SCF Official Review: 2010/11 Donruss Basketball

First and foremost, I'd like to thank our sponsors at Panini for providing us with this box.

24 packs per box
    10 cards per pack
    Current Retail Price (online): $57.99-$69.99

BOX BREAK
    - 3 Autograph or Memorabilia Cards Per Box! (At Least One Autograph)
    - More than 20 Die-Cut Parallels Per Box!
    - Find One Short-Printed DUOS Insert in Every Other Box

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    - Classic Vintage Donruss Design!
    - Return of the Rated Rookie -Including Some Autographed Versions!
    - 295-Card Base Set and Die-Cut Parallel Set!

- Autograph Signers Include:
    John Wall, Wesley Johnson, Evan Turner and Other Top 2010-11 Rookies, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, Magic Johnson, Derrick Rose, Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Allen Iverson, Kevin McHale, Artis Gilmore, Clyde Drexler and Many Other Current Stars and Hall of Famers!

WHAT WE PULLED

Base: 219/295 (74.2%)
    Dupes: 0
    Die-Cut Parallels (12)

Press Proof /100 (2): Nate Robinson, Marcus Camby
    Duos (1): Larry Bird/Magic Johnson
    Gamers /999 (1): Andre Iguodala
    Magicians /999 (1): Jason Kidd
    Masters /999 (1): Clyde Drexler
    Production Line /999 (3): Rajon Rondo, Tyrus Thomas, Monta Ellis

Craftsmen Amar'e Stoudemire Jersey /299

Production Line Jason Kidd Jersey /399

Jersey Kings Kevin Love Jersey/Auto /25

FINAL RATINGS

Base - 4.5/5
    Design - 5/5
    Fun - 4/5
    Value - 5/5
    Rebuy - 4/5

Total - 22.5/25 (90%)

Panini goes old school with the release of Donruss Basketball. The 295-card base set goes back to 1984 with its card design. While the pictures and colors stand out more, the front and back are definitely in a time warp. And then the rookies are denoted as Rated Rookies, which was seen until a couple of years later. There is a die-cut parallel of all the cards (including the insert cards). The two traits to determine this are the non-perfect cut on the card and the Donruss logo is in green, not silver.

Not seen in a while, a Press Proof parallel numbered to 100 spans the entire release. Inserts are abound in Donruss Basketball. From a focus to the guys who dish the ball a lot in Magicians to highlighting players and how well they do their role in Production Line, the memories of collecting in the past resurface.

There are three autographs or relics on average in each box. The most exciting of the bunch is entitled Jersey Kings. Another nostalgic set that was started in the early 2000s, Jersey Kings feature a player's jersey swatch and possibly and autograph on a regular shaped card, though the top half of the design gives the thought of a jersey from afar.

When first hearing that Panini was going to release the basic Donruss line in various sports, I could not help but be giddy. Some of the best design work and enjoyment from a box came from Donruss releases from yesteryear. The throwback to 1984 is a wonderful touch. It bridges a gap between card generations. Each pack has something for everyone from the Rated Rookies and Team Checklist to parallels and inserts. One letdown I have to admit is not seeing the Career and Season Stat Line parallels. These were great chase sets, since each one typically was numbered to something different as it was based on a player's stat. With that said though, I would not stay away from this one. While you complete most of the base set in one box, all the goodies you find is enough to make you go back for more.

Once again, I'd like to thank our wonderful sponsors at Panini for giving us the opportunity to open and review this release. For more information on all their products, you can visit them at www.paniniamerica.net.
    Last edited by Enigma; 01-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Hidden Content - Receive your choice of 2,000 card cash or a random free card from the SCF CC Store (your team/sport of choice) when you buy a box (prize boxes not included).
    Hidden Content , Working on Hidden Content For Charity

Hidden Content - 120/140 (85.7%), Hidden Content - 102/271 (37.6%)

***LOOKING TO PROMOTE YOUR BUSINESS? PM ME FOR ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES. WE HAVE RATES AS LITTLE AS LESS THAN $1 A DAY!***

Decent box!
    Hidden Content

#5 UNC Tarheels Basketball 20-3 (7-1) Tied 1st acc lead

2011 National Champions UNC Tarheels Mens Soccer!!!

I want that kevin love, that card is beautiful.
    Looking for- Lakers GU, auto's
    especially Kobe,Pau gasol, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Wilt Chaimberlin, Paul Goldschmidt RC year stuff.Certain MMA cards, anything hellboy related.anything the walking dead related
    Hidden Content