Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Country

Recommend me a hobby box and win a prize or $$$

Heres the deal guys - I'm desperate to break a good hobby box. I've been hitting bust after bust, spending hundreds of dollars on crappy crappy boxes.

So, I've decided to turn to some fellow collectors - hopefully ones with more experience than me. Here's how it works. Recommend me a hobby box to break and explain why. The person who gives the best explanation and is the most persuasive wins a prize.

Some rules
    - Box must be under 250
    - Preferably under 150, but will go above for a great box
    - Must be more than 1 hit - Im not into the one hit boxes
    - Please avoid the "one hit bias" - in other words, if you're going to recommend a box please don't say its the best box in the world if you only busted one box and you got something good. Consistency is key.

Preferences
    - Autos (don't care if its on card or cut)
    - Not a big fan of rookies (Im not a big fan of the rookie heavy boxes)
    - Big fan of past players and veteran stars
    - The more unique, the better. I like the variety boxes - one box comes to mind that I used to like - UD portraits. Cool idea!

Prizes
    - Finally, a nice prize to reward your hard work.

1. Pick 3 teams - if there's a hit from one of the three teams in the box you'll get it. You'll also get all base cards from that team. (Exception - if the card has insane value - 300+ Ill make it, sorry, Im keeping it
    2. Pick a player - you get every card featuring that player

Or

1. 10 dollars paypal from me

Country
    See None's Items on eBay

If I had to pick a nice box id go with 2008 sp authentic football, it is a great rookie class... and i opened about a case and a half in 08 and pulled autos of eli manning, rod woodson, big ben, chris johnson, joe flacco, matt ryan ect... You get 3 hard signed autos in each box plus pro uniform, so yeah 2008 sp authentic is the way to go.

Also everybox your guarenteed 1 auto patch, and 2 other autos. There are all kind of star autos in that product, and even the base rookie autos you can pull are nice, like jermichael finley. Heck even the plane old base rookie u get 4 per box and some are around like $20 like steve johnson

Lastily Alot of people do the sp authentic set so even if u dont pull one of the big names like ryan, flacco, johnson, charles, stewart, mcfadden, forte, felix, desean the cards you get will be good tradebait, or sell decently even though it wasnt a top tier guy

The Leatherhead set in sp authentic is pretty cool to

Prize 1:
    10 paypal

Prize 2:
    Steelers
    Last edited by leopards40; 07-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

As far as bang for your buck I'd look at these:

2008 Certified: Good chance at getting veteran patches/autos. The price has dropped to $55 and with certified you have a great chance at making that back. 2008 also has a solid rookie class, so it's hard to go wrong here. You also avoid the 1-pack boxes that are done breaking in about 20 seconds. You get to have 10 minutes of fun instead.

2008 SPx: The fun-o-meter is high here too. 10 packs with a hit in each pack. Many will be rookies, but there's vets in there too. You can get a box for $90 and can get one of their cool multi-auto cards.

2005 Gridiron Gear: Not sure on the price, but if you like patches - this is the best product ever for awesome patch cards.

Prize 1 : Carolina Panthers, LSU Tigers? Steve Smith (CAR)
    Last edited by xposipx; 07-23-2011 at 10:54 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tictoc2687's Items on eBay

I HIGHLY recommend 2008 Certified! Xposipx is right. I bought 5 boxes of that at a card show a year ago for $50 a pop and I pulled some sick stuff out of that! Lots of old-timers and the rookie class from that year is actually holding up well! I honestly had an absolute blast cracking that product!

Country

Note to everyone - please list your prize preference in your post. Just write "Prize 1" or "Prize 2"

Prize 1 being the 3 teams and one player
    Prize 2 being the 10 dollars

For Prize 1 please name your teams and player

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cardfanatic35's Items on eBay

I think you should pick 2010 Certified, It has an awesome rookie class ( Bradford, Tebow, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Mathews, McCoy etc.) I have bought boxes (a little over $100), also been in some breaks. I will continue to open this stuff. I have pulled some nice cards out of these boxes, HOFers, stars, you get 4 hits a box and you could pick the hot box containing all numbered cards. I think you would like breaking these boxes, I think you will get addicted like I am.

Prize order
    1. Tom Brady
    2. Patriots, Rams,Colts
    3. $10
    Last edited by thomasfanatic; 07-23-2011 at 09:02 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pumba15t2f's Items on eBay

I like 2010 Limited. It has a nice reward/bust ratio, lots of veteran jerseys, patches, and autos. Current prices on it have dropped to around $80 a box. At a minimum you get three hits per box including at least one auto. Overall it is a fun product to bust (I am not a panini fan by far either).

1. Prize 1 - Browns, Broncos, Green Bay
    2. Prize 2 - Colt McCoy
    3. $10

SCF Rewards
    Country

I too would cast my vote for 2010 Certified. I have probably broken between 6-8 boxes of this stuff, and while some boxes are better than others, none of the boxes I have broken left me waling away like I just got fleeced. I'm not sure if you are a serial number guy, but if you are, the platinum hot boxes are a nice chase. Additionally, there are some great Fabric of the Game Patches ("NFL" and "Number") variety of rookies, stars, and retired vets. In my relatively few boxes, I pulled a sick Steven Jackson triple (tri-color) patch and a Bo Jackson triple patch.

They also have some big hits too (logo shields, SP Rookie Patch Autos, legitimate 1/1's), There are so few products where you can have a chance at an amazing pull, but lose the downside potential of the likely bust (ala Limited, Plates and Patches, Triple Threads, etc).

Of course...I may be just a bit biased because I was lucky enough to snag one of those big pulls a while back (scan below). But even the lesser boxes were a very fun break for me.

1. Teams - Giants, Rams, Chargers
    2. Bradford
    3. $10

SCF Rewards
    Country

To throw out something different, I always loved '09 Topps Unique. Boxes are pretty reasonable and there are some awesome pulls to be had. There are all sorts of CRAZY patches (jumbos, Reebok logos, NFL Logos, letters, etc. You name it, they have a patch of it in Unique). You get plenty of base rookies and serial numbered in every box, as well as a handful of hits (I believe three). It's just something different and is a lot of fun to break! Of course, there are some rookie autos but there are tons of big-name autos to hit as well...my favorite card that I pulled from Unique over several breaks was my Peterson/Harvin dual auto /25. One of my favorite products!

Prize 1: Packers...

Country

Thanks guys definitely considering all choices! Keep em coming

Doing my research on all of them - some are my style, some are not

So far, however, i've only seen one or two unique boxes. I have no problem with the big names but I know there has got to be secret gold mines out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast