Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Country

Seeing athletes in public

So yesterday me and one of my buddies were talking and the conversation of requesting autographs from athletes/celebrities whe you see them in public. I'm not talking about a public event ran by them an organization or a team. We were talking about wether it is right or wrong to ask for an autograph if you see someone at a restaraunt or something of that assort. I said that it all depended on the time, the place, and who they are with. for example if they are out having dinner with a wife or their family i think it would be inconsiderate to ask. I'm mean yes its always fun to get autographs and stuff but there's got to be boundries. He said that it shouldnt matter where or when it is they should sign if they are asked, and should have expected it when they agreed to become "famous". I said anywhere but a restaraunt would be fine. I was just wondering what you guys thought? and if theres any places you dont/wouldnt ask for an autograph if you did see a celebrity/athlete?

Country

church is a bad place to do it, someone posted an article on here about peyton and when he signs and stuff and he said he wont sign in church, but everything else is fair game, including restraunts...but then again that is one of the best signers out there today

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would probably ask in a restaurant but wait until they are done with their meal and leaving. Church probably would not be a good idea.

SCF Rewards
    Country

People may say that I have no boundaries, but Jamie Moyer goes to church 2 blocks from my house every sunday like clockwork, and I have never sought him out coming or going from church. That is over my boundary. I just wish I would run into him somewhere else...

I think a restaurant is fair game on the way out not during a meal with their family.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I live in Iowa, so fat chance I'd ever run into anyone. But if I saw them in a resturant, I'd try to catch them on the way out, or something. I would never interrupt their meal and get a line of people going while the man is trying to eat. Church is another, not that it would apply to me. But malls, stores, streets etc. I'd try to discreetly ask for an auto.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspoe093's Items on eBay

If they were at a restaurant I would wait till they are done eating or wait till they are walking out. I would not interrupt them when they are eating. Also, church is a no no. If I went to church with an athlete I would approach them after church one day and ask if it is fine to get an auto after church.

BANNED

Country

i guess leaving a resaraunt isnt bad now that i think of it. I never thought of church...that could be a train wreck. haha

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

Pick your moments! I had a great moment in time over 15 years ago. I was outside a very popular restaurant where I live with my wife waiting to get in and I recognized Kevin Fagan (former DL for 49ers & UM player) who was also waiting with his wife. He is a huge guy but I took a chance and went over to talk to him & introduce myself. We talked for over 30min. while waiting about his time at Miami and his Super Bowl wins (SB XIII & XIV). He was a really nice guy and when I got called to go in first I asked him if he would sign the back of my business card (that's all I had). He said no problem and we shook hands (his hand pretty much wrapped around mine!). I'll never forget that day. I still have the card (see scan). About 3 years ago I wrote & sent him 2 cards TTM and recounted the restaurant experience. He signed both cards, sent me 2 more signed and wrote me a nice note... Carpe diem!
    Last edited by lizard-jd; 02-17-2011 at 07:26 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jyosi3's Items on eBay

The best time that this happened to me was when I went bowling one night with some of my friends. We always went on Thursday nights and one week the guy on the lane next to us asked if we saw LeBron there. We all thought he was bs'ing us, but LeBron really was there. I had a friend bring my jersey by and when LeBron was done bowling he signed about 30 autographs.

I would say anywhere is fair game, but pick the right moment to ask.

SCF Rewards
    Country

wish i could get lucky like yall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast