Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice. Just joined this site hoping others are collecting hof autos like me. I started like 4 years ago and am at 170. I'll have to post my progress one day.

My only concern for you is authenticity. There are a ton of fakes out there. Just be careful. I just don't trust anything not authenticated, and if I buy something not authenticated, I make sure the seller personally guarantees it pass or a full refund.

That being said, all of my autos are authentic from cards (topps, donruss, ud, etc..), PSA/DNA encapsulated, or JSA encapsulated. At this day in age it is also hard to trust LOA's, or letters of authenticity (unless the signatures are in color and real vs. a photocopy or fake).

Sure, PSA/DNA or JSA authenticated stuff will cost a bit more, but they will also be so much easier to sell in the future in the event you need to.

Either way, very nice start. Once you get into the mid 100's autos start to get expensive. Out of 295 current HOF'ers, I'd say at least 50 or more are near impossible to get and will cost thousands. If I look at guys that I can get under $500, I will probably max out at 190 autos....

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good call whyconform, I am the same way. It is pretty much the accepted standard if it's PSA or a certified auto from a major card company, not perfect but maybe the best we have next to IP. But... even some signature cards are turning out to be forgeries. Check out this link for possibly the most egregious example

http://www.sportscardsuncensored.com/?p=219

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here is a very good example of why I don't trust PSA...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jimmie-Foxx-...-/120400354512
    That item keeps coming up for sale on eBay. I'm guessing he forgot how to spell his name!
    They are all guessing... Until they offer any type of guerantee then they (all third party authenticators) are useless in my eyes.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (139)
    Country

Here is a very good example of why I don't trust PSA...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jimmie-Foxx-autographed-signed-PSA-DNA-auto-/120400354512
    That item keeps coming up for sale on eBay. I'm guessing he forgot how to spell his name!
    They are all guessing... Until they offer any type of guerantee then they (all third party authenticators) are useless in my eyes.

That is crazy! I collect Jimmie Foxx and for them to sell that like that is plain stupid and crooked!

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is crazy! I collect Jimmie Foxx and for them to sell that like that is plain stupid and crooked!

I have seen PSA, JSA, GAI etc all have major blunders I have seen a rubber stamped Mark McGwire encapsulated by PSA as authentic! James Earl Ray as James Earl Jones the list goes on... Again I don't trust paying a company to put a magic sticker, letter or encapsulate an item for crazy amounts of money if all they are doing is using a S.W.A.G.! Maybe they shoul be insurance as well... Also they are known dealers them selves talk about a conflict of interest.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Here is a great one right on eBay!
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Recognizing-...00000001240919

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wouldn't get too down on the Foxx cut. I'm no expert, but I have seen it signed that way. Here is a link to a vintage album cut with another sig below it.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=48124&lotNo=44077

As far as the McGwire goes, I pray that it is not as it appears and someone later replaced a stamped card for an authentic one after PSA encapsulated it. If they are passing rubber stamps, I'll only be going Ip and TTM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Stefan,
    Sorry if the thread was hijacked but I'm sure if you were not that busy you would be chiming in ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234