Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

how to crash a professional signing

hey guys, i am ideologically opposed to paying greedy autograph dealers 50 dollars to go into their store and get a celebrity autograph. As a result, I wanted to share an idea that I have often kicked around.

If you know an athlete is going to be at said store at said time in a mall, if you could get there shortly before or shortly after the signing is scheduled to be and tell the athlete on the way in or out that you wanted to get his autograph but you werent able to get a ticket from the store, I bet you'd be able to get certain guys to sign for you in advance or after their signing.

Anyone try this approach? I am seriously debating trying it out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gocubsgo5246's Items on eBay

Why would you do that to someone that is putting a signing together? Just because you don't want to pay for an autograph doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Chances are the athlete won't give two craps about you not getting a ticket as they are paid to be there. Personally if I was the one putting the signing on and caught someone doing it, I'd probably punch them in the mouth...

SCF Rewards
    Country

i think at a payed signing for an athlete its going to be very tough to get a free sig from them coming or going. simple fact the promotor is going to be right at his/her side coming & maybe going & the athletes handlers prolly wont let you get close enough anyways.

I would say if the person is chargeing $50 for the sig & its not worth it to you, dont bother.

SCF Rewards
    Country

im going to try this coming week with a big star player signing. as for your comment if 50 dollars isnt worth it to me- i get so many star athlete signatures in person for free, that I will not pay for ANY autographs. If babe ruth was cloned and/or reincarnated im not paying 75 bucks for him to sign for me. It's more just a financial and ideological objection to having to pay someone. I have gotten all stars and hall of famers for free.

Yes it definitely limits the players you can get to a certain extent, but my wallet is heavier and my collection is still formidable.

What I don't get is how these working class guys can throw down 200 dollars a pop for autos of guys like Roy Halladay or something all the time. I am in a better financial state than that and still could NEVER justify that kind of signing, and I am a huge fan.

And yes, I understand that it will probably annoy the booking agent for the signing, but it is by no means illegal and not even unethical to request a free autograph as the player is coming or going. And as for some psychotic booking agent punching me in the mouth, that's why private citizens have the right to bear arms.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See don't have ebay's Items on eBay

I've been to Steiner for Hank Aaron, Phil Hughes, and Joba Chamerlain. They usually had people walk in with them. First, they do a private signing in the back room of the Steiner Store for items to be sold online/in store. Then, when they walk out they have their manager/store manager/handlers or whatever walking out with them. I saw Phil Hughes walk in and he had 2 guys with him and he said hello and stuff on the way in, but didnt sign

SCF Rewards
    Country

Really?

This past summer I was in Cooperstown the Friday of induction weekend. I was standing under a tent with a ton of people because it was storming out. Fergie Jenkins walks out of a pizza place and is hanging out for a second. A dad and his little kid(both rocking Cubs hats) walk by and the dad tells the kid all about Fergie and they walk up and the little kid politely asks Mr. Jenkins to sign his ball. Fergie, who may be the nicest HOFer I met that day, signs it for him and talks to him about playing baseball for a minute.

Within 2 seconds of the little kid walking away beaming ear to ear with a smile about 10 people in their 20s-30s run up to Fergie and jump on him demanding free autos. They couldn't let a nice moment for a little kid just happen but instead needed to scam what they could out of it. Fergie politely declined and went back into the store next door where he was signing for $25. The guy couldn't even get a minute to himself or do something nice for a kid without people ruining it.

My point is "crashing a signing" or demanding free autos because so and so got one and getting ™™™™™™ about it just alienate athletes and makes handlers more and more a necessity.

One thing I heard when I was waiting in the Reggie Jackson line(for 3hrs) was some people will wait until the end of a signing time frame and if the line is empty they'll try and cut a deal with the promoter or store for a free inscription or discount. The guy behind me in line said a lot of time they'll tell you to get lost but sometimes you can luck out. Personally I've never tried it and after seeing guys arrive late and leave early wouldn't chance it but if your dead set on saving a couple bucks it may be an option that doesn't involve hiding in the shadows or jumping all over an athlete for an auto.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (46) Trader Retreat
    Country

I've been to Steiner for Hank Aaron, Phil Hughes, and Joba Chamberlain. They usually had people walk in with them. First, they do a private signing in the back room of the Steiner Store for items to be sold online/in store. Then, when they walk out they have their manager/store manager/handlers or whatever walking out with them. I saw Phil Hughes walk in and he had 2 guys with him and he said hello and stuff on the way in, but didnt sign

This is how my local store does it too, but w/ the Mall Security (yeah, it's in a mall) making sure those who didn't pay to see him can't get within spitting distance of him.

Just don't do it, because then you not only PO the store owner: but the chances are the player too. And guess what, both of those guys have a lot of friends and can remember a place really well. The players will tell their teammates not to sign at _______ because you will asked to give a free sig, which means the owner would have trouble bringing players in. Keep this worse case scenario going and you just closed that store. Either pay for it or don't try and live without his scribble.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

If it is any sort of legitimate signing the promoter will have it in the contract for the celebrity not to sign anything on his way to or from the signing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know how you can criticize the dealer/shop owner. He's doing you ( the collector ) a service. He probably makes little to nothing ( maybe a few free auto's )
    from doing it. Seems to me like the REAL thief here is the star player, who's making millions every year.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See autocollectr79's Items on eBay

cyberer- yes it does work. not always but ive gotten autographs from events where there are multiple athletes at (ex. national sports card show) u may not be able to get specifically the ones u want but out of all the athletes,u wont walk away empty handed.some do get mad and tell u buy a ticket but some will sign.never tried for an individual signing.i say go for it and good luck

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast