Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See onepimptiger's Items on eBay

Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said...

...The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, which Locke said will be released by the president in the next few months. (An early version was publicly released last summer.)

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

The Commerce Department will be setting up a national program office to work on this project, Locke said.

Details about the "trusted identity" project are unusually scarce. Last year's announcement referenced a possible forthcoming smart card or digital certificate that would prove that online users are who they say they are. These digital IDs would be offered to consumers by online vendors for financial transactions.

Schmidt stressed today that anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible on the Internet. "I don't have to get a credential if I don't want to," he said. There's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge," and "we need the private sector to lead the implementation of this," he said.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Eh, I'm not a fan of this.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

I like how they had to say it's not a national ID card......This administration looks worse and worse by the hour.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See intimadator2007's Items on eBay

So now they want acess to everybody's passwords ...If it anit broke don't fix it ..However the Adminisrtation is broke and needs fixin'..

BANNED

Country
    See lindat32's Items on eBay

If Americans were not such cowards this would not be an issue as there would have been an uprising along time ago.... Way too much complacency and not enough revolution. Makes me wonder what it will really take for us to finally shove back.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I see two issues with this:

1) This will give the govt. full access to our personal lives. Many will say "If you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?" and my response will be "If I am not doing anything wrong then why do I have to be subjected to an invasion of my privacy and being treated like I am doing something wrong?"

Make no mistake. The govt. does not respect the rights of the individual. The 4th Amendment only applies if they are caught breaking it.

2) This is the first step in taxing internet usage. If you have to enter your I.D. number for every transaction (eBay, on-line shopping, etc.) then this will open the door for the Fed to start taxing your purchases. After that they will start taxing you for the amount of time you are on-line.

No matter what the Dems do, at the end of the day it is about taxation and control.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants

I see two issues with this:

1) This will give the govt. full access to our personal lives. Many will say "If you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?" and my response will be "If I am not doing anything wrong then why do I have to be subjected to an invasion of my privacy and being treated like I am doing something wrong?"

Make no mistake. The govt. does not respect the rights of the individual. The 4th Amendment only applies if they are caught breaking it.

2) This is the first step in taxing internet usage. If you have to enter your I.D. number for every transaction (eBay, on-line shopping, etc.) then this will open the door for the Fed to start taxing your purchases. After that they will start taxing you for the amount of time you are on-line.

No matter what the Dems do, at the end of the day it is about taxation and control.

There is more truth to that statement then you will ever know. They have been trying to implement a national tax for years, and a tax on internet purchases as well.
    In Ohio, you are actually supposed to file your internet purchases with your tax return.
    It's a joke. All you keep hearing is it's not for this , not for that. It's all a lie. It's to set up future intentions. Just like the Healthcare Bill isn't set for a single payer system or has rationing ect, ect.
    As said before, it's all about control, and most of these ideas are coming out of one mindset.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shortking98's Items on eBay

There is more truth to that statement then you will ever know. They have been trying to implement a national tax for years, and a tax on internet purchases as well.
    In Ohio, you are actually supposed to file your internet purchases with your tax return.
    It's a joke. All you keep hearing is it's not for this , not for that. It's all a lie. It's to set up future intentions. Just like the Healthcare Bill isn't set for a single payer system or has rationing ect, ect.
    As said before, it's all about control, and most of these ideas are coming out of one mindset.

I think that is for state sales tax, as CT does that with us as well.

As for the internet ID or whatever they want to call it, I can't support something like this, it seems pointless and an invasion of privacy is likely to follow as has been stated.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants

I think that is for state sales tax, as CT does that with us as well.

As for the internet ID or whatever they want to call it, I can't support something like this, it seems pointless and an invasion of privacy is likely to follow as has been stated.

It is for state sales tax, but they are doing the same thing on a state level. It's garbage.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

it seems odd if one of the main reasons he gives is to eliminate having to remember multiple passwords. There are ways to log your passwords and still have them be secure if you can't remember them. I guess I'd have to read more about this, but at first glance it seems unneeded. If it does pertain to taxes and they are worried about it there are much better ways to make sure people pay taxes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast