Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gatesnapper's Items on eBay

stay away from individual stocks. unless you are ok with the volatility that comes with them.

a mutual fund should be your only choice. the fees associated with them are way cheaper than buying stocks and it would professionally managed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Going to bump this interesting thread....

I bought 35 shares of CAT. I feel with the tragedy in Japan, they will be on the front line rebuilding.

SCF Rewards
    Country

stay away from individual stocks. unless you are ok with the volatility that comes with them.

a mutual fund should be your only choice. the fees associated with them are way cheaper than buying stocks and it would professionally managed.

Agreed, you can also save a lot on commissions because many mutual funds are no load.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (18)
    Country

Maybe you can tell people the easiest way to buy mutual funds. Where would they have to go?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Georgia Bulldogs New York Yankees
    See big_f_23's Items on eBay

I actually have both a mutual fund and stocks, and in my opinion, everything I have read on this post is correct. Mutual funds are much safer options for you if you're just looking to save some money because they really don't fluctuate the way that a stock does. But, if you're looking for a little risk involved with your investing, then a stock would be a good way to go. Most mutual funds have a minimum balance that you must open with, so you might not be able to do both. Have fun in whatever you choose! For stocks, how about these:
    XOM - Exxon Mobil
    YUM - Tricom Restaurants (Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut)
    PEP - Pepsi
    MCZ - Mad Catz Interactive (they make video game accessories)
    SIRI - Sirius Satellite Radio

Have Fun!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (17)
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Minnesota Twins Minnesota Timberwolves
    See Alwaysabc's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr
    Member is PayPal Verified

Most mutual funds require 2.5k minimum to invest and please please read the prospectus as a lot of them have Loads that they change on buying and selling that are not cheap. You could do an I bond they are paying over 4% interests for the next six months and worst case they cut the rate to 0 you still will make 2% if you don't want to take any risk. Otherwise picking a stock is not a science there is no math that will help you simply find something that looks hot aka everyone is using or talking about (speculation is your friend) buy it dont get a attach make sure you follow it read about it and know about it then when things look like they are going to turn dump it and take your profits. Stocks are just paper never get attached to them just remember that!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See NYCARDZ1's Items on eBay

I'm just going to give you my 2 cents.

With the fluctuation in the economy with people losing jobs left and right there is one sector that remains strong...utilities. No matter what happens people will always need to use gas and electric.

My recommendation: National Grid: Ticker Symbol: NGG

Feel free to PM or email me with any questions.

Steve ALLSPORTZ
    Last edited by ALLSPORTZ; 06-19-2011 at 07:58 PM.

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

I would first look into a Roth IRA. I started one when I was 18, and now I am 30, and the funds that I have all pay dividends, which is always good.

As for stocks, doing research is always the best way to go. As ALLSPORTZ said, look into anything utilities.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See NYCARDZ1's Items on eBay

I just made a quick correction on the ticker symbol for National Grid...it is NGG (Not NGC)

Checkout this link and read some of the news on this company. Nice consistent dividends. I believe the currently hold a record of 35 consecutive quarters paying out a dividend.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NGG

Steve ALLSPORTZ

SCF Rewards
    Country

scottrade is very good
    i'm looking into trade king as they have lower stock trading fees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12