Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habs1909_2009's Items on eBay

interested too
    1- P.K Subban - Vlad Guerrero (Expos)
    2- Montreal Canadiens Centennial auto'd (current count: 125)
    3- Brian Gionta 10-11 Panini Certified Mirror Emerald, Black and Big men jersey auto
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sent you a pm!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See edthesandwich's Items on eBay

First off, I want to thank everyone for their interest to date. I apologize for the vagueness of the original post, but I needed to finalize some stylistic details before proceeding and didn't want to tell you all one thing, then move in a different direction. The initial post was designed to gauge interest, which helped determine whether or not it was worthwhile to proceed. It appears to me that it is.

What I hope to do is put together a list of the top 100 hockey card sets of all-time. The project coincides with the 100-year anniversary of the release of the famed 1910-11 C56 set, considered by many to be the first major card release. The sets would be ranked from No. 100 all the way down to the much-anticipated No. 1, with detailed write-ups on each set -- why it's so popular, what people liked and didn't like about it, and the key cards that made that set such a critical part of the hobby.

As Scott mentioned, this is an enormous undertaking, which is why I have been asking for volunteers. What I need are people who are willing to help me come up with rankings which provide a fair representation of every set produced between 1910 and today. I could easily come up with my own top 100 list, but that would in no way be indicative of the hobby as a whole; it would only represent my preferences, and would therefore be of absolutely no help or benefit to the readers.

I'm not asking for everyone to rate every single set ever released; that would be a needlessly time-consuming exercise for everyone involved. The plan is to send out a list to each and every person interested in helping out, asking them to rate only the sets they feel comfortable rating. I realize this may be difficult to do for a lot of people who don't have experience with older sets, which is why I'm really hoping to rely on the expertise of those who favour vintage sets, or products from the 70s and 80s. Don't get me wrong, the more opinions on 2005-06 The Cup or 2008-09 Black Diamond, the better. But if nobody rates 1965-66 Topps, does that mean it doesn't warrant inclusion? Balance is key here.

The end hope is to produce a detailed list with write-ups, either in PDF or print form, or both if there's enough interest. The list would be made available to any and all members of the boards for yet-to-be-determined compensation (that will depend totally on labor and production cost). This is the kind of thing that a lot of us will love to discuss for weeks on end; our hobby is fueled by debate, and a top-100 list is always a great way to get those juices flowing.

If you'd like to help out, please e-mail [email protected] and I will add you to the list of interested parties. Once the final set list has been compiled, I will send out a master list for you to vote on. This project can't be done without helping hands, which is why I send a passionate plea to all of you. Even 10 minutes of your time with this will make a significant difference, enhancing this project greatly. Nobody else is doing this, certainly not in a way that takes your opinions into consideration. Want to be heard? Here's your chance.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
    James (edthesandwich)
    Last edited by edthesandwich; 03-14-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

PM coming your way.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pinkyfloyd19's Items on eBay

interested pm me please

Country

Sent you a PM a while ago, did you get it?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Defaultlie's Items on eBay

I'll help out as well, PM me!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See teamchevelle's Items on eBay

Kewl idea.....email sent.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As it happens, 1965-66 Topps is one of my favourite sets ever. WAY nicer than '66-67....

Can't say how much time I've got, but we'll see.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See edthesandwich's Items on eBay

RLewis: I took down your e-mail address. Everyone else, keep an eye out for more details shortly! I'm hoping to have the list and parameters published later this week!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12