Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I don't have a problem with anyone speaking spanish or any other language they like. Unfortunately I only speak english so if anyone wants to have a conversation with me they have to speak in my language. Whenever I need to speak to someone who appears to be of hispanic decent I speak to them in english because that's all I know. If they can't speak english (or don't want to speak to me for that matter) they will simply say that they don't speak english. Funny thing is that I have many hispanic people and even an asian lady come up to me and try to speak to me in spanish. BTW I am Black. Mabey they think that I am dominican.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Get use to it and you should learn a second language if you already do not know one. Notice I did not say Spanish just that you learn one....

Funny story.... many times I have had white people talk to me in Spanish and I look at them and say "what?" Of course I can speak Spanish but why do they assume that I can't speak English.

Please don't worry. Its not like Mexican people are going to push you off your land, force on to a reservation and strip you of your culture.

I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

I would think that most people if the are in the united states regardless of what language they speak would understand if you nod their head and say hello to them. They can take the conversation from there if they need something.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Perhaps thats the problem, just because I am hispanic, they only think I know spanish. I can tell you I deal with People that still think New Mexico is a part of Mexico. I am 48 born here in the US and the fact that they think I do not know English bugs me.

Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.

When Americans go to a foreign country and make no attempt to learn the language of that country, we are called rude, ignorant Americans.

When others come to America and do the same, we are called rude, ignorant, culturally insensitive Americans.

+1

"They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

You can't tell me this isn't rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive.

Brace yourself buddy, the Spanish Conquistadores did the same thing in Central and South America. They forced them to accept Spanish as their language and Catholicism as their religion and killed millions of natives who refused to conform.

Spanish is no more their native language than English is the native language of the USA.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See zaccheus85's Items on eBay

Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.

D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?

I am proud to be a natural born American citizen, proud that I live in the greatest country in the world, but perhaps Americans should grow as individuals instead of making immigrants drastically change to become American. While English might be the natural choice to be the national language of the United States of America (since it is the most oft-used language in America for business, education, etc...), would it be better (socially, economically, politically, educationally, etc...) for our nation if all immigrants learn English, or if all Americans to learn another language?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?

Probably more sad, but at the time it struck me funny considering she was a pale white lady with not the slightest of a Latino accent.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

"They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

You can't tell me this isn't rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive.

Yes, what happened 200-400 years ago was rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive....but it happened 200-400 years ago and has no bearing on the situation now. The fact that our ancestors acted that way back then does not forfeit our right to our opinions today. I guarantee native Americans felt the pioneers should have learned their language instead of asking them to speak English just as we feel foreigners should speak English instead of asking us to speak their language.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (178)
    Country
    See voltron_22's Items on eBay

Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever

That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.

+1

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast