Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

The Harper hype tells me baseball is still number one.

Not number one as far as sport in America but as far as card collecting goes yes it is.Follow me for a little while and this will seem obvious.I can't remember the last football or hockey or basketball rookie who has drawn as much attention as last years Strasburg cards and this years Harpers.I know hockey has taylor hall and football has tim tebow and this year it is cam newton,basketballs 10,11 class was very weak,can't think of anybody,the 09/10 class had griffin,wall,evans and jennings,but that still didn't push the products as much as Strasburg last year and Harper this year.

I can go into many retail stores and find 09/10 basketball,and alot of football products from last year,hockey isn't sold much in Mississippi so I can't comment on that.I have a hard time finding any of last years bowman products that had Harper and Strasburg,the product was mass produced but it has still dried up.Today I saw 6 2011 bowman blasters and a bunch of rack packs at a Walmart,I can almost guarantee when I go back tomorrow they'll be gone.

Why do you guys as collectors think this is happening,is everybody who collects baseball afraid of missing the next Pujols,Jeter,or A-rod big rookie card.I think mostly it might be the low risk high reward factor also,if you should get lucky and spend 5 dollars on a 20 card rack pack and pull the Harper,or 20 on a blaster bingo box paid for and everything else is just gravy.I like the look of this years Bowman so most likely I'll put the set together,so I'm hoping that I'm lucky enough to hit some Harper's along the way to foot the bill.

I still don't understand how the hot rookies will sell for a heckuva lot more than say a vintage semistar.I've been collecting forever and never understood that concept of collecting,The other thing I can't figure out for the life of me is how certain cards can book more than others.I'll give an example and these two are basketball so I'm getting a little off track but here goes,I have an 05/06 ud sp authentic chris paul rookie autopatch 4 color numbered 0016/1299,only the first 100 are autopatches it books at 400 high,I have a kevin durant 07/08 topps chrome rc white refractor numbered 49/99 and that one is only seen in sales of buy it now for 999.99 or above not autographed or anything just low numbered,very confusing to me.

Back on topic,I think in baseball most prospects will not pan out and their cards will go into the commons boxes at your local card shop or card show.I also believe if you do get that diamond in the rough the sport that will give you the most payback is baseball,look at some of pujols high end rookies and you'll see what I mean,also with prospects it could be a few years down the road till you know what you have,in other sports it's pretty much cut and dried whether your great rookie pull will ever be worth anything or not.

The hobby box prices are already rising and who can blame the card shops for that,It's a chance to make a quick buck off of the hot prospect and offset the prices of some of the bad releases they'll get stuck with throughout the year.Happy prospecting to all my fellow baseball collectors whether male or female,and may a nice refracting Harper grace your breaks,have a great and prosperous collecting day Steve
    Last edited by spuds1961; 05-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Don't use ebay's Items on eBay

I dont understand all of the cash being laid into "prospects" with the hopes that they will be amazing. Personally I would rather spend on established players and let others chase rookies. In the end probably less than 1% of those guys turn out

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree tdavidautos,I'd rather have the sure thing in an established stars auto or a vintage card whose value is already established and won't change.I will buy some product with prospects in it hoping to get lucky,but I would never buy a Rookies first card for an unseemly amount of money only to see his career flop.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Paintball_tx's Items on eBay

I agree tdavidautos,I'd rather have the sure thing in an established stars auto or a vintage card whose value is already established and won't change.I will buy some product with prospects in it hoping to get lucky,but I would never buy a Rookies first card for an unseemly amount of money only to see his career flop.

I won't spend large sums of money for rookie cards of players I wasn't lucky enough to draw, but my two favorite Hobby products each year are the Bowman Chrome and the Topps chrome products because of the prospects cards and rookie cards in these products. I also like to pick up for low prices the rookie cards of prospects that impress me before the hobby notices their ability. Although football instead of baseball, I am proud to say that I went big time on Tom Brady rookie cards before anyone in the hobby even knew who he was. I don't get too excited about a HOFer's auto pull unless he is close to death. This seems very cold but an autograph won't really increase until the person can no longer sign his name. No matter how long a person lives, he will never have more than one rookie season.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kencope's Items on eBay

I agree with most of the comments about prospects not turning out and being a VERY hit and miss investment. Harper, however, is an exception. He is the most "sure thing" highly touted prospect since ARod, and barring injury (which is always a big if), projects to be one of the best players we've seen in a very long time.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Steve can you flesh this out a bit more before we post is as an article? It's a bit short...

Cheers :)

K

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sure Karine,give me a minute.Bulked it up a little STILL TIRED FROM MY 14 HOUR DAY IS THAT ENOUGH CONTENT NOW.lET ME KNOW THANKS STEVE
    Last edited by spuds1961; 05-19-2011 at 10:07 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Transferred Feedback
    NSCF(1)
    Country

I don't understand how it can be considered a investment when his card prices are already through the roof. The only place his card values can go is down. I see his cards selling for more than Pujols and that's just ridiculous.