conquistadores did the same thing in Central and South America. They forced them to accept Spanish as their language and Catholicism as their religion and killed millions of natives who refused to conform.

    Spanish is no more their native language than English is the native language of the USA.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.
    D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?

    I am proud to be a natural born American citizen, proud that I live in the greatest country in the world, but perhaps Americans should grow as individuals instead of making immigrants drastically change to become American. While English might be the natural choice to be the national language of the United States of America (since it is the most oft-used language in America for business, education, etc...), would it be better (socially, economically, politically, educationally, etc...) for our nation if all immigrants learn English, or if all Americans to learn another language?
    Collecting: McGriff, Helton, Chipper and Griffey.
    Cards for Trade and Want Lists
    :
    Hidden Content


  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaccheus85 View Post
    D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?
    Probably more sad, but at the time it struck me funny considering she was a pale white lady with not the slightest of a Latino accent.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    "They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

    You can't tell me this isn't rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive.
    Yes, what happened 200-400 years ago was rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive....but it happened 200-400 years ago and has no bearing on the situation now. The fact that our ancestors acted that way back then does not forfeit our right to our opinions today. I guarantee native Americans felt the pioneers should have learned their language instead of asking them to speak English just as we feel foreigners should speak English instead of asking us to speak their language.

    "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

  8. #38
    Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever
    My FS/FT Bucket:
    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content Check out my Videos on youtube: Hidden Content

    ARMY STRONG!!!

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
    Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever
    That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by theonedru View Post
    That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.
    +1
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •