Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

If I wanted the players autograph enough, I would pay for it no matter what team he was on.

My point is that a team like the Pirates who are struggling shouldn't be charging money for autographs if it's not going to charity because a team in the top 5 in worst attendance evidently must need more fans, and doing this isn't very fan friendly.

To paraphrase what you're saying, the Pirates aren't good enough to earn money for charity.

Personally, I think its very cool of them to do, and I'd be more than willing to pay if there was a player I was a big fan of on the Pirates since the money seems to go to a good cause. I'm more of a fan of them now, simply because they're doing something positive for the community...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Did you read my post? I said they shouldn't be charging IF IT'S NOT GOING TOWARDS A CHARITY. My note said that you have to pay for Neil Walker's autograph that will contribute towards THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES. Once again, there was no charity mentioned in the note I was sent by the Pirates.

BANNED

Country

Hey guys, I sent to Neil Walker a few weeks ago, and today I got back a preprint along with a solicitation for a donation to Pirates Charities.

It appears that they are doing the same thing that the Detroit Tigers are doing- the autographs for a cause thing.

Just wanted to let you guys know so you don't waste stamps.

I will say they at least had the decency to pay return postage- my original SASE was inside their envelope along with my unsigned item and the preprint. So at least I can re-use that stuff.

Can you post a scan of the paper saying that it goes towards charity? I don't really believe what phillykid15's paper said...

SCF Rewards
    Country

My note said that you have to pay for Neil Walker's autograph that will contribute towards THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES. Once again, there was no charity mentioned in the note I was sent by the Pirates.

Note, I really hate pointless squabbling on message boards. It is very juvenile. However, I cannot resist.

Please pay much closer attention to the ENTIRE message on the back of the preprint that you received. I am pretty sure you saw the preprint and skimmed the back of the card without really reading it b/c you were angry at not getting the 'graph. The majority of the message is about the organizaiton's involvement with

THE MIRACLE LEAGUE.

No, this is not a fund to to get the Pirates to a miracle World Series (lame humor). The Miracle League is a wonderful program that aims to bring baseball to children and adults who would normally only ever dream of playing the game. Imagine a child with physical and emotion needs, stricken to a wheelchair. The idea of them playing baseball does not seem logical. However, The Miracle League makes this happen. They have created a modified game of baseball so that children (and adults) with major disabilities, with the help of many wonderful and incredible volunteers, can play the game.

It is really something special.

The is the entire message from the back of my preprint (also, I must note...it is a nice preprint):

"Dear Pirates Fan,
    Please enjoy the enclosed Neil Walker reproduced photo card for your collection. If you are interested in obtaining an authentic autograph, please join Neil in his efforts to raise fund for Pirates Charities and the Miracle League programs it supports.

Your contribution of choice for each autograph will help Pirates Charities carry out its mission of strengthening the community by supporting organizations and programs aimed at improving the lives of children and adults in the greater Pittsburgh area. Pirates Charities is extremely proud to support the various Miracle League programs in our community. Miracle Leagues provide children and young adults with special needs the opportunity to play baseball. Each Miracle League field is specially constructed with a custom designed field featuring a cushioned, rubberized surface, so that children with disabilities can move about the field safely. To lean more about Miracle League, please visit www.pirates.com/piratescharities or www.miracleleague.com

Please send the item you would like signed, along with a return paid-postage, SASE and your contribution for each item to be autographed to the address indicated below. Please make sure your check is made payable to PIRATES CHARITIES....
    "
    Last edited by JVazz29; 05-26-2011 at 12:15 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pdawson21's Items on eBay

anyone have an idea whether mccutchen will sign via this for a donation?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (46) Trader Retreat
    Country

It says Pirates Charities on the card, which you probably mistook as Pittsburgh Pirates. I will chalk this up as a honest mistake on your part...

SCF Rewards
    Country

From taking the time to visit

www.pirates.com/piratescharities ---- It is clear the organization is involved in a lot of programs aimed at helping children. Good stuff.

More on the Miracle League.

TTM Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants Philadelphia Phillies New Jersey Devils
    See arfmax's Items on eBay

The Clint Hurdle one asks for a specific donation to a charity that is researching a cure for a disease that his daughter was diagnosed with. I apologize for not knowing the name of the disease or foundation off the top of my head, the preprint is at home and I am at work.
    Working on autographed 1987 Topps Baseball set:
    Total Cards in Set:792/Total Autographable: 760 (6 Checklists, 26 Team Leaders)
    Total Autographed:639!
    Currently Sent (Outstanding):44
    Percent Complete:84.1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ted_noonan's Items on eBay

I wish the White Sox Charities would do something like this... The Tigers do and helped me knock off three Magglio Ordonez cards last season. I think it's a decent program for more well-known players as long as the prices don't get crazy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I threw out the card already, but if this is true, I must have just read it wrong. I have no problem with the Pirates doing this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast