Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Judge blocks public high school graduation in church

Hey guys what's your spin on this?

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...chool_gra.html
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I don't see why they couldn't have the graduation there. It's just a venue. As long as the church wasn't going to have someone get up before, during, or after the graduation and sell people on their church or religion, I don't see an issue to having it there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I don't have a problem with it either but would anyone have a problem with it if the graduation were to be held in a mosque instead of a church?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

good question. I'd guess that some would.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

I don't see why they couldn't have the graduation there. It's just a venue. As long as the church wasn't going to have someone get up before, during, or after the graduation and sell people on their church or religion, I don't see an issue to having it there.

Agreed. It's just a building. The point of graduation is the ceremony itself, not where it's held. If there's nothing religious about the ceremony, there should be no one taking offense. Frankly, I'd be more offended by a graduation ceremony held on a football field that features a Christian prayer to start it off (oh wait, I saw that at a public school in Texas) than a non-religious graduation ceremony held in a church.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I don't see the problem. Obviously, the size of the church makes it a good choice for the ceremony. the facilities are probably nicer than anything the school has. I do however understand on a basic level why this was not allowed. My issue is with the stance of the judge. Did you read her comments?
    "Enfield schools sends the message...that it favors the religious over the irreligious and that it prefers Christians over those that subscribe to other faiths, or no faith at all"

really? having a ceremony at a church says that you prefer christians to non? Thus my problem with judges. They get to make unilateral decisions based on whatever they feel like.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Perhaps the judge made her decision and subsequent comments based on ALL the FACTS of the case? Just a thought.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Perhaps the judge made her decision and subsequent comments based on ALL the FACTS of the case? Just a thought.

it is a possibility, but based on the way judges normally decide things, i doubt it. The truth of the matter is, many of these judges only get moved up in position when someone appoints them. In order to make a name for themselves, they have to make controversial or shocking judgements.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

it is a possibility, but based on the way judges normally decide things, i doubt it. The truth of the matter is, many of these judges only get moved up in position when someone appoints them. In order to make a name for themselves, they have to make controversial or shocking judgements.

That's a pretty cynical view to have but I guess you are entitled to it and granted there are times that that appears to be the case.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's a pretty cynical view to have but I guess you are entitled to it and granted there are times that that appears to be the case.

i admit it is cynical. However, follow any major judge appointment and what is the main thing talked about? their high profile cases. Those cases which distinguish them as liberal or conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast