Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did superstars sign?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Did superstars sign?

It seems that there have been windows for some great former players like, Pete Rose, Ernie Banks, Yogi Berra and now even Big Mac in the last year or two. I have been back doing this hobby for around the last four or five years. I was able to get Ozzie Smith and Tony Gwynn a few years ago and they have stopped. I was just wondering what huge names that signed say 10 years ago that I missed. Were there folks mailing to Mickey Mantle at his restraunt before he passed and getting signatures? Was there a time that Sammy Sosa shared not just his smile, but his signature with fans? Anyone around this board who used to do TTMs and have some great old superstars signatures that no long sign?

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is a great Thread.. I have seen a bunch of successes TTM for Dale Earnhardt SR that i missed out on. Me being a relative new to the TTM hobby that is one i wish i would have sent a request to. Dale was what NASCAR was all about & would have been a great addition anyones collection.

Johnny Unites is another one. Not sure if he was ever a good TTMer but in my opinion was in the top 3 for greatest QB's of all-time & would look good in my Colts pc..

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think Bill Walsh was a pretty good signer before he passed away.

If you look at sites like SCN it's crazy to look at some superstars and see a point in time where they were a great signer. Most NFL HOF'ers were good at one point. Guys like Marcus Allen, Joe Montana, and Lynn Swann.

SCF Rewards
    Country

good thread ive always wondered about some of the older guys. As for me i started ttm in the 5th grade as school project and as sports fan i got hooked. anyway after about 12 years lay off i recently started ttm again in the last year or so. anyway some of the guys iv gotten are; Walter payton, Tom landry, Weeb Ewbank, john elway, erick dickerson, many other that i cant tnk of

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The funny part is that I was lucky enough to have gotten Dale SR, Landry and Walsh prior to them leaving us. The sad part is that when #3 passed was about the time I quit doing TTM for a long time. I had seen those guys leave shortly after getting autos and then I stopped. I wonder who else was signing back then. I can imagine guys like Duke Snider, Bobby Thompson, John Wooden and Sparky Anderson missing from collections of the new auto hounds and they used to be such a mainstay for the hobby!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nextspeed's Items on eBay

I got the late Maurice "The Rocket" Richard, as he was a fantastic TTM signer, before passing on. Got Mario Lemieux when his TTM window was open. Also got Kareem Abdul-Jabbar before he shut it down on signing TTM for a while. It's a fun part of this hobby as you'll never know who'll sign.
    Last edited by tboculosis; 03-09-2011 at 10:20 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The funny part is that I was lucky enough to have gotten Dale SR, Landry and Walsh prior to them leaving us. The sad part is that when #3 passed was about the time I quit doing TTM for a long time. I had seen those guys leave shortly after getting autos and then I stopped. I wonder who else was signing back then. I can imagine guys like Duke Snider, Bobby Thompson, John Wooden and Sparky Anderson missing from collections of the new auto hounds and they used to be such a mainstay for the hobby!

dont forget about George Blanda. He was a great contributer to this hobby also. I hate to say it but in my brief 1 1/2 years of doing the TTM hobby, he was one of my first football guys i got & was the first legend to pass that i got TTM. I always thought him personalizing everything was what was so great about him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cal Ripken was great in the early 90s C/O Orioles. HOFers who were like Doerr in the early 90s were Enos Slaughter, Luke Appling, George Kell, Yogi Berra, Lou Boudreau, Charlie Gehringer, Al Barlick, Hal Newhouser and of course Doerr, Robin Roberts and Stan Musial.

SCF Rewards
    Country

dont forget about George Blanda. He was a great contributer to this hobby also. I hate to say it but in my brief 1 1/2 years of doing the TTM hobby, he was one of my first football guys i got & was the first legend to pass that i got TTM. I always thought him personalizing everything was what was so great about him.

Same here, I've always thought the same as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Back in the 80's I was fortunate to get a lot of HOF guys TTM. Mays, Aaron, Musial, Berra, DiMaggio, Mize, Slaughter, Kiner, Ford, Paige, Cronin, Cool Papa Bell, Roberts, Kaline, Mathews, Boudreau, Koufax, Drysdale, Averill, Gehringer, Dickey, Durocher, Feller, Greenberg, Grimes, Catfish Hunter, Kell, Killebrew, Lyons, Newhouser, Reese, Brooks Robinson, Schoendienst, Spahn, Snider, Wynn.

As well as guys like Maris signed TTM.

And future HOFers like Ryan, Stargell, Reggie Jackson, Gaylord Perry and Johnny Bench were good TTM.

A few guys back then would stamp: Ted Williams, Roy Campenella and even Joe Cronin. I still have them.

That was before the hobby exploded. We would use the Pink covered "Sport Americana" Eckes/Smalling address book back then.
    http://headshotsmostexcellentcollection.webs.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast