Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Looking For Info On A Piece Of WHA Memorabilia

About 15 years ago at the end of or maybe even after my 1st era of collecting I was at a garage sale and found a binder full of signed black and white hockey photos. Even though I knew nothing about it, it was cheap so I bought it figuring even if it's junk it didn't matter. I put it with my stuff and forgot about it. I recently brought over all of my collectibles from my dad's and found it while going through it. I have figured out that it is photos of the Ottawa/Ontario Nationals. That's about it. The are 3 sheets for each player, a glamor shot, a posed action shot and the third sheet is a official assembly of the two photos with the player's name, team logo, and WORLD HOCKEY ASSOCIATION . All three sheets are signed by the player. I don't have a COA so I have no way of telling if they are legit autographs. Collectively they are signed with a few different pens/markers and different handwriting from what I can tell. The odd thing about the sigs though is that they are almost all full names written in cursive with the exception being a first initial used on a couple of them. There's no illegible scribbling or numbers in the sigs which stands out to me, however I haven't seen many old autographs. Is that how they were in the 70's? I am curious if anyone knows what this is? Some sort of PR kit? Is it valuable? Do the sigs look legit?

Players:

Rick Cunningham
    Steve King
    Mike Amodeo
    Ron Climie
    Ken Stephanson
    Gavin Kirk
    Bob Charlebois
    Gilles Gratton (G)
    Jack Gibson
    Mike Boland
    Tom Martin
    Tom Simpson
    Wayne Carleton
    Chris Meloff
    Brian Conacher
    Rick Sentes
    Brian Gibbons
    Les Binkley (G)
    Guy Trottier (C)
    Steve Warr

All the players above have a set like these.

SCF Rewards
    Country

No one? Dang, I was hoping someone would have seen something like this before.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So I got this from the WHA Hall of Fame today:

Hi Erik, Yes they are team-made press promo photos (if they are originals -- fans have distributed copies for many years now.) They are fairly common, and without COAs for the signatures they actually can be worth less than if they were "clean." We'd love them (or high-res scans of them) for our archives, though! Best always.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kearl_Rob's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Joe Daily (The Patrick Roy of the WHA) has a card shop in Winnipeg FULL of WHA stuff... if you contact him (either phone or through the web) I am sure you can work something out. 100% A-1 Super Classy Guy!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I love the message from the HOF. It screams please donate these.lol I'd love to have them. I'd bet the autos are real.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I forgot all about this thread, sort of. I didn't think that I would get more replies so I stopped checking it.

Joe Daily (The Patrick Roy of the WHA) has a card shop in Winnipeg FULL of WHA stuff... if you contact him (either phone or through the web) I am sure you can work something out. 100% A-1 Super Classy Guy!

Interesting, any idea what the name of it is?

I love the message from the HOF. It screams please donate these.lol I'd love to have them. I'd bet the autos are real.

Yea, they want them. I am not sure what I want to do with them. They are from before my time and players I've never watched or even heard of. Other than knowing that they are a piece of history in a field that I enjoy, I really have no interest in them. I think that I want to move them along and put them into hands that will appreciate them for their history, someone who can put memories to the names and faces. I would entertain offers on them if you care to make one. I'd like to turn them into something that belongs in my PC.