Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

Tim, you got it... the reason most all card companies moved away from the old wax packs is because dealers would search packs for the good cards, reseal them, and sell them. Cellophane packs prevent this, and have enabled the current explosion of different card sets, inserts, etc. In the past, with real wax packs, dealers would make out like bandits.

Richie, welcome to SCF...

I understand what you're saying about the excitement of sending it in... but for the time and money it costs to do this... and the delicate nature of sending cards in, packaging, etc. to ensure that your best cards go for grading... it's a big process that most people can't afford or have the patience for.

By introducing graded cards to the average collector, the value of grading becomes appreciated amongst more collectors. There are some key problems I have with the whole grading industry, but overall, I would love to have every card I own graded. I certainly couldn't afford it, nor would it be worth it for most of my cards, but if I could, I'd want it. It'd make sure that my cards were protected forever... and I wouldn't have to think about the quality of each card.

As for a blind pack being pricey... that's just how the business goes. It's the same for any box insert. Typically, you get something of some value for your money with these. With Fleer Authority 2001, you got a rookie card, graded at least a BGS 8, numbered to 2001, 75, 50, or 25. Not bad in my opinion! In the Donruss 2001 hobby boxes, you also got a BGS graded Donruss Buy Back Rookie. Some were better pulls than others... but it was a great way to introduce graded cards to collectors, and a nice bonus for box buyers.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tytamkeira's Items on eBay

thekingpin

Thank you for the welcome. I hope I am going to be of help to some if not all. hehe.

Now with the graded thing I can understand where you are going with it. It is one of the if not the easiest way to introduce graded cards to people that are not aware of them. I personally have not bought any of the boxes with graded cards in them so I did not know how all of them were set up. Thanks for the info that you have listed and in time my opinion may open more to it. Take care and as always have a safe one. :)

Richie
    mookigremlin

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

thekingpin,
    Yes, I have heard many "horror" stories regarding the resealing of wax packs. Imagine buying a box from the 1960s (if available) for thousands of dollars...only to find it was opened along with the packs and resealed with all of the good cards being taken out. I'm glad they make cellophane packs now. Thanks for the info.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See just-for-cards's Items on eBay

I remember when Edge Graded came out in 2000.
    I bought some of that, and got several '10's that were worth more than $20 apiece then.
    Now, you can buy them for $1 or 2.
    Think about that! Rookies graded a '10' for $1.

I have stayed away from anything graded since they dropped.
    I just have a few BGS's from '99 and will get no more.

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

I agree. I tend to stay away from graded cards. They don't appeal to me as much as normal cardboard, or now, eTopps.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kingpinlc's Items on eBay

sorry to see you guys are so jaded on graded cards. Honestly, check out the ebay auctions for graded cards vs regular cards. The ones that you can get in a pack aren't as marked up as the ones you get by submitting. The reason is simple supply and demand.

Guess we all have our own preferences...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12