Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I never demanded anything, and I certainly didn't imply "OR ELSE". I asked you a simple question and your answer was anything but simple. You might want to go back and read it. (suggestion, not a demand)

I answered your 8:32 question in ONE sentence in my second paragraph of that 8:37 post; it doesn't get much simpler than ONE sentence. Can't you tell that most of the more complex part of my post at 8:37 CST, particularly the first paragraph, was also addressing other ground I missed when I was doing other things and had to be away from the forum for a few hours? There were many other replies since my previous posts in the thread, including some other statements you made about the exact nature of marriage, property, etc., so I covered all that, too.

Wow. Did you seriously think that first paragraph was all in response to your 8:32 post only and not other posts? Before asking someone to go back and read something, perhaps you should do so first yourself when you've clearly missed the different contexts of my two paragraphs.
    Last edited by WilyWestbrook0; 04-26-2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: explanatory addition

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country
    See AUTaxMan's Items on eBay

I never demanded anything, and I certainly didn't imply "OR ELSE". I asked you a simple question and your answer was anything but simple. You might want to go back and read it. (suggestion, not a demand)

You are obviously missing my point. Apparently your GOD, changes his mind based on what His imperfect creation's desire. That's a new take on it. But you are free to believe what you want. I would rather believe (if there was a God) that some of the authors of the Old Testament added their own contributions to the writing to suit their needs. Hence making some of it FICTION. Oh look, the point of the thread!!!

God did not change His mind based on man's desire. God and Moses made a covenant at Sinai, a covenant which God fulfilled and man did not. There was nothing wrong with the old covenant. Man's failure to live up to it was the problem. Because of God's grace, he designed a new covenant to fulfill his original promises and replace the old legalistic view of what it took to have a personal relationship with Him. In doing so, God took the form of man (Jesus) to bring to man the new covenant.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here's a question I have. If God has a "master plan" and a believer believes that He has a "master plan", why do so many of those believers pray for "results" rather than just pray for "strength and guidance"?

Because we make a mistake in asking for "results", when really we need to pray for just what you said; strength, guidance, and also understanding in his will.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As someone who was raised in the Baptist church I can atest to the fact that prayer for strength and guidance is common place. Praying for wants/needs is human nature just like buying a lottery ticket or a raffle ticket for a chance to win a car. Because God has a master plan does not mean he takes away our desire for things.

I agree with that

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I answered your 8:32 question in ONE sentence in my second paragraph of that 8:37 post; it doesn't get much simpler than ONE sentence. Can't you tell that most of the more complex part of my post at 8:37 CST, particularly the first paragraph, was also addressing other ground I missed when I was doing other things and had to be away from the forum for a few hours? There were many other replies since my previous posts in the thread, including some other statements you made about the exact nature of marriage, property, etc., so I covered all that, too.

Wow. Did you seriously think that first paragraph was all in response to your 8:32 post only and not other posts? Before asking someone to go back and read something, perhaps you should do so first yourself when you've clearly missed the different contexts of my two paragraphs.

I did read it. Your second paragraph is directed at SanFran22, not me. And with reference to that, saying the "Word of God" spans a great period of time does not answer my question. Yes or No, would have answered my question.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

God did not change His mind based on man's desire. God and Moses made a covenant at Sinai, a covenant which God fulfilled and man did not. There was nothing wrong with the old covenant. Man's failure to live up to it was the problem. Because of God's grace, he designed a new covenant to fulfill his original promises and replace the old legalistic view of what it took to have a personal relationship with Him. In doing so, God took the form of man (Jesus) to bring to man the new covenant.

Is this the "word of God"?

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vivchuleta's Items on eBay

The question one should ask themselves is what is my purpose of existence? Does my life really mean nothing? No one really knows the truth until the truth is revealed to him.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country

Is this the "word of God"?

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Yes. It is from the Bible. It is the word of God. However, those words (like most everything written) must be read within their context.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country

Yes. It is from the Bible. It is the word of God. However, those words (like most everything written) must be read within their context.

So how do you read that? I read it as God setting guidelines on how to purchase slaves. Why is there not a Commandment, Thou shall not enslave thy neighbor?
    Last edited by habsheaven; 04-26-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (376)
    Country

So how do you read that? I read it as God setting guidelines on how to purchase slaves. Why is there not a Commandment, Thou shall not enslave thy neighbor?

That's exactly what He was doing. However, you have to think about the context in which those laws were established.

Here are some good sources on the issue:

http://www.comereason.org/soc_culture/soc060.asp

http://bible.org/seriespage/taking-i...iticus-2535-55

Page 14 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast