Some issues with TTM autographs

Hi All-

I'm new to this forum. I'm 36 years old and recently started writing to ballplayers to get cards signed, just like I did when I was a kid. It's such a cool feeling checking your mail and having an autograph awaiting! I sent the cards out in late October, early November.

However, I had a couple of problems and wondered if anyone might offer some assistance.

#1- Nonmachineable Stamp: I got 2 cards back from Bobby Doerr, but the envelope was stamped "Postage Due - Nonmachineable." This concerned me because I had sent off about 15 cards in the same way -- with an SASE with 1st class postage, ie a Forever Stamp. I'm not sure how I still wound up getting the Doerr cards in the mail, given that the postage due. But it really concerns me that I might not get any of the other cards back that I sent. That said, I got Jim Bunning (1 card) and Wade Boggs (also one card, albeit a thicker Topps Museum Collection card) back autographed with no postage. I'm still waiting on Chris Sabo, who seems to be a reliable signer according to this forum. (I wrote to some others, but have since learned that they aren't the best signers, so I may never see those cards anyway) Do you guys always put an extra 20 cent stamp on the SASE, in addition to the Forever stamp? Has anyone else had the Nonmachineable issue? It seems crazy that the USPS would charge EXTRA because an item is too light, but that seems to be the case.

#2 - Cards getting bent. I got my Wade Boggs autograph back on a 2013 Topps Museum Collection card. As you know, these are much thicker than the average baseball card. I was shocked to see a crease than ran from right to left though, almost as though someone had bent it intentionally when it was out of the envelope. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I swear the card was in perfect shape when I sent it.

Thanks for the feedback. This has been a cool experience and I enjoy reading everyone's accounts!

Best,
    Dan

2. Wata Photo
    If you don't use any backing (or stick to 2-3 index cards), if you send 3 cards or less you should never have postage due. If the envelope is 'rigid' you will everytime.

As for the thicker cards getting bent, I would just recommend sending those as 'nonmachineable' or not at all!

Looking for Vintage Hall of Famers (on Modern Cards), Yankees, and Nationals!!

Hidden Content

what success do you have sending cards to get signed? I helped kids to this back in the late 80's (and it was how I actually decided to get my degree in Public relations).....anyway, I figured this was a lost art. I'd love to be able to get some cards signed since I never get the chance to go to the ballparks anymore. Thanks.

I always use 1 forever stamp, and try to use around 4 index cards for protection. I have never had a problem with my cards (8x10's are a different story) getting bent or not enough postage. An added perk of sending index cards is sometimes those come back signed too!!

If you write "Do Not Bend" on the envelope, it is technically non-machinable, and more money is needed.
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:500!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):116
    Percent Complete:65.79

Quote Originally Posted by arfmax View Post
    If you write "Do Not Bend" on the envelope, it is technically non-machinable, and more money is needed.
    That's not true. I write do not bend on all my envelopes, with a single forever stamp, and have never had a single problem.
    Check out my trade list:
    Hidden Content
    Help me build my through the mail auto collection by visiting my success thread & bucket- over 50 in all:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Pretty much any thick card runs a high risk of coming back creased. They simply don't fit through the machines.
    -In Peru until February 1st. Will have very limited internet access.-

cyberer:I write do not bend on mine as well, however, if you show it to a postal employee, they will say that do not bend makes it non machinable, since the machinable can be bent. So, "technically", you should put the non-machinable surcharge on every TTM request that is do not bend.

I have had very few bent in my 1000's of mailings, however, one of the definite ones that got bent was a jersey card that I sent. I have only sent one jersey card, but had 100% bend rate on that.
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:500!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):116
    Percent Complete:65.79