Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Obama's Puerto Rico visit spurs anger, discontent

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110618/...1hc3B1ZXJ0bw--

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — President Barack Obama may have been in Puerto Rico for only four hours, but his brief fundraising visit has unleashed a growing political furor in this U.S. Caribbean territory.

Legislators of Puerto Rico's pro-statehood ruling party say they are resentful that he swooped in to raise about $1 million and did not offer any help or solutions as the island battles a soaring crime rate and higher unemployment compared with any U.S. state.

One legislator threatened to derail one objective of the president's June 14 visit: to woo Hispanic voters on the mainland in his quest for re-election.

Local Sen. Melinda Romero, a delegate of the island's chapter of the Democratic Party, said she has demanded an apology from Obama and will travel to the U.S. next week to meet with Puerto Rican leaders in key states including Florida and New York.

"The President did not bring anything to the table," she said in a statement issued late Friday. "His visit only served to take away dollars, just like they take away our young people to war."

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Cry me a frickin river.

They have no right to demand Fed government intervention in their problems after 50 years of demanding that the U.S. stay out of their business. If they have a crime problem then they need to deal with it themselves not jump in line for a hand-out. I could care less if their unemployment rate is higher than any state, they are not a state so they don't get the luxury of unemployment benefits.

Barack Obama raised a paltry $1 million there and now they expect hundreds of millions to be spent there to fix their problems?

Less than two months ago they were given the right (that they have long fought for) to decide whether to remain a part of the US or to become independent. As far as I am concerned all federal funding should be cut off until they make up their minds. I bet that once the American tax dollars stop flowing they will be much more open to being the 51st state.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

isn't this what most candidates do? When Obama came to Indy a few months back people didn't seem to think he would bring a bunch of money along with him.

I agree with duane. Sounds like they've had the opportunity to become a start. If they want all of the benefits then they should be the 51st state.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Cry me a frickin river.

They have no right to demand Fed government intervention in their problems after 50 years of demanding that the U.S. stay out of their business. If they have a crime problem then they need to deal with it themselves not jump in line for a hand-out. I could care less if their unemployment rate is higher than any state, they are not a state so they don't get the luxury of unemployment benefits.

Barack Obama raised a paltry $1 million there and now they expect hundreds of millions to be spent there to fix their problems?

Less than two months ago they were given the right (that they have long fought for) to decide whether to remain a part of the US or to become independent. As far as I am concerned all federal funding should be cut off until they make up their minds. I bet that once the American tax dollars stop flowing they will be much more open to being the 51st state.

Big hug for this.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I have never understood whay PR is not a state. They should either be allowed to become a state or gain their independence. From what I understand is they have to pay federal taxes, have no representation in congress, if they do something stupid go to a US federal prison.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I have never understood whay PR is not a state. They should either be allowed to become a state or gain their independence. From what I understand is they have to pay federal taxes, have no representation in congress, if they do something stupid go to a US federal prison.

Not entirely correct.

1) They only pay federal taxes such as import/export, commodities taxes, etc. The only Federal payroll deductions that they have to pay are those that contribute to Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare which is only fair since they are eligible to draw those benefits.

The only Puerto Ricans who pay Federal income taxes are Federal employees living in PR.

2) They have no representative in Congress or the Senate because they are not a state. A non-state can not have influence over what legal states do. If they want to be represented in Congress then they need to become a state. Since they refuse to do so then they have no right to representation in our government.

3) The only go to Federal prison for commiting a Federal crime, just like you and I. If thye break a PR law then they go to a PR jail/prison.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not entirely correct.

1) They only pay federal taxes such as import/export, commodities taxes, etc. The only Federal payroll deductions that they have to pay are those that contribute to Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare which is only fair since they are eligible to draw those benefits.

The only Puerto Ricans who pay Federal income taxes are Federal employees living in PR.

2) They have no representative in Congress or the Senate because they are not a state. A non-state can not have influence over what legal states do. If they want to be represented in Congress then they need to become a state. Since they refuse to do so then they have no right to representation in our government.

3) The only go to Federal prison for commiting a Federal crime, just like you and I. If thye break a PR law then they go to a PR jail/prison.

So basically PR is the United States step child. Puerto Ricans do not have any independence and only get partial benefits of limited citizenship. Didn't the United States once fight a bitter war against colonization? Now they want to colonize another land. Either grant Peurto Rico full benefits and citizenship or grant them their unconditional freedom.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not entirely correct.

Also Washington DC is set up on a similar system. I know this cause I used to live in DC. If you are born in DC you are considered a US citizen however DC residents do not have a voice in congress even though they must pay federal income taxes. That is called taxation without representation which is prohibited by the constition. Also there since DC is not a state there is no state penn. If you commit a felony is DC you are going to club fed. DC should be the 51st state and PR should be the 52nd state.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shortking98's Items on eBay

So basically PR is the United States step child. Puerto Ricans do not have any independence and only get partial benefits of limited citizenship. Didn't the United States once fight a bitter war against colonization? Now they want to colonize another land. Either grant Peurto Rico full benefits and citizenship or grant them their unconditional freedom.

I'm far from an expert on the situation but I had always had the impression that Puerto Rico did not want to become a state so they would be able to continue to not pay income taxes but I could be wrong on that

SCF Rewards
    Country

OK...good on point arguments and some far away from reality. I live in the states now since I joined the Air Force 4 years ago. I lived over there for 27 years straight and go there every 2 years to see the family. I also worked in the Governors Office for 5 years with 2 different Governors before the one we have now, reason I decided to join the Air Force. I would have been without a job right now. I worked for a democrat government, the one we have right now is republican supported. After living in the states I can tell you that I will love to see P.R. become a state but it will never work over there for a lot of reasons. P.R people are used to the way they live and nothing is going to change. Every year gets worst and worst. My wife and kids are over there right now and they are not happy with the way the island is going. I am proud to be an American, really proud and I serve my country with all my heart. I have been to war (Iraq). But I am also very proud of being from P.R. and it kills me to see they way they are going.

Politicians in P.R are a joke. The only reason Melinda was mad, was because the President did not meet up with the Governor and decided to have kunch with the Democratic candidate. That is the sole reaosn why they are making this visit a big deal. They need to realize that the people that paid to see him are looking for their own benefits, i.e. business people looking for new laws or changes so that they can make more money.

1. Puertoricans have been debating about becoming a state for years but when the time to decide comes, the big majority does not want to do it for a couple of reasons. One of them not having representation in the Olympics. If we become a state we have to use the US Flag instead of the P.R. flag. Then we will have to pay federal and state taxes.

2. We have someone representing us in Congress, but without a vote. So he has an office there and he talks to other Congressman about changes or benefits and then he tries to get them to vote on them and support those measures. His title is Resident Commissioner to PR.

3. We do not get partial citizenship benefits, we get full benefits, but without being a state. This is why the 3rd party that we have in P.R., the Popular Democratic Party, wants to stay the way we are. There are 3 parties in P.R.: those who wants to become a state (but like I said before, when the times comes, they don't get the votes), the ones that wants to be independent and the ones that want to become a state.

I will gladly gives you guys more information. PLease port your questions, concerns or comments and I will let you know to the best of my abilities.